Drz400s turned off and won't start again | GTAMotorcycle.com

Drz400s turned off and won't start again

treyc1

I was out riding and everything was working fine. Rode for about 30 min and as soon as I got to my drive way it just stopped. I thought I accidentally hit the kill switch but I didn't. Now when I press the starter but nothing happens it doesn't turn over or make any noise. When the key is in the ON position all the lights horn and signals work but it doesn't start or do anything when I press the button. Any suggestions as what it could be.

That's another possibility. The starter relay will be located near the positive terminal of your battery. It should be a small cylindrical looking object with two wires coming off it. Once you locate it, turn your ignition on, get a rubber handled screw driver and short it out across the two terminals. If the solenoid is fried the starter motor will turn when you by pass it

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

That's another possibility. The starter relay will be located near the positive terminal of your battery. It should be a small cylindrical looking object with two wires coming off it. Once you locate it, turn your ignition on, get a rubber handled screw driver and short it out across the two terminals. If the solenoid is fried the starter motor will turn when you by pass it

I just put the screw driver and sparks flew lol got startled never done anything like this... am I suppose to keep it in place and press the starter button while the screw driver is pressed against the two terminals

Haha yeah it's going to spark on you. You have to make sure you really commit to it otherwise you'll just get sparks. Don't press the start button, just have the ignition on.

Haha yeah it's going to spark on you. You have to make sure you really commit to it otherwise you'll just get sparks. Don't press the start button, just have the ignition on.

Ok gonna try again finger cross I don't get elevtricited

giphy.gif

Still alive I didn't commit 100 percent but I had in place and it did make the noise as if it was about to start

Maybe kickstand safety switch or clutch safety switch - two items in the (relay) path of electricity going to the starter

Maybe kickstand safety switch or clutch safety switch - two items in the (relay) path of electricity going to the starter

+1. Push and release the kickstand switch repeatedly with a finger then try starting the bike. If that fixes it, lube the switch.

If that relay is the problem what parts would I need to buy. Should I buy new or used from eBay snowcity in scarborough has oem parts here the link hopefully it works
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche...d=2003 DR-Z400SK3 ELECTRICAL - WIRING HARNESS

+1. Push and release the kickstand switch repeatedly with a finger then try starting the bike. If that fixes it, lube the switch.

The owner before me had the kickstand switch wired up because the kickstand had broken off plus I haven't had the new kickstand put on yet and it was working before

Never owned a DRZ but for other bikes when the starter button mysteriously stopped doing anything it has been either the clutch or kickstand lockout

The owner before me had the kickstand switch wired up because the kickstand had broken off plus I haven't had the new kickstand put on yet and it was working before

Maybe his bypass/jumper failed or fell out?

And do check the clutch switch connector. Contact cleaner and wire brush.

Last edited:
Don't go digging into the difficult stuff until you've checked out the basic mechanical possibilities. Someone mentioned the kickstand relay and that's a good place to start. The other is something I've had happen myself; a dirty/partially disassembled kill switch. open it up, make sure that it's pivoting properly, amd clean it. Reassemble and try again.

Back
Top Bottom