Empathy for Lagos ... State Ban on Motorcycle-for-Hire - 4 hr traffic jams - daily | GTAMotorcycle.com

Empathy for Lagos ... State Ban on Motorcycle-for-Hire - 4 hr traffic jams - daily

OSIRIS_001

Site Supporter
North Western African metropolitan urban center Lagos - has banned commercial-for-hire motorcycles due to concerns over safety and security.

Motorcycle hailing companies are pivoting towards alternative forms of transport following the ban on commercial motorcycles and tricycles in major parts of Lagos, Nigeria's commercial nerve center.

The city has experienced widespread disruption following a recent ban on motorcycle and tricycle taxis

The ban went into effect on February 1 and prohibits drivers of those vehicles from using a number of routes in the city.
Commuters have been left stranded, struggling with fare hikes, and getting onto packed public transport. Drivers of these vehicles also have to contend with the loss of income following the ban.

Getting a little more congested ... people are waking at 5am to leave for work ... some are sleeping at work to avoid commuting in 30hrs of congestion weekly

Here was life before the ban:

1582759016849.png

1582759066684.png

Empathy? Uh, no.

What about that Nigerian prince that keeps sending me emails and financial offers to make millions. I bet he still has his motorbike.

I've worked and lived in West Africa
challenged region with some really great people
so yep, I have some empathy for those in Lagos

fairly good chance I'll be going there next winter for a few months - Lagos

Looks the same as the Gardiner and 401 during rushhour

Pretty much. And I have no empathy for people that live in/commute to Toronto, either. Sympathy perhaps, with a dash of sarcasm. But empathy? No.

What about that Nigerian prince that keeps sending me emails and financial offers to make millions. I bet he still has his motorbike.
57004868_1815298125241179_8284928159489458176_n.jpg

The true reality is that all humans are interconnected and interdependent ... empathy is what you feel only when you can step outside of yourself and enter the internal world of the other person .

Let's look at the fact pattern:
  1. Lagos has a population of over 20 million over approximately 1,700 sq. km
  2. GTA has a population of just over 7 million over approximately 7,100 sq. km
  3. Toronto has a population of just over 3 million over approximately 1792 sq.km (urban)
Comparing the two as equivalents is a good case for a logical fallacy - i.e. error in reasoning that renders an argument invalid.

Not even factoring GDP, average median income, number of pedestrians, drivers, etc ...

sympathy = yeah that sucks
empathy = I understand what you're going through because I have as well

women are built for empathy
men have to google it

This is nothing new, and no Empathy needed.

Kenya is going through the same problem (where I grew up), my dad worked is an Architect and worked in urban development for the countries infastructure in the 80's, at the time it was outsourced to a german company. He had all the blueprints from how to deal with population growth, the sewer systems, roads etc...Come 90's the locals wanted control over their country and fired alot of these western companies or kicked them out, tossing out all the blueprints thinking its a waste of money and resources. The politicians are corrupt and rather keep the money for the sake of greed rather than the country.

Fast forward 2003, we left amidst a new government election, my dad always said the city is doomed by design. Nairobi right now, faces similar challenges as Lagos. They took the Hakuna Matata saying all the way to the streets. roads and traffic are their least worries, try thinking of how much plumbing you need to flush that much waste from a dense city, if you can barely get a car of the road

sympathy = yeah that sucks
empathy = I understand what you're going through because I have as well

Plain English. He still won't get it.

Last edited:
Reactions: J_F

Back
Top Bottom