Down East - Ride Reports and Ramblings | GTAMotorcycle.com

Down East - Ride Reports and Ramblings

Rotten_Ronnie

Site Supporter
I thought I'd share a bit of what is going on out in Atlantic Canada with you.

P1190778.JPG

Just day tripping out to Panmure Island Prince Edward Island for an afternoon's ride.

P1190755.JPG

The weather is just beginning to warm up to the point where a sweater will get you by the nighttime, but not quite yet. ;)

Cheers!

Remember shipping my first bike down to Summerside by rail one summer when I was a kid. Rode that thing all over the Island. We had a summer place in French River; actually it was the New London lighthouse that we had a lease on and used as our make shift cottage every summer. Ah ... those were the days. In any case, beautiful place to ride with pretty spectacular scenery at almost every turn. Road surfaces are sometimes questionable though as I recall and the weather is well ... it's East Coast Canada; beautiful or crap, not much in between :)

Remember shipping my first bike down to Summerside by rail one summer when I was a kid. Rode that thing all over the Island. We had a summer place in French River; actually it was the New London lighthouse that we had a lease on and used as our make shift cottage every summer. Ah ... those were the days. In any case, beautiful place to ride with pretty spectacular scenery at almost every turn. Road surfaces are sometimes questionable though as I recall and the weather is well ... it's East Coast Canada; beautiful or crap, not much in between :)

French River is a beatiful. Was it the wee lighthouse shown on Google as "New London Range Rear Lighthouse" or the one in French River itself?

It hasn't changed too much. There is a rain in the forecast possibly changing to light snow tonight, and the roads are potholed something fierce this year. Queen street was so broken up that people would drive in the oncoming lane to avoid sections of it.

That being said, I'd ride Queen street in Charlottetown over Queen street in Toronto any day of the week. Well, I do miss it occasionally... Burgers Priest down by the old race track, and swinging into MEC on King street as needed. :'(

I created a blog post with a few pictures from 2012 for you: French River PE

20120722_122451

20120722_123847

French River is a beatiful. Was it the wee lighthouse shown on Google as "New London Range Rear Lighthouse" or the one in French River itself?

It hasn't changed too much. There is a rain in the forecast possibly changing to light snow tonight, and the roads are potholed something fierce this year. Queen street was so broken up that people would drive in the oncoming lane to avoid sections of it.

That being said, I'd ride Queen street in Charlottetown over Queen street in Toronto any day of the week. Well, I do miss it occasionally... Burgers Priest down by the old race track, and swinging into MEC on King street as needed. :'(

I created a blog post with a few pictures from 2012 for you: French River PE

20120722_122451

20120722_123847

YES! This is the place where we spent our summers when I was a kid. Beautiful is the best description. Remote, beach right out front and fabulous neighbours all around that area. There's even Yankee Hill Cemetery back in the woods behind the lighthouse. Grave markers from centuries ago. We used to go out there at night and make scary ghost noises - lol. Too bad the Govt. put a stop to those leases or I would still be going there every summer. Great memories!

Righto. Last weekend it was the East end of the Island, this weekend the North bit needed some exploring (again, for like the fourth time). :)

The North Cape Ride

P1190852.JPG

It's a fixer upper...

P1190878.JPG

When the tourists leave this September, there will be over a hundred of these set up on the point.

P1190898.JPG

Straws might not be the problem on this beach...

I hope you enjoy the ride report almost as much as I did writing it. Cheers!

Righto. Last weekend it was the East end of the Island, this weekend the North bit needed some exploring (again, for like the fourth time). :)

The North Cape Ride

P1190852.JPG

It's a fixer upper...

P1190878.JPG

When the tourists leave this September, there will be over a hundred of these set up on the point.

P1190898.JPG

Straws might not be the problem on this beach...

I hope you enjoy the ride report almost as much as I did writing it. Cheers!

Wow! That's a very old Trap. They haven't used rounded wooden traps in a very long time.

This past Saturday was highlighted by overnight frost warnings, and a day time high of 16 dgrees Celsius, so what better way to celebrate seeing the sun again, than to enjoy lunch 266 km away?

2019 The Fish n' Chips Ride - Charlottetown to Alma NB along the Bay of Fundy
2019 The Fish n' Chips Ride

fishnchips.jpg

522 kilometres of mostly fun, and some superslab.
2019-05-27%2B11_47_10-2019%2BThe%2BFish%2Bn%2527%2BChips%2BRide%2Bto%2BAlma%2BNB.png

Shepody Bay along NB 114
P1200035.JPG

Spring road conditions. This is similar to a super motard race, with an "off road" section. Sure to keep you amused and awake.
P1200075.JPG

CLine trying to grind her pegs on the Fundy Highlands road through Fundy National Park.
P1200052.JPG

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom