Engine cut off today | GTAMotorcycle.com

Engine cut off today

easyrider

So I took the bike out today morning, no issue with starting or idling, a block from my house it suddenly shut off, started again but after putting in gear needed to give more throttle, so coaxed it back home , any ideas ?

Need to post more information if you want a decent suggestion. What bike, how many kms, was the bike siting awhile, what have you done already, etc. etc.?

Spark, air, fuel, compression. 99% of issues involve one of those. in your case it sounds like the bike has compression and spark if it was running. lack of fuel or air may be your starting point.

How bad is the air filter, test the compression, if compression is low check valve clearance, water anywhere it shouldn't be?
Is fuel injected yes? should work on every compression stroke just like a spark plug, is not hit and miss like a carburetor.
If in doubt, pull one injector, leave it hooked up and turn the engine over 3 or 4 revolutions (obviously an explosion hazard so be careful not to be messing with a spark plug or smoking at the same time) if no gas sprays check the fuel filter next, it will have one probably inside the fuel tank would be my guess.

stock or modified intake mappings or exhaust?

... could not locate a free oem service manual otherwise I would check their trouble-shooting section.

Oh and safety switches or devices! those things catch you up all time, lol was your kick stand hanging down at the time?

Thx , will try to ride around the block tmrw and see if the problem persists
My guess is the air filter, changed it at approx 15000 kms so may be the culprit
Original battery still, no issues

Side stand checked, no safety switches either, bikes been pretty reliable , no problems so far, hope it’s not gas contaminated with water, had filled the tank up after last ride at mayfield and hwy 10 petro Canada

add: If valve clearance has never been checked it is due.

I would be amazed if an air filter caused you bike to cut out. At worst it would limit the power at high rpm and large throttle opening.

When was the last time you got gas? Water in the tank could give you your symptoms. Otherwise, you can start testing to find the cylinder with a problem (easy first test is a wet rag against each header while it is running to make sure they are all hot, then move on to compression/leakdown/spark/valves/injection if you want to dig further). Even if one cylinder quit firing, it wouldn't normally die, just run like crap.

40k for the valve clearance OR every how many years?
(y)
I have been seeing valve clearance issues happen after about 5 years service, no idea how many miles that works out to on a trials bike, I think you would need to measure valve train wear in hours. My cam rides on roller bearings, your twin cam probably rides on oil pressure and metal to metal where the valves contact the cam. It takes a lot more energy to drive yours so stretch on the cam drive chain will likely be more significant, which ever so slightly retards your valve timing.

Valve clearance has an adjustment tolerance of +/- one thou which is not very much.

Symptom is harder to start, it will cough out and die on you soon after you start up and take off. The overall performance loss is so gradual you don't really notice it until you make the adjustment, then you might notice a perceivable performance improvement.

Valve adjustment might be an issue or gas contaminated with water, will try to take it around the block today and see , any ideas of a good mechanic in Brampton? The powersports dealer closed as well as my original dealer in Oakville

Valve adjustment might be an issue or gas contaminated with water, will try to take it around the block today and see , any ideas of a good mechanic in Brampton? The powersports dealer closed as well as my original dealer in Oakville
@frekeyguy gets great reviews and is in brampton. No idea if you want a brick amd mortar shop

Do you have his location/ cell no. ?
You can pm him on this site, Frekeyguy. You can also contact him through his Fb page Motomechto.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

when you say you coaxed the bike home, can you be more specific on how it ran? and the issues of how it ran?

check the easy stuff first

pull the spark plugs and have a look/see EDIT- I like the suggestion (earlier from greyghost) of checking for heat in each of the header pipes - if it is difficult to get at the plugs

check standing voltage of battery
check running voltage

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom