Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia | Page 28 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia

Really would like a workable exhaust shield.

Thinking this might work
Exhaust Heat Shield Kit, , scaau_hi-res

Doesn't happen to often but you can never be sure where crocs are cruising ...

Taking a swim in the ocean can fraught…even near town

Cardwell is 150 km south of here - where Cyclone Yazi cam ashore
1623026803502.png
The storm was 90% size of the continental US. It remained a cyclone 1,000 km inland.

Certainly crocs are always a risk in the ocean north of the Daintree but Cardwell is 150 km south. :oops:

Thinking I'm packing the fishing rod today - have yet to catch a fish here but haven't tried hard either.

Last edited:
One of my fav destinations - :Lake Barrine Teahouse. Volcanic lake surrounded by rainforest.
100 year old scone recipe, local jam and local tea.

Did not know you could swim here but did not bring gear...lovely and peaceful ....finally has internet but only 1 bar and they like it that way.

22 and light showers now,,,, mid to high 20s mixed sun and cloud coming..now this kind of winter I'm enjoying
Got away late yesterday for 180 km loop to Lake Barrine but was relaxing ride and enjoying the autobiography of John D Rockefeller on Chirp.
29 hours of very interesting listening.
Realized i need to be packing my lunch instead of buying out each ride. First time up the Gillies on the CB300 and no lack of power tho a few more shifts with the 6 speed ...one nice dump truck driver labouring up let me by in a smooth duck into a very short passing zone. Good ride and stayed dry. :coffee:

Had a nice ride up to Port Douglas with very little traffic ..still learning the handling.
Lunch out at a picnic table and and relaxed for 1/2 hour in a small park then low traffic ride home.
Will try for a longer ride this week.

Took the KLR over for roadworthy since it now has a deposit on it. Felt very weird again.

Got the new tactical pants for riding ...lighter and shorter so better for the AlpineStars low boots. Was dragging the riding pants I use with the Gaerne high boots. Should be cooler all around tho they are stiff. The 511s took an amazing amount of abuse over the past few years. We'll see if these stand up.
Only mild disappointment is no pocket for knee armour which was advertised. my regular armor works fine under them but was hoping to put the smaller armor in for pool rides etc. They fit as advertised both length and waist ...some elastic in the waist is welcome and perhaps better belt loops.
CQR is available in Canada

You can't miss with the 5.11 - but a chunk more $

Buddy is out in the middle of nowhere watching the desert races near Alice Springs.
Before he left
Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at Jun, 9    2021    6.05.04 PM.jpg

today - they do have a support truck
1623225861073.png

here is a closer look at the region ....by bicycle :eek:

1623226663005.png

and yeah the flies are epic. We had to wear face nets anywhere around Uluru or outside Alice springs.

Okay caved into the top box. Was annoying yesterday trying to waterproof everything even tho was just misty rain.
Figured go big or go home
1623557083823.png45L was $97 more than the 29L.
Shad Sh45 Color Panel - White ^ ( Part# D1b45e08 )

Can get the white panel for $55 more but not sure it's worth it.
ah **** I added it to the order. 🥴 Mac biz okay this week.
  • 45Litre Case with capacity for two helmets and small items.
  • Case supplied complete with Bottom Mounting plate and hardward screws included.
  • Capacity :45 Litres
  • Fits 2 full face helmets
  • Impact resistant
  • Waterproof sealing system
  • Measures: 55x28x40
Rack was already enroute.
Now for sure I can go overnight to Cooktown and secure stuff when I'm swimming at the lagoon. Looks be damned.

The company gave me the 5% first order discount on it all.and I added a smaller 7L tank bag for $52 shipped. The 20-27 L I have works fine on long trips but tends to hit the horn in tight quarters so this with the top box will work better for local runs. Lots of room for camera gear to be ready. I've been happy with Oxford products.
1623636977547.png
Outer Fabric - Polyester Rip-Stop
- Inner Lining - Nylon
- Showerproof inner liner
- Reflective print
- Device & map holder
- External pocket
- 7L capacity

The price you see advertised is always the price you pay.

Ran across this as a good summary of the the bike.

Last edited:
Couple of good rides
Spent some time at the Cairns Lagoon.
Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at Jun, 16    2021    11.36.03 AM.jpg
lovely resource for the locals and usually mobbed with tourists ....but none of that yet.
Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at Jun, 16    2021    11.36.57 AM.jpg
felt chilly just at first but was very nice to splash around and swim a bit. One reason I caved on the top case so I could more conveniently take the 5 minute run down and have a secure spot for clothes and camera etc.
Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at Jun, 16    2021    11.37.19 AM.jpg

There is always something to photograph even if the tide is out.Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at Jun, 16    2021    11.35.20 AM.jpgWith the top case I can have the camera gear, competer and wallet secure and use the tank bag for clothes and towel tho there does not appear to be any vandal or theft threat at all.

After a soggy misty longish run on Monday up to Juliatten only to find one of my fav lunch spots closed and for sale ( doesn't matter a lot as the under cover tables are still there....have to figure out how to keep glasses and visor from fogging. Had lunch waiting out the light rain.

