diy/internet home alarm options? | GTAMotorcycle.com

diy/internet home alarm options?

mmmnaked

Banned
Anybody rig their own alarm? ADT and the likes all wanna call me to set up appointments :rolleyes: no thanks

Rogers Smart Home seems pretty cool, but I hate Rogers so if I don't have to give them another $40/mo I'd prefer not to.

What are the options? I don't use a home phone line, so I'd like a system that either has it's own cell connection or will connect through my wifi. Bonus points for systems with mobile connectivity and other cool stuff.

Good luck with that. There are no cheap options for wifi alarms and stuff like that. Your best bet would be to get a cheap IP network camera and set it up to your house, and connect it to the internet.

Something like this only costs around $150 and you can set it up yourself.

http://www.security.honeywell.com/hsc/products/kit/vi/284143.html

For alarm systems......

Your best bet is to call these guys.....

http://themonitoringcenter.com/installation.cfm

CHEAP and GOOD.

If you have an existing alarm system, or prefer to install your own, these guys will monitor it for only $9.99 a month.

I know you dont have a home phone line, but they have a cellular GSM option where it contacts the monitoring center via cell phone.

Can't beat that. And beats the $30 and $40 BS a month and locked in a 3+ year contract ADT, Rogers, Chubb and the rest of those crooks offer.

Last edited:
I didn't say cheap ;)

But I'll check out those suggestions. Although I'm not sure I'd even need monitoring, I'd almost just want it to alert me and scare away an intruder.

. Although I'm not sure I'd even need monitoring, I'd almost just want it to alert me and scare away an intruder.

If you dont want the monitoring option, just get the alarm system, any DSC brand alarm system can be rigged to dial your cell phone if the alarm is tripped. This is another good option as its FREE and you dont have to pay a monitoring center to call the police for you.

You can just show up to your house with a baseball bat and do the dirty deed yourself. :)

Cousins house was broken into during the summer, they cut all the cables at the side of the house.. (phone, internet/cable, etc...)

Cousins house was broken into during the summer, they cut all the cables at the side of the house.. (phone, internet/cable, etc...)

UPS back up with cellular dialer for the win.

though nothing beats a noisy doggy.

my two rotties weren't noisy but no one walked away with anything after they were on the job. one even left stuff...

I'd need some kinda service provider for cell service though right?

that is the cost of having no wires. i'd go with a pay as you go service which could be less than 10$ a month

or even cheaper with a 7-11 speakout phone... $25 a year.

Where do I get a pay as you go service for a cellular alarm system :lol:

That monitoring place offers the svc for $10/mo in addition to their monitoring I just gotta see if that can be set up to call me or what... I want connectivity.

Back
Top Bottom