Does Honda still sell the CBR125 in Canada? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Does Honda still sell the CBR125 in Canada?

Yes, it has been discontinued.

Huh! Wonder what the hell the rationalization for that was. Seems like an absurd thing to do on the surface as it was and is a popular bike.

Huh! Wonder what the hell the rationalization for that was. Seems like an absurd thing to do on the surface as it was and is a popular bike.

My best guess is that they deemed a bike barely able to go up a hill a bad product.

Look, it's his very first bike!

user68893_pic19043_1351191485.jpg

Popular bike to who? Prolly just you...I wouldn't speak for everyone since Honda probably did their research and studies before making that move to discontinue the product

There's a glut of used ones for sale.

Maybe not as popular with the SS motorheads, but it was very well-received by the scooter/moped type crowd, as well as some folks who just preferred smaller bikes (I may ride a 750 now, but I still have a soft spot for them myself). etc. I've met quite a few people who wanted one as well as plenty who made good on that desire and purchased and rode one. They even have their own forums, populated almost entirely with Canadians, with very recent complaints that bike's out of stock and hard to obtain used. At least two friends of mine had to wait a year to purchase one new due to the dealer being sold out the year they were buying (one had to wait till 2010, the other 2011).

I've also seen a lot more of them on the streets than any other single model I could name, except maybe the entry-level Yamaha/Honda cruisers. Maybe you think it's a niche market, but Honda had that crowd locked down, with little to no competition in that engine class.

Actually the consensus on the 125 boards there is the same as what Sunspark posted: That it's probably being replaced by the 125 Grom.

Popular bike to who? Prolly just you...I wouldn't speak for everyone since Honda probably did their research and studies before making that move to discontinue the product
They seem to be loved by almost anyone that doesn't feel the need to have something that goes 3x the legal speed limit.

I actually have a few friends that want one sometime in the next year, but they all insist on brand new... something about gremlins or cooties or something. The Grom looks cool but also looks a little mini or a pit bike. Will it fit an adult safely for street use?

Last edited:
the grom doesn't look nearly as cool as the cbr. my 125 kicks *** but yes there are a lot of them out there selling used.

Would that be the same research team that created the whole Power Center fiasco?

The Grom probably replaces the cbr125 in some marketing wizard's dream world. (Street legal, 125cc, light weight ... check! Good enough!)

And, I like the Grom for what it is. But it ain't replacing my cbr125. 4 speed transmission, worse aerodynamics, less power, zero passenger capability (the 125 has theoretical passenger capability). The engine is different - air cooling, longer stroke and narrower bore and probably smaller valve sizes and lower revs. The cbr125 will just do highway speed - sometimes needing a downshift to 5th if pushing a headwind or hill. I suspect that the Grom will be just on the wrong side of the will-it-do-highway-speed threshold. The 12 inch wheels are another question mark. The later model (2011+) cbr125 has decent-enough stability on bumpy roads and in crosswinds. The previous model needed different tires to be like that, but it was do-able. 12 inch wheels? I'm not so sure.

I WILL be wanting to test-ride one. And I would be quite happy to be proven wrong about the speed and stability, too. We'll see!

With 125/250/500/600/700 cc bikes, I think the 125 was just edged out by the newer stuff. It doesn't make much sense to buy a 125 when the 250 is not much bigger and heavier, and is an all around more capable bike. Small and cheap is great but I don't think Honda was managing to sell too many.

With 125/250/500/600/700 cc bikes, I think the 125 was just edged out by the newer stuff. It doesn't make much sense to buy a 125 when the 250 is not much bigger and heavier, and is an all around more capable bike. Small and cheap is great but I don't think Honda was managing to sell too many.

Agreed. Their profits were ripped out of their pockets which was clearly noted when they sold brand new 1 year old cbr125s for $2100. Which also made me rofl when people tried selling their 4 year old used cbr125 for $2500 (they still do).

That was Honda's own fault. They responded to the initial surge of demand in 2007 by bringing in a huge number of 2008 models ... just in time for the recession/depression. Those bikes (along with a lot of others) took a long time to get sold and only at fire-sale prices ... but it resulted in an expectation from people that $2200 was the right price to pay for that bike and people wouldn't pay more, not even for the much-upgraded 2011 model.

It remains to be seen how many Groms can be sold at anywhere near the (apparently) $2999 list price. There is no way that bike costs anywhere near as much to build as a cbr125. Air cooling, 4 speed transmission, minimal bodywork.

FWIW I know several people for whom the cbr250 is not a substitute for a cbr125, and I know of one person who bought the first generation cbr125, then bought the cbr250 when it came out, didn't like it much, then sold that and bought a 2011 cbr125 (and put a cbr150 engine in it). I know another who had a first generation cbr125, sold that and bought a cbr600, then sold that soon after and bought another first generation cbr125 which he still has to this day. I still think Honda should have brought the cbr150 with the 2011 model change ...

Back
Top Bottom