ElectroPlating Small Parts | GTAMotorcycle.com

ElectroPlating Small Parts

Delboy

My brother is building a little Suzuki T250 vintage race bike. I braced the frame for him over the holidays and he managed to get the Powder stripped of it and painted.

A lot of the parts like the chain tensioners and spacers are quite rusty and unfortunately the are unobtainum. They are solid so could be cleaned up and plated.

Has anyone ever as some small parts plated locally? It doesn't have to be chrome. Nickel or zinc is probably fine. Looks like they were zinc or cadmium from the factory

Somewhere that does small cash jobs is preferred... LOL

Zinc, nickel and copper electroplating is stupidly simple DIY stuff. A battery, container, Arm and Hammer washing soda and chunk of metal. Anything already zinc played or zinc, nickles (5cent pieces), copper pipe/old pennies work as the source metals.

Check YouTube for this -- there are about a million DIY videos.

Yes, I've done a bunch of it myself. Even bough one of those Caswell Kits a few years ago when they were having a sale. It worked OK

I think he just wants to drop them off.

May I suggest beed blasting, or shot peening the parts before plating. (not sand blasting) Your surface finish of desired parts will depend on the finish of them before plating, no sense in spending money on plating when its gonna look like poo because the proper prep work wasn't done. Shot peening will get a nice consistent finish on the part, so the plating looks decent. Pits and corrosion areas will show thru the plating and in some cases look worse than before the plating lol

just my 2 cents

For cash jobs, Ive used a place in Scarberia called M&M plating. Dude named Jerry is who to talk to.

Back
Top Bottom