ebike good and bad in BC. | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

ebike good and bad in BC.

The phrasing of the law has to be changed. People hear "You don't need a license to operate an ebike" and their mind says "Since I lost my license for DUI I can operate an ebike because I don't need a license." How do we get baby talk into the judgement so the DUI can comprehend the consequences of his actions? NO ebike, NO motorboat, NO airplane.

Gonna go out on a limb and say anyone that drinks and drives has an addiction problem.

While we all agree that they shouldn't operate any motor vehicles, that's a band-aid on the symptom of a much larger problem. I'm sure the vast majority that drinks and operates anything knows it's wrong and they shouldn't do it. So baby talking won't do anything...and I want to suggest "force them into therapy" but there's tons of research and professionals that have said that's a waste of everyone's time.

So.....¯\_(ツ)_/¯

E scooters: I was talking to a guy today that just got one. He's only had it up to 65 KPH but it's good for 80 KPH. He used to ride motorcycles but was OK with riding this machine without a helmet. Those little wheels won't skip over a pothole well at speed.

He's at least 250 pounds and the scooter is 70 pounds. At 80 KPH that is one heck of a slam.

These things are a time bomb waiting to go off.

To be honest it looked like decent piece of machinery but I wouldn't want to see it lane splitting on the 401.

E scooters: I was talking to a guy today that just got one. He's only had it up to 65 KPH but it's good for 80 KPH. He used to ride motorcycles but was OK with riding this machine without a helmet. Those little wheels won't skip over a pothole well at speed.

He's at least 250 pounds and the scooter is 70 pounds. At 80 KPH that is one heck of a slam.

These things are a time bomb waiting to go off.

To be honest it looked like decent piece of machinery but I wouldn't want to see it lane splitting on the 401.
You still have to wear a helmet in Ontario and they are supposed to be governed for 32 kmh.

You still have to wear a helmet in Ontario and they are supposed to be governed for 32 kmh.
Downhill, fat, tailwind. What happens then? Sounds comical as **** but bet you it goes faster lol

The little motor probably won't go above 32 tho?

32 for ebike, 24 km/h max for escooter. He's setting himself up for tickets for unlicenced, uninsured motorcycle with no helmet.

My e-mountain bike is about 60 lbs with a 500w motor. I had it going 64kph going down a fairly steep hill.
It's tons of fun and great excercise. There is no way a regular mountain bike can keep up to this thing in the trails.
I was able to run 5 hours in the Ganaraska forest awhile ago on a single charge.
In a collision, It's doubtful it would cause any more damage than any other bicycle (at 32kph).
What issues are there if a typical, regular uninsured bicycle is involved in an incident?
I guess one can sue anyone, anytime for anything?

My e-mountain bike is about 60 lbs with a 500w motor. I had it going 64kph going down a fairly steep hill.
It's tons of fun and great excercise. There is no way a regular mountain bike can keep up to this thing in the trails.
I was able to run 5 hours in the Ganaraska forest awhile ago on a single charge.
In a collision, It's doubtful it would cause any more damage than any other bicycle (at 32kph).
What issues are there if a typical, regular uninsured bicycle is involved in an incident?
I guess one can sue anyone, anytime for anything?
I mostly agree with this and that is why ebike limit should have been something like 100 lbs or less not the 264 lbs that Wynnebag went with. I have no idea how much lobbying there was to get that ridiculous number passed. Fill up the panniers that most dui bikes come with and you are looking at 500+ lbs bike and rider.

Downhill, fat, tailwind. What happens then? Sounds comical as **** but bet you it goes faster lol

The little motor probably won't go above 32 tho?
It's funnier when they run out of juice on the uphill....I'm looking at you Islington Ave over the train tracks...many a hilarity to be seen there.

@ungoloth what type of e-bike do you have?

It's funnier when they run out of juice on the uphill....I'm looking at you Islington Ave over the train tracks...many a hilarity to be seen there.

