Ducati Maintenance, is it really that bad? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ducati Maintenance, is it really that bad?

While going to the show I really fell in love with the Ducati 696, I had initially liked the NC700. But I can't stop thinking about the Ducati.

Everybody tells me and has told me for years stay away from Ducati, unless you have deep pockets. I do all maintenance myself on other vehicles, and wouldn't really plan on doing things differently. Overall things look pretty simple, just do the maintenance on schedule. The only costly thing I can see are part and some specialized tools, but I do assume availability should be good with GPBikes down the road...and their prices seem fairly reasonable....

For summers my only trasport is my bike, I expect 15-25k season.

Any Ducati owners that maintain their own bikes here? Am I setting myself up for failure/poor house...

Do you know anything about adjusting desmo valves?

Search the topic also.

The maintenance isn't too bad. Just parts cost a little more than the Japanese bikes and the Valves have to be adjusted a bit more frequently. Check monster forum for intervals. I own a 2005 Ducati Monster 620 and I love it coming from a 2008 CBR 600RR. I too was worried about the stories you hear about DUCs. But most of it is just exaggerated. Also you are picking up a newer one. I don't think you should worry.

Newer Ducatis have longer Service intervals. However I think the 796 is a much more attractive option..

Ducati 696's published intervals are every 12K.

My biggest peeve with this bike is the fact that the battery is under the tank. Also, bump starting it is nearly impossible.

Last edited:
Ducati 696's published intervals are every 12K.

My biggest peeve with this bike is the fact that the battery is under the tank. Also, jump starting it is nearly impossible.

doesn't bump start? I don't get it..

I've had Ducs for a while and do my own work mostly. Its not so bad, parts aren't a lot worse than other bikes. It is positioned as a premium product , but its not crazy.
Its sure a lot less kooky now that they are a mainstream manufacturer with distribution in Canada.

I haven't had to do any more maintenance on my 796 compared to my ninja 250. Same thing. Just a bit more expensive parts. If you have the ducati software then resetting your maintenance light is a breeze. Since you sound handy and can work on the valves yourself then I saw go for it. Personally i would jump to a 796 or 1100 just for the extra horseys and single sided swing arm. check the monster forums for more info.

Got my first Duc a couple of years ago - 2009 1198S. It is no where as reliable as the japanese bikes I've had in the past - never had a rear caliper seize up on me before this bike. Never had a headlight/dash go out while riding at night periodically either. Never had such terrible customer support as from Duc N.A.

But I'd never sell this thing.

The number one concern will be the length of time it takes to get parts. If you are forced to look to OEM replacement parts you will wait weeks instead of Honda's days. Prices are comparable in my opinion. And the Euro is only going to get weaker!

Getting to the battery actually does look like a chore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U39gxrSGETE

On my buddy's old S2R 800 the tank had no fairings, was hinge mounted at the seat-end and latched at the other. It was super easy to undo the latch and just lift it up. If I were you I'd do it once and attach an accessory cable (comes with the battery tender jr) so you don't have to lift it again until the battery needs replacing.

Once you actually do the battery thing on the new Monsters once it's not so bad. Yeah, it's a chore, but anyone can do it. If you can afford the insurance, the 1100 might be worth looking at. The 696 forks have no adjustments, not sure about the 796, but you also get a dry clutch on the 1100 (not on the EVO though)

Ducati service is no big deal if you have average mechanical aptitude....especially the two valvers. You can get everything you need online for less than the cost of a dealer service visit.
you need a shim kit from ems ducati, a two valve manual from desmotimes is a must, and a few specialty tools from cal. Cycleworks and desmotimes. Desmo valves just need to be checked for proper clearance more often than bucket-shim valves...the job itself is not much more complicated than for japanese bikes and as the mileage goes up and the system beds in you will have to change fewer shims out.

you WILL end up in the poorhouse if you buy one and get all your maintenance done at the dealer

Last edited:
All good advice so far.If you buy a two valver,things go quite easily.A four valver will be a different story because the heads need to come off usually to change shims.

Buy my Hyper!

My monster has been great. I bought it in February and put 20,000km on it. I checked my valves and they don't need to be adjusted. I don't ride gentle either. Fairly regularly up to redline. I always put 300V in and use a good filter. Oil changes are easy as pie (about 10-15 min. including waiting for the oil to fully drain.) The belts are fairly accessible. You really don't need may "special tools". If you have a decent tool set in your garage then you should be set.

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Ducati service is no big deal if you have average mechanical aptitude....especially the two valvers. You can get everything you need online for less than the cost of a dealer service visit.
you need a shim kit from ems ducati, a two valve manual from desmotimes is a must, and a few specialty tools from cal. Cycleworks and desmotimes. Desmo valves just need to be checked for proper clearance more often than bucket-shim valves...the job itself is not much more complicated than for japanese bikes and as the mileage goes up and the system beds in you will have to change fewer shims out.

you WILL end up in the poorhouse if you buy one and get all your maintenance done at the dealer

If you plan to do the valves in the winter you can just take everything apart and measure and order the shims you need. This way you don't need to spend hundreds on shims you don't need. I do like the idea of the EMSDuc shim retainers tho. (http://emsduc.com/products.html)

Also if you don't have the tools or want to have minimal down time this seems like a good option. (http://www.ducatitoolrental.com/)

So far my Ducati Multistrada is running cheaper on maintenance than the Trophy 900. The service intervals have been stretched out, and if you do your own work, you should be okay.

Back
Top Bottom