Dual-sport versus Sport | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dual-sport versus Sport

neurotic

Hi all,

I am new to the forums, and I did read all of the beginner material.

I understand dual-sport bikes are possibly more maneuverable and comfortable to ride (or so I have been told)

My question is, is a dual-sport safer then a sport bike in general?

if so, why?

FYI.
I have never ridden a motorcycle before, as it stands I have my eyes fixed on the ninja 400r, as it should be a good bike for me to start on, right? :) and I am in LOVE with the style also.
I am 5'11 195lbs

Any suggestions or input is welcome!

Thanks!

~Tim

It is my opinion that a sportbike gives you the absolute best equipment possible, to deal with situations. Best tires, suspension, brakes, and light weight. However, they also typically possess the most power allowing the rider to complicate their situation with enormous amounts of speed in a very small window of time and space.

There are a few bikes that ride the happy medium, with dirtbike agility that comes with the tubular bar and upright seating position, and sportbike suspension and brakes and tires.
Kawasaki Versys
KTM Duke690
Ninja650/400
Bandit?

...Sure there are a bunch more I am missing too.

It is my opinion that a sportbike gives you the absolute best equipment possible, to deal with situations. Best tires, suspension, brakes, and light weight. However, they also typically possess the most power allowing the rider to complicate their situation with enormous amounts of speed in a very small window of time and space.

There are a few bikes that ride the happy medium, with dirtbike agility that comes with the tubular bar and upright seating position, and sportbike suspension and brakes and tires.
Kawasaki Versys
KTM Duke690
Ninja650/400
Bandit?

...Sure there are a bunch more I am missing too.

I wouldn't take any of the bikes listed off road. And by off road I mean trails not gravel roads. I'd consider a dual sport bike something more like a DRZ400 which is not comparable at all to a sport bike.

Dual-sport in my opinion is basically a dirt bike with lights.

Ominvore is guiding him in the direction of a sport touring bike, no?

I think it's more of an experience thing when it comes to which style of bike is safer. For me I am very comfortable on my dual-sport so I know how to ride it. But for someone who is not used to a dual-sport, then it wouldn't be any safer for them.

I don't know anything about that Ninja, but I would assume it would be good to learn on.

Ok,

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

I was just told that "sport bikes" are made and designed to mimic racing bikes, hence they are better for racing, and you have to sit like a racer (uncomfortably) not for everyday use.

What I am taking away from this is, that a dual sport, is no safer then a sport (by design) and that someone with no bike experience at all, is just as well to learn on say a 400r then a dual sport, which also seem to start at 650cc, which I find puzzling. A lot of beginner material suggests against 600c as a starter bike.

Thanks again!

~Tim

I will say this about my DR650: the sucker practically rides itself. I instantly felt extremely confident on it even though I could barely touch the ground. Even when losing traction the bike just sorts itself out it seems like. I don't have a lot of sport bike experience to compare but I've owned/ridden cruisers and standards and don't think I truly learned to ride till I got the DR. Plus you can do u-turns in a bathroom stall with the thing, it is that maneuverable.

To start the ninja 400 looks to be a nice little bike. I have not ridden one but I would say its a good starter/fun small bike.

Now for your other questions....comparing super sports to duel sports is comparing apples to oranges. They are completely different beast with completely different capabilities. Example, taking a supersport down a rutted logging road is really not fun and you will be going slightly faster then walking speed. Same road a duel sport will happily bump and bounce along at a good clip. Basically you have to decide what type of riding you want to do and then fit the bike to that. Here is a short list that may help clarify things:

Duel Sport: Basically a street legal dirt bike. Example DZR400, DR650. Good off road, great on gravel roads, good in town, painful on highways.

Adventure Touring: A larger more street/touring originated version of a Duel Sport. Example F800GS, DL650. Can off road but not as well as a duel sport, great on gravel roads, good in town, good on highways.

Sport Touring:Touring originated bike. Example K1200LT, VFR1200. No off road, can go on gravel roads if careful, ok in town, great on highways.

Touring: Lazy Boy on 2 wheels. Example Goldwing, Electra Glide. No off road, can go on gravel roads if careful, bit large feeling in town, great on highways.

Supersport: Pure Speed. Example GSXR600, YZFR6. No off road, can go on gravel roads but really not happy, never leave first gear in town and you clutch hand will hurt, great on highways, even better when paved roads start twisting or on the track.

There is a LARGE difference between a 600cc supersport engine and a 600cc dual sport engine.

Supersport: 110+hp, rev's to 15000+ rpm, power below 8000rpm is,,, less than spectacular,

Dual Sport: MAYBE 50hp, power starts at LOW RPM and is done by 9000rpm.

they are a FAR more forgiving configuration than a supersport and will survive crashes with MUCH less damage.

Dual-sport in my opinion is basically a dirt bike with lights.

+ 1

There is a LARGE difference between a 600cc supersport engine and a 600cc dual sport engine.

+1

It all depends on what you want to do on to what kind of bike you want to get, if you plan to take if off road then dual sport is the way to go. FYI SS aren't the best bike for beginners. No bike is really safer than another it hurts all the same when you fall at 100km. But dual sports and lower CC are more forgiving when you make an input error.

Last edited:
Wow..

Some great information... thank you everyone! especially for the type break down.

However I do want to point out that I was never interested in a super sport bike, but rather a "street touring" as Kawasaki classes the 400r.
So all my questions were regarding dual sport versus street touring, which I thought was simply called "sport" if I messed up the terminology, my apologies.

As for my planned use of the bike, it will be used on city streets exclusively, and relatively short trips at that. very little highways (until I feel comfortable anyways)

~Tim

For the type of riding you are thinking of doing, good type of bikes are the small sport bikes (like the ninja 400), standards (like a bandit) or if you have hooligan tendances a supermotard.

From what you have said the Ninja 400r is a good choice, and if you like the looks, go for it.

lol you have same name as me XD hehe

I would go with others and say it depends on where you will ride more. for me, i'm in north york and i plan on just using the bike as commuter from home to campus and back...so ninja 250 or 400 would be sufficient enough. but if you live near like...yea gravel + trail, then you go for dual-sports (or you can do crazy stuff around downtown, riding along sidewalks and jumping across buildings? XD)
my bicycle riding is quite aggressive and has lots of up/down jumpings so i bought a mountain bike instead of a road bike....similarly, you just buy according to how you ride and where you ride :p

happy shopping :D

Back
Top Bottom