Easy Way To Quiet Down An Exhaust? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Easy Way To Quiet Down An Exhaust?

A couple of cans of that expanding spray foam, let it sit overnight, I guarantee they will be dead silent after that....

If they have a dB buster option you can try that, switching back to stock also works well. Most modding I have seen is on stock cans to make them louder....

Follow up… I have the parts (crush gaskets, studs, nuts. I finally had time to get it apart again and as dreaded the broken stud is being a bi*** and doesn’t want to come out. Please experts give me some suggestions. If I had a welder I would have put a nut on and welded it there but I don’t. It doesn’t want to move.

Maybe it’s time to buy a mig welder lol.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I have just used some heat on the head every time i have a tough one.

Follow up… I have the parts (crush gaskets, studs, nuts. I finally had time to get it apart again and as dreaded the broken stud is being a bi*** and doesn’t want to come out. Please experts give me some suggestions. If I had a welder I would have put a nut on and welded it there but I don’t. It doesn’t want to move.

How much of the stud is proud from flange? They make specialty stud extractors that use a camming action that squeezes tighter as your turn to unthread. They've worked well for me in the past on snapped studs.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

How much of the stud is proud from flange? They make specialty stud extractors that use a camming action that squeezes tighter as your turn to unthread. They've worked well for me in the past on snapped studs.

Approximately an inch I’d say, can you give a link? If what you’re describing is what I’m thinking it sounds like exactly what I’m looking for.

Edit: worth noting the studs are quite small, maybe 1/4”

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Last edited:
Approximately an inch I’d say, can you give a link? If what you’re describing is what I’m thinking it sounds like exactly what I’m looking for.

Maybe he is talking about bolt extractors?

0210801-23.jpg

Damn that suck.
Can you get any heat on it they some vice grips?
I hate Murphy and his laws...

Looks like this. There are other similar designs. Ultimately they work well because the more torque that is applied, the more the internal mechanism shrinks in size, gripping the stud even harder.

The other ones shown with the reverse threads that cut in to material may work, but will typically remove material due to the sharp biting edges and then slip off as the material is removed where as the one I suggested forces the biting mechanism closer in. If you don't have enough material standing proud from the flangr surface the other one may be your only alternative but sounds like there's enough stud left to grab with the one I suggested.
306b2a3a0557f8ec93dc57d124a0efab.jpg

Ed's Red

Pennies to make and works better than any commercial penetrating oil.
Just to add as another option, a lot of independent testing shows ATF is one of the best penetrant lubricants you can find. The viscosity, surface tension and creep characteristics and hence performance is right up there with the stuff marketed towards penetrant usage.

I have an old bottle of AMSOIL ATF that I keep kicking around primarily for penetrant usage. The only drawback is not being to able spray it at the threads if access is poor. But I swear it outperforms most spray penetrants and is pretty cheap compared to penentrant lubes as well.

Just to add as another option, a lot of independent testing shows ATF is one of the best penetrant lubricants you can find. The viscosity, surface tension and creep characteristics and hence performance is right up there with the stuff marketed towards penetrant usage.

I have an old bottle of AMSOIL ATF that I keep kicking around primarily for penetrant usage. The only drawback is not being to able spray it at the threads if access is poor. But I swear it outperforms most spray penetrants and is pretty cheap compared to penentrant lubes as well.

I have a pump oil can with no purpose in life, I will add atf to it. I have a feeling ed's concoction will eat the pump.
97737244_L.jpg

I have a pump oil can with no purpose in life, I will add atf to it. I have a feeling ed's concoction will eat the pump.
97737244_L.jpg
Apparently adding a little acetone (~5-10%) to ATF makes it even better. I haven't actually tried adding acetone. But if you're concerned with solvent damaging the pump, may want to leave it out. As long as the pump is rated for motor oil, it will be fine for ATF.

I just had a problem with a head stud. Welded buts on 3 times, the mig welds held, the studs twisted off below the welds.

I was down to about 1/2" of stud, so went a different direction, picked up this tool from Amazon for $30, it's like a drill chuck with teeth that grab the stud, the other end fits a 3/8" ratchet. Worked like a charm!mig.jpeg

Kept snapping off the mig welded bolts

ext1.jpegext2.jpeg

I just had a problem with a head stud. Welded buts on 3 times, the mig welds held, the studs twisted off below the welds.

I was down to about 1/2" of stud, so went a different direction, picked up this tool from Amazon for $30, it's like a drill chuck with teeth that grab the stud, the other end fits a 3/8" ratchet. Worked like a charm!View attachment 49492

Kept snapping off the mig welded bolts

View attachment 49493View attachment 49494

I’m hoping it works for me too. It looks promising.

Thanks so much for all the replies everyone. And I’m still open to more suggestions until this bi**h is fixed.

Back
Top Bottom