Electrical upgrade on Duc 1098 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Electrical upgrade on Duc 1098

somebody

Hello,

I'm thinking of replacing the voltage regulator & battery cables on my bike as preventative upgrades.
The 2 parts are famously unreliable for the ducati 1098.

2 questions;
- any particular brand of mosfet vr that I should be looking for?
- Anyone purchased anything from motolectric recently? apparently their battery cable upgrade is recommended for my bike but not sure if there are better alternatives......for cost, mainly

Difficult to find recent info on ducati forum as my bike is old. most info I see are 10+yrs old.
Thanks in advance.

Shindengen FH020AA regulator... and nothing else. BE SURE to get a real one, all the ones on Amazon are knock offs.
Battery cables? The bigger the better. I wouldn't know where to BUY them, I would make them.

Shindengen FH020AA regulator... and nothing else. BE SURE to get a real one, all the ones on Amazon are knock offs.
Battery cables? The bigger the better. I wouldn't know where to BUY them, I would make them.
Awesome....I remember that name now....seen it somewhere but couldn't rememeber the name or the #. thanks. I'll look it up

Hello,

I'm thinking of replacing the voltage regulator & battery cables on my bike as preventative upgrades.
The 2 parts are famously unreliable for the ducati 1098.

2 questions;
- any particular brand of mosfet vr that I should be looking for?
- Anyone purchased anything from motolectric recently? apparently their battery cable upgrade is recommended for my bike but not sure if there are better alternatives......for cost, mainly

Difficult to find recent info on ducati forum as my bike is old. most info I see are 10+yrs old.
Thanks in advance.

Which forum? Ducati.ms has been my go-to resource for older stuff, especially the 916-era bikes. There's also a megathread for 1098/1198 transplants into the 916 chassis, so that could be another resource.

I'm not even aware if anyone other than Motlectric offers those plug-and-play cable kits, but then again, I'm still fine on my stock 998 cables. It's supposed to be pretty easy to make your own with welding cable.

A 1098 is OLD?

Anyway... the trick to making battery cables is the termination. Crimping the end is an acquired art, you NEED lots of contact area between the cable and the terminal and GOOD mechanical contact, THEN fill it with solder (to fight the green stuff), THEN heat shrink

I think I was hanging out in wrong ducati forums.......I didn't have much luck in those forums. lots of posts for latest models but hardly any on older models. I'll definitely try the ,MS. the motolectric seems to sell battery cables only. maybe you are referring to a different company. anyway, I don't feel comfortable with electrical stuff....just a plug & play for me.

Last edited:
Technicalities. 20 years ago the Tamburini design was still being sold as the 998. The 999 is only 19 years old!

:)

I like Tamburini's designs, but I'm also a fan of Terblanche's as well:

motoring-graphics-g_847252a.jpg

never anything wrong with how they look. not sure why they under spec. something as simple as wiring harness or voltage regulator....etc.

never anything wrong with how they look. not sure why they under spec. something as simple as wiring harness or voltage regulator....etc.
Just one of many little weight saving tricks. They all add up.

If you have your heart set on replacing battery/starting cables, check and clean all of the connection points that would be replaced to see if that helps first. I've seen so many mixed reviews on cable upgrades for completely different bikes that I've come to the conclusion that anyone who saw a substantial benefit probably had an underlying problem such as loose or corroded connections that were fixed when they installed the new cables. And if they also have regulator problems, that's probably not a coincidence - poor grounding is a common cause of failure.

Don't forget the Supermono
View attachment 53855

Yes!

However, most would like to forget the monstrosity that was the original Multistrada. Brings down Terblanche's fairly high batting average.

I saw a chopped up MS on marketplace the other day. Still butt ugly, but quite an improvement from the original (which isn't saying much):

multi.jpgmulti1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom