Ethics of selling a motorcycle. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ethics of selling a motorcycle.

4 rules I typical go with when selling:

1. You can refuse to sell to anyone for any reason.
2. While most people either can't or don't read be sure you note any criteria for purchase in your ad.
3. As soon as things feel "iffy" stop the transaction.
4. Insist that any/all paperwork (transfer of ownership) is completed along with payment.

This is a business transaction treat it as such, be professional and expect professionalism.

Yamaha puts this disclaimer on their site when it comes to their higher performing bikes:

NOTE: The YZF-xxx offers a significant level of power and performance. It is not intended for novice or inexperienced riders.

I'm guessing there was a lawsuit at some point and their lawyers make them say that.

I always point that out when I have an inexperienced rider come in trying to buy a bike that's over their head. Most get it and move on to something more appropriate. The ones that don't usually back down when they can't get insurance.

More than one has suggested you need to accompany them to SO. In the past I have just called and notified SO to remove the VIN from my name.
Did something change??

More than one has suggested you need to accompany them to SO. In the past I have just called and notified SO to remove the VIN from my name.
Did something change??
I've always been under the impression that as long as I have a bill of sale from when it left my possession, then I'd be good. Taking a picture of their license seems prudent as well.

I've had parts bikes signed over to me that I've never changed ownership for.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Did something change??

Actually, this might work OK, not really 100% sure re the procedure.

When I sold my ST privately, had UVIP + bill of sale + kept my plate. He had cash + trailer. Person said he had a large cc sport bike, so I was unconcerned about his experience and the ST is not an expensive bike to insure. Never checked to see if ownership transferred, no issues to date 3+ years later.

Bottom line; proceed in a manner that you are comfortable with.

Often, the item you're selling attracts a certain customer. A "Gixer" is going to appeal to a particular type of rider or wannabe rider, and one that's only $6k and a few years old is going to open the prospective market wider.

It's definitely a poor choice for a first-bike, but the consensus around here (My opinion too) was that an ex-police harley was a poor first-bike choice for a popular poster here and that worked out spectacularly well for him. I'm sure it has for others too so you can't really know.

In my experience, the more questions asked the less likely the sale happens. YMMV. I always put as much info in the ad as I possibly can, including stuff about payment expectations, shipping, warranty etc. Maybe add to the advertisement "Would make a great track bike. Ideal for experienced riders.". It might dissuade some of the wannabe's.

Did something change??
You can remove it from your name at SO but you can't move it to their name. By going through the process with them at SO you can be sure that it is both out of your name and in someone else's. That minimizes your chances of needed to speak with police (although if it's out of your name, the conversation with police wouldn't be bad, just annoying and you would need to find and present any documentation you may have).

On one hand, as a big fan of free market, I'm all about anyone being able to buy and sell anything at any time for whatever price they see fit.

On the other hand, as a big fan of motorcyclists, I'm all about protecting my brothers and sisters on two wheels.

In July or Aug. I was trying to sell my Z900RS, I had a guy who came to see it, sat on it for a bit, and wanted to put money down. Then I found out he was a first timer. We agreed on a price while I mulled it over in my head.

Finally I agreed to his price, but gave him a firm warning, and told him we wouldn't wrap the deal until he slept on it one more night to decide if he really wanted that much bike for his first motorcycle.

He messaged me on kijiji the next day backing out of the deal...

Do I feel stupid for talking myself out of a deal? Yes.
Do I feel good not potentially exposing a noob to more risk than he was ready for? Yes.

Conclusion: Sometimes it's good to feel stupid.

I've had parts bikes signed over to me that I've never changed ownership for.

I sold a RD 350 LC for parts to a friend's brother in 89. Went into Ultimate to look for some Honda TL motor parts in 2009. There was a restored RD 350 LC sitting in the front that had some familiar looking marks on it. Asked Brian who's name was on the ownership. He pulled it out and handed it to me. My name, (old) address, and signature. Someone was riding it dirty.

If the messages really are that dumb, I would just put in the ad “not selling to new riders” to save yourself the headache.

You assume they won't just lie then. Yeah, if a 16 year old shows up and pretends to be an experienced rider, you know it's BS. If a 25 year old shows up, who knows.

I saw one ad say "this is not a bike for inexperienced riders, you've been warned but your money your life".

The last bike I saw for sale with this disclaimer was a Vstar 950. Yeah, wouldn't want to let any of those 55 horsepower get away from ya lol.

I've had parts bikes signed over to me that I've never changed ownership for

A few years ago I discovered that my first street bike, an '83 Yamaha Seca 900 that I sold around 1996 was still in my name. The shift fork was out of it when I sold it so I'm sure it was stripped down for parts, but it was a surprise to see that it (and a few other vehicles and trailers I'd sold over the last 30 years) were still in my name. It was at that point I discovered how to fill out the little form at Service Ontario that declared a vehicle in your name was sold and no longer your responsibility.

I don't need the money.
I'm a bike instructor. I tell my students to start small and work their way up. I should practice what I preach.

These would be the two biggest factors for me in selling a non-beginner bike.

My bikes are usually priced out of the market for beginners (that and I have a history of giving my used bikes away to friends), but I have talked a guy out of buying my leather sportbike pants for the track.

He had a A* jacket that wouldn't zip onto my Dainese pants. He was all set to buy it anyway, but I told him zippered was preferable and later talked him into buying a one-piece suit instead - I wasn't selling one.

I still have those pants sitting in my closet.

Whatever. 🤷‍♂️

I sleep well knowing I gave good advice and there isn't a guy lying on the track with road rash around his waist...

You assume they won't just lie then. Yeah, if a 16 year old shows up and pretends to be an experienced rider, you know it's BS. If a 25 year old shows up, who knows.
A 16 yo dirtbike champion may be very well equipped to ride a 600ss (technically, obviously road/traffic issues need to be learned).

A 16 yo dirtbike champion may be very well equipped to ride a 600ss (technically, obviously road/traffic issues need to be learned).

True, something else to take into consideration.

Honestly, if I was in this situation, I would offer plenty of advice and advisements to the potential buyer, but beyond that, well, if they have the money and seem to be above board so far as their understanding of the bigger picture, it's none of my business beyond that point. When I was 16 and bought that Yamaha Seca 900 I probably wouldn't have appreciated someone telling *me* that it was too much bike for me or whatever honestly, and yeah, I was in that situation where I grew up riding (my feet barely reached the ground when I was on a Trail 70 as a kid), so yeah, just sell me the bike.

You assume they won't just lie then. Yeah, if a 16 year old shows up and pretends to be an experienced rider, you know it's BS.

When I was 16 I owned my 3rd motorcycle and had been riding for 6 years (never owned a minibike). I would say I was an experienced rider. Rookie riding in traffic.

Well, gixxers gone.

It went to a guy who has a year or two of riding experience, and knows exactly what he's getting into. It'll serve him well.

Traded him for a Triumph street triple that needs some work.

He was glad he didn't have to deal with FB and kijiji lowballers for his Triumph, (and I'm happy to be done with that too...
I'll miss the gsxr, but a naked middleweight is more my style right now.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom