Ducati collectors | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ducati collectors

A while ago I saw a beautiful ducati 999 for a VERY attractive price, it seemed like it was clean, original and in good working order, but I passed having just bought the SDR

and now that ducati is moving away from the traditional monster style, got me thinking maybe I made a mistake? Maybe I should have just bought it and stuck it in the garage?

Wonder if some of these ducs will be collectors items and a decent investment down the line, or maybe just a cool AF vanity bike that you can occasionally drive around sparingly like jay leno and baby in the meanwhile

Ducati manufactured many variants of 999, each with its varying levels of desirability. That said, I don't believe any model 999 will ever be worth more than it originally cost. The best you can hope for is mild appreciation from it's already depreciated current value, possible as some said, to keep pace with inflation. Definitely will lose money if you choose to ride it since maintenance and licensing and insurance fees will eat up any "appreciation".

Anyway, like I was saying, 999s come in many different flavours. By far, the most desirable are the WSBK homologated R models, of which they made limited quantities every year. It had top-shelf Ohlins suspension, Termignoni exhaust+headers+ECU upgrade, carbon fibre body panels, special paint/decals and the piece-de-resistance: the uber-go-fast-exotic-materials-made engine that made more hp than the base models. Of the 999Rs, there are three paint jobs, the base red, Fila graphics and the most desirable is the Xerox 999R that won a few WSBK championships. Next step down is the 999S with the upgraded suspension and white number boards and then the base model. Going off memory, brand new, R models were around $55K CDN, S was $26K and base was $22K.

Then there are the monoposto (single seater) vs biposto configurations (999Rs only came in monoposto). Even though both configs cost the same when new, monopostos are more valuable today. They also had a cheaper 999 Dark model with a matte black finish instead of the gloss black base 999. Although these were made in smaller quantities, I don't believe they are worth more, because they were a budget 999 to begin with.

To muddy the waters even more, the 999 got a refresh for the last two years of production, 2005 and 2006. The base 999 got most of the hp bump of the previous version 999R engines, even though it wasn't the exact same materials. Also, it got an updated fairings and many people think it is the better looking of the two versions of 999, and the used market pricing should reflect that.

I haven't checked lately, but as of a couple years ago, 999 prices have stabilized. 999Rs are around $15K CDN and should hold their value/slightly appreciate *IF* they aren't ridden. The thing with the 999Rs is that they are individually numbered (x out of 500), so it's easy to track them on Internet registry and classified ads. There's a janky 999R going round in Western Canada that's changed hands at least 4 times already (at least that's documented) and the current owner is asking more than what he paid for it, despite putting a few thousand kms on it. It goes up for sale every spring, but no 999R collector is touching it, because its history is so well known.

I don't see a lot of 999Ses on the market, but the base 999s should go for around $5K-7K, depending on year, mileage and condition. I wouldn't pay more than $9K for a pristine 2006 999 monoposto with low mileage.

Buy a 999 if you want to ride it. They are fantastic riding machines. But I don't think you're going to be able to wrap it up, store it and make money selling it in the future.

If you want me to take a look at an ad and give you my opinion, PM me.

But be warned, if it's a good deal, I will buy it out from under your nose. :)

Last edited:
Ducati manufactured many variants of 999, each with its varying levels of desirability. That said, I don't believe any model 999 will ever be worth more than it originally cost. The best you can hope for is mild appreciation from it's already depreciated current value, possible as some said, to keep pace with inflation. Definitely will lose money if you choose to ride it since maintenance and licensing and insurance fees will eat up any "appreciation".

Anyway, like I was saying, 999s come in many different flavours. By far, the most desirable are the WSBK homologated R models, of which they made limited quantities every year. It had top-shelf Ohlins suspension, carbon fibre body panels, special paint/decals and the piece-de-resistance: the uber-go-fast-exotic-materials-made engine that made more hp than the base models. Of the 999Rs, there are three paint jobs, the base red, Fila graphics and the most desirable is the Xerox 999R that won a few WSBK championships. Next step down is the 999S with the upgraded suspension and white number boards and then the base model. Going off memory, brand new, R models were around $55K CDN, S was $26K and base was $22K.

Then there are the monoposto (single seater) vs biposto configurations (999Rs only came in monoposto). Even though both configs cost the same when new, monopostos are more valuable today. They also had a cheaper 999 Dark model with a matte black finish instead of the gloss black base 999. Although these were made in smaller quantities, I don't believe they are worth more, because they were a budget 999 to begin with.

