During a motorcycle claim, common to get a rental? | GTAMotorcycle.com

During a motorcycle claim, common to get a rental?

LePhillou

Site Supporter
I'm just wondering since we're 1 month in the process and they've been a lot less responsive in the last 2 weeks, have you guys been able to get rentals to be able to get around.
I usually run my errands with the motorcycle (we only have 1 car and use it mainly for kids/dogs) and i thought this situation would be resolved by the 1-month mark, which it hasn't. Would it be reasonable to expect a rental at this point? I'm fine with a car (since i think only harley does moto rentals) but it's getting ridiculous

When my FZ6R was in for repair back in 2014, TD actually paid for a rental while I waited...now mind you it was a Ninja 250, however, I was still able to boot around while my bike was in the shop...it was 7 years ago so things have probably changed, however, ask the shop that is fixing it and see if they have anything to loan you first, then keep calling your adjuster/claims person until they answer...

A big upside to getting a rental is that puts an active clock on insurance company inaction. Every day they don't settle your claim then costs them money. Not sure what is common/allowed. What does your policy say? If you can find wording in your policy, use that (eg "According to 19.4, a rental vehicle is provided for up to one week in the case of theft or total loss")

Never mind common, has anybody in this province in the last 20 years gotten a rental for a motorcycle out of commission? It was in theory at least possible

Edit: Apologies for missing ifiddles' post above half an hour earlier, in my defense it was still morning so that was like one mug sips worth of time

Last edited:
I did as well... 1993 though.
Bike was in the shop for repairs after a minor rear-ending...
I was able to rent a car for the time my bike was out of service

Alright, so not so common, i know for cars its common to have rentals but wasn't sure how common it was for motorcycles, i'll go read the policy if i can find it in my papers. They have a clock ticking as its sitting at the pound right now. They have 60 days to pick it up from there and its already been just over 2 weeks thats its been sitting there. The pound isnt free last i heard.
Problem is my original adjuster is on vacay, the backup adjuster is not responding to my communication and the original adjuster's manager seems to not care either. Everything goes to voicemail and emails are unanswered... i can only get through with chat support it seems and they can't do much either.
It's just a bit frustrating, missing out on the best days of riding

On your policy there's OPCF codes. I've been asked if I wanted rental coverage in the past. I never get it on my bike, but always have it on my auto policy.
My googler says rental coverage is "OPCF 20".
So. If you have OPCF 20 on your papers, you'll get a rental.(car)

"if your vehicle has been stolen and you dont have rental coverage, your policy allows for a rental vehicle for a set amount of time..."

sounds like im getting a rental

"if your vehicle has been stolen and you dont have rental coverage, your policy allows for a rental vehicle for a set amount of time..."

sounds like im getting a rental
Send them the email, cc everybody. "As per my policy, I am going to get a rental tomorrow. You have not responded to my last ** messages. Expect the bill shortly. Reply by end of business day today if you would like to discuss."

When my FZ6R was in for repair back in 2014, TD actually paid for a rental while I waited...now mind you it was a Ninja 250, however, I was still able to boot around while my bike was in the shop...it was 7 years ago so things have probably changed, however, ask the shop that is fixing it and see if they have anything to loan you first, then keep calling your adjuster/claims person until they answer...
How did this work, did TD offer it to you and arrange it? Did you have to push them to make it happen?

Insurance is weird.
Last car accident I took a quote in from a "non-preferred" body shop, which could do the work within a couple of days.
Getting underneath. Straightening out or replacing the steel bumper and patching up the plastics.
Insurance told me they'd have to go and inspect the car and the shop and it'd take a week.
It seemed like a hassle, so I took it to a preferred shop, which quoted me more, and advised me to get a rental.
Long story short, it took them two months to fix the cosmetics, as they removed the entire plastic panel and replaced it.
When I checked later, the steel bumper was still bent.
In the meantime insurance paid for the body work and for two months of minivan rental which was well over 3 times the cost of the original shop.

Insurance is weird.
Last car accident I took a quote in from a "non-preferred" body shop, which could do the work within a couple of days.
Getting underneath. Straightening out or replacing the steel bumper and patching up the plastics.
Insurance told me they'd have to go and inspect the car and the shop and it'd take a week.
It seemed like a hassle, so I took it to a preferred shop, which quoted me more, and advised me to get a rental.
Long story short, it took them two months to fix the cosmetics, as they removed the entire plastic panel and replaced it.
When I checked later, the steel bumper was still bent.
In the meantime insurance paid for the body work and for two months of minivan rental which was well over 3 times the cost of the original shop.
Well currently they're racking up pound/storage fees for no good reason and now because i'm getting reasonably impatient after a month and i need to get places, they're gonna be racking up rental fees. And i don't know what's gonna happen once they get it in a shop for the quote to determine whether they repair or deem it a total loss. Sounds like i won't be riding until october at this rate. Mind you the original adjuster i dealt with responded quickly to my calls and had the ball rolling with expected timeframes and what not.

No wonder premiums keep going up, gotta cover the inefficiencies
:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Well currently they're racking up pound/storage fees for no good reason and now because i'm getting reasonably impatient after a month and i need to get places, they're gonna be racking up rental fees. And i don't know what's gonna happen once they get it in a shop for the quote to determine whether they repair or deem it a total loss. Sounds like i won't be riding until october at this rate. Mind you the original adjuster i dealt with responded quickly to my calls and had the ball rolling with expected timeframes and what not.

No wonder premiums keep going up, gotta cover the inefficiencies
:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
Like OPG, they can just say "delivering the service cost xxx and therefore we need more money". The regulator very often approves the increase. No reason to be more efficient if you have unlimited budget.

Will add, the one time I ever had to deal with insurance fixing a bike, initially they were very responsive and it was arranged for me to bring the bike to a shop (it was rideable). After dropping it off, and the shop submitted their estimate... nothing. I'm pretty sure I was instructed to leave it at the shop until I heard back from them. Well... ok! It was Kahuna's smaller location on Steeles, but I imagine storage probably got expensive quickly. I feel like it was 2-3 weeks that went by, and then I finally got a call back from insurance, letting me know that they going to just pay me out for the bike and that I had to pick it up immediately and any further storage fees would be my responsibility. It kinda sounded like they had literally forgot about my case, got a bill and went ohshit

In 2005 Trev Deeley loaned me one of their 'loaner' bikes for a weekend when I was out west doing some volunteer work.
At the time, they said they had a few 'loaner' bikes when customers bikes were in the shop.
I am not sure if you would have received a loaner bike during a motorcycle repair or just basic service being done.

Back
Top Bottom