Had a beauty run yesterday up the coast tho to compensate - ate lunch at Mossman in a shady pulloff
Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at Jun, 16    2021    11.57.29 AM.jpg
and very sweet ride home as no headwind. Three hours ...much fun and relaxing. 160 km there and back. Skipped the jury rigged computer bag and my back was happier.
1623808241118.png
no wind, very little traffic
The Pacific was living up to its name ...almost a painting.
Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at Jun, 16    2021    11.55.26 AM.jpg

got the KLR headlight today so might put that on if it gets a bit cooler. Temps were higher overnight and 28 and muggy now. Maybe another pool run. 🏊‍♂️

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at Jun, 16    2021    11.57.29 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at Jun, 16 2021 11.57.29 AM.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 4
Always something .. 🥴 tried to crack the bolts holding on the buddy seat bars on the CB300 and while I got one loose - no go on the other three. Just don't have a socket set with enough leverage. Not the easiest location to get a wrench into.

Screw up on the fitting - the one they showed on the site which I quite like turned out to be for the CB500 :(.
They gave me 5% off for the mistake. That's the fitting I tried to mount today. Really strong well made fitting tho.
Opted for the white and they did not have the SH45 in stock so downsized to the SH39 which has a better locking system.
Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at Jun, 17    2021    7.15.44 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at Jun, 17    2021    7.17.07 PM.jpg
I did find out that the mount can also handle Givi top cases as well. I think the white will help the look - breaking up the black blob. Kept the smaller 7 liter tank bag on the order as well for local trips
OXFORD F1 LUGGAGE M7 MAGNETIC TANK BAG BLK

Very quick ride to my fav teahouse near Mila Mila. 150 km straight run with some nice curves up the Palmerston ...the most southern and least challenging of the range roads. Built so the trucks could make the run to the Tablelands.
Tempted to swim but ...content with a freshly made rump steak pie for brunch.
1624078917881.png

Will go over the old Palmerston Highway ....like that route.
Milaa Milaa falls.jpg

24 and mix of cloud and sun...mild breeze just enough to keep me cool.
Longest day yet ...320 km and a lot of saddletime due to low speed on the Old Palmerston.
Bike did not like the uneven pavement on the Old Palmerston. Somethings I miss the KLR but then was not particularly tired or sore after 7 hours ( 6 riding 1 vegging).

Settled on the topcase and rack and 7L tank bag. Should arrive mid next week.

Last edited:
Wished myself a Happy Winter Solstice ....down under version.
Huddled in bed keeping warm with 13 degrees in an unheated house waiting for the sun to rise in half hour.
All feels very strange. 🥴

after the long ride the other day the 100 klicks to Daintree was an easy ride. Some benefits to getting old...$10 fish and chips at Daintree Village
Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at Jun, 21    2021    2.17.02 PM.jpg

must be looking my age...she didn't even ask for the seniors card :unsure: 🥴 Gorgeous day ...25 - light winds, sun and cloud and some paragliders on the go at the Rex point.
I was jealous
1624260448046.png

Last edited:
Progress today. Got the KLR lights fixed.
Tried the rear rotor but allan bolts too tight to risk. Will let the dealer do it.

1624432153425.png

Looks ugly ..loads of spce
1624432384834.png

YES!!! - got the safety on the KLR with less issue than I thought - buyer picking up tomorrow.

Bought it for $3500 in 2011.

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at Jun, 25    2021    6.01.12 PM.jpg

Got $1900 net for it 10 years later.

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at Jun, 25    2021    5.55.13 PM.jpg
Good bike (y)

Pretty impressed with the Queensland transfer system. As seller I put in my details and the buyer details and the price.
Get a doc back by email as does he. The safety ( Roadworthy certificate ) was already registered on the bike by the dealer.
Get cash from him - he gets bike ...done....no need to visit anywhere.
No tax as far as I can see either.
Done and done...old mule ambles off north with an new owner - all done online.

Last edited:
ah - day off and a very nice riding conditions reported. The top case addition is just super ...wish the small tank bag would arrive. Redid the bar position as well which helps a bit. I do miss the wider bars on the KLR but too much headache to change them on the CB
Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at Jun, 27    2021    5.52.32 AM.jpg

Maybe Tully Gorge Lookout - How to Get Here & What to Expect

Have to decide as despite the close distance ...it is impossible to connect across the gorge and it's longer going via the Tablelands. Likely go the ocean route.
Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at Jun, 27    2021    6.34.03 AM.jpg

Last edited:
364 km there and back ...longest day yet. Sore but not awful and nice to have a tail wind coming home.
Of COURSE the town of Tully is closed on Sunday. 🥴
Was pretty hungry by the time I got back to the Maccers in Innisvail.

P1050094.JPG

Last edited:
Rainy days ...got the small tank bag in finally ...it's "okay" 7L ..a tad bigger might have been better but this holds the camera and lens and power cell plus gate opener and a few other small things and very easy to handle. No big flaps as magnets are on the center line so looks better.

Highest town in queensland - Ravenshoe - been a while since I've been. Classic little Tablelands town. Busy on a Friday noon. Toasted eggplant sandwich on local bread.
We've been switching to a no meat diet and finding some good alternatives. I often will break that riding but this is a fine alternative. I had three or four places to choose from and asked a local which ....for coffee she said this one and she was correct. Very good latte.
Was too light on breakfast but had late night beans and fake boerwurst from South Africa which fries up excellent while savouring Roger Federer in the twilight of his career but still a fearsome opponent. He's through to round 3 of Wimbleton which of course is wee hours watching here.

I'd dearly love to see Roger win another to add to his 8 wins.

Back
Top Bottom