To muddy the waters even more, the 999 got a refresh for the last two years of production, 2005 and 2006. The base 999 got most of the hp bump of the previous version 999R engines, even though it wasn't the exact same materials. Also, it got an updated fairings and many people think it is the better looking of the two versions of 999, and the used market pricing should reflect that.

I haven't checked lately, but as of a couple years ago, 999 prices have stabilized. 999Rs are around $15K CDN and should hold their value/slightly appreciate *IF* they aren't ridden. The thing with the 999Rs is that they are individually numbered (x out of 500), so it's easy to track them on Internet registry and classified ads. There's a janky 999R going round in Western Canada that's changed hands at least 4 times already (at least that's documented) and the current owner is asking more than what he paid for it, despite putting a few thousand kms on it. It goes up for sale every spring, but no 999R collector is touching it, because its history is so well known.

I don't see a lot of 999Ses on the market, but the base 999s should go for around $5K-7K, depending on year, mileage and condition. I wouldn't pay more than $9K for a pristine 2006 999 monoposto with low mileage.

If you want me to take a look at an ad and give you my opinion, PM me.

But be warned, if it's a good deal, I will buy it out from under your nose. :)
Great post. Thanks.

For now, yes.We'll see...Francesco Bagnaia will join forces with the official team alongside the already confirmed Jack Miller. At the same time, Johann Zarco and Jorge Martín will defend the colours of the Pramac Racing Team for next season.

Ducati is 2020 MotoGP Constructors' World Champion​

Holy tamoleys. Imagine it was from 2007. Have a feeling this one isn't priced to sell.

Love how they offer financing at €3167/mo, and returns up to April 30th, too, just in case you have buyers remorse.

If you've watched that 44 Teeth video about the guy who owns a few Ducati ex-GP bikes, it sounds like the biggest headache is the electronics, which are sealed and don't come with a manual. Unlike hard parts, you can't just machine a new one if it fails, either...

Holy tamoleys. Imagine it was from 2007. Have a feeling this one isn't priced to sell.

Love how they offer financing at €3167/mo, and returns up to April 30th, too, just in case you have buyers remorse.

If you've watched that 44 Teeth video about the guy who owns a few Ducati ex-GP bikes, it sounds like the biggest headache is the electronics, which are sealed and don't come with a manual. Unlike hard parts, you can't just machine a new one if it fails, either...
Seriously doubt that the original "as raced" ecu is even in the bike.I remember when Ducati brought Hayden's bike to the Toronto show.A few of us poked around it and found that it didn't have any electronics in at all.

Seriously doubt that the original "as raced" ecu is even in the bike.I remember when Ducati brought Hayden's bike to the Toronto show.A few of us poked around it and found that it didn't have any electronics in at all.
Looks like it's the same bike as the first one in this video (at least they claim the same race wins):

Sounds like some form of electronics are in it, but not fully functional, either by design or because it requires setup. He says he can run it, but not (yet?) on track...

Looks like it's the same bike as the first one in this video (at least they claim the same race wins):

Sounds like some form of electronics are in it, but not fully functional, either by design or because it requires setup. He says he can run it, but not (yet?) on track...
I dont see an issue with them leaving the electronics in the bike as at this point they are old amd outdated.

It may be a issue riding it though. If you have a bike setup for one of the best riders in the world with a team watching live telemetry and almost unlimited maintenance budget, things probably wont go well for old rich bob on the track.

If he didnt crash it quickly (which is a likely outcome), it would probably destroy itself before much time had passed. Anybody know the last track this bike was raced at? Temp/humidity/baro?

This thing is the epitome of it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow and any buyer probably has neither the skill nor the expertise to safely ride this bike fast.

There would be a good chance Ducati, or NCR, doesn't own the ECU or the code on it, which may hold trade secrets.
If Ducati doesn't own it, they can't sell it.

Who remembers a HRC GP race bike, that was on display in Toronto, that got stolen.
There were no electronics, no injectors, no throttle bodies and the engine cases were empty. There was just enough bike to look like the racer.

I would think the ECU programming would be for WOT running at the low spectrum of that scale would not be good for the motor

MotoMorelli owns the ECU in Ducati race bikes, or did when Stoner was fast. They were sealed by Morelli at the time.

Fellow that brought two former Duc GP bikes to the Festival in Alabama has a deal that the bikes will only be started with a rep from Ducati in attendance , that was the deal for the factory to sell them to him apparently.

MotoMorelli owns the ECU in Ducati race bikes, or did when Stoner was fast. They were sealed by Morelli at the time.

Fellow that brought two former Duc GP bikes to the Festival in Alabama has a deal that the bikes will only be started with a rep from Ducati in attendance , that was the deal for the factory to sell them to him apparently.

talk about blue balls

Back
Top Bottom