@ungoloth what type of e-bike do you have?
Volt Enduro

Volt Enduro
Wow....very nice indeed! I like it (not the price) but if I buy SHIBA and it hits the moon...I'm in! LoL

Superveloce also showed some nice bike that he has...not a mountain bike, but still looks fun as hell.

I asked the SCORRA if I could use it on their trails...no response.

Volt Enduro

Acera, Tektro, DNM, Suntour, Welgo, Promax, <no name>. That's some pretty low end stuff hanging off it.

Acera, Tektro, DNM, Suntour, Welgo, Promax, <no name>. That's some pretty low end stuff hanging off it.
They obviously put some money into the electric bits and added the cheapest bike parts they could find to make it a bicycle. The same as with any other price point bikes, normally full-suspension means they cheaped out on everything else. To get the equivalent in top tier components, I think you are looking at ~triple the money. Linked is a Bosch/fox float/sram eagle for 11K USD.

Here's a canadian fox bosch/float/slx for ~$10K.

Last edited:
They obviously put some money into the electric bits.

Even then I'm not so sure. Never heard of Bafang. I'd guess Chinese knockoff. Anything I've casually looked at that even caught my interest (as in I'd ride that) was either Bosch, Sachs, Yamaha, or Shmoo.

I'm sure the place selling them clearly explained the risks. (snicker)
Haha. An acquaintance opened an ebike store and was pushing escooters. I asked him straight up where you could legally use them and he replied in writing that they could be used anywhere in the province. I feel sorry for his customers.

Haha. An acquaintance opened an ebike store and was pushing escooters. I asked him straight up where you could legally use them and he replied in writing that they could be Illegally used anywhere in the province. I feel sorry for his customers.
FIFY

The thing I find infuriating is there seems to be no clear law. It's a judgment call by a cop whether to charge or not. An electric car needs plates and insurance but when there are no regulations on the supposedly smaller stuff, where is the line drawn?

Should the police bust my neighbour's four year old for driving his Jeep look-alike riding toy on the sidewalk at 3 KPH?

At what point are toys no longer toys. BTW those kiddie cars used to be pedaled just like bicycles used to be.

A family down the street has an e-scooter for their little girls and the speed is a running pace. If the little front wheel hits an obstruction I envision a serious face plant or broken wrists trying to avoid one.

Everything is fun until someone gets hurt.

Whats to stop a enthusiastic dad from switching out a motor and battery to give his kid and edge on the other kid on the block.

The guy with the 80 KPH model apparently has a teenage son with no sense of responsibility. The scooter needs no key. Anyone want to take bets?

FIFY

The thing I find infuriating is there seems to be no clear law. It's a judgment call by a cop whether to charge or not. An electric car needs plates and insurance but when there are no regulations on the supposedly smaller stuff, where is the line drawn?

Should the police bust my neighbour's four year old for driving his Jeep look-alike riding toy on the sidewalk at 3 KPH?

At what point are toys no longer toys. BTW those kiddie cars used to be pedaled just like bicycles used to be.

A family down the street has an e-scooter for their little girls and the speed is a running pace. If the little front wheel hits an obstruction I envision a serious face plant or broken wrists trying to avoid one.

Everything is fun until someone gets hurt.

Whats to stop a enthusiastic dad from switching out a motor and battery to give his kid and edge on the other kid on the block.

The guy with the 80 KPH model apparently has a teenage son with no sense of responsibility. The scooter needs no key. Anyone want to take bets?
Not very grey. Escooter law linked below. Under 16, in contravention, you have to stand on it, seat in contravention, no cargo, no passengers, 45 kg max (gg-holy f), 500 watts, 24 km/h max, must be able to stop in 30' from 24 km/h (gg- holy f, it should be able to stop in 10' from 24 km/h). Municipalities are allowed to say they can't be used (Toronto has done this) and then they can only be used on private property.

Power wheels are not covered by e-scooter or ebike laws. They probably get picked up somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom