Discontinued bikes? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Discontinued bikes?

"The only caveat is Japanese 2 stroke road bikes... they can be trouble for parts."
The last year for that was what, 1990 ? After nearly 30 years its to be expected.

Japanese two stroke parts may need you to look outside North America. Some like the RD350 was made for 40 more years in India sold as a Rangoot?? or some silly name. The parts are a bit rougher than yamaha but its all there.
Still two stokes sold in third world countries, its work to find stuff but lots is out there.

Wonder where triumph falls into this, an older street triple for example, or the old triumph tigers, hard to find parts for those?

Last edited:
Or old harleys for that matter(10-20 year old)? Guessing finding parts for those is probably fairly straight forward considering the vast dealer network in north america, and the bikes being relatively unchanged since inception.

I've never had trouble getting parts for my '02 Tiger, a bit of an oddball bike. If it's not in stock at the dealer, it's a week away. Brake pads, filters, gaskets, etc., all the usual stuff is easy to find. I've had to replace some smashed bodywork, as well; in stock in the Atlanta warehouse, at the dealer a week later.

I don't understand your concern. The majority of bikes on the road are no longer in production. Parts availability isn't an issue for most makes and models.

I've never had trouble getting parts for my '02 Tiger, a bit of an oddball bike. If it's not in stock at the dealer, it's a week away. Brake pads, filters, gaskets, etc., all the usual stuff is easy to find. I've had to replace some smashed bodywork, as well; in stock in the Atlanta warehouse, at the dealer a week later.

I don't understand your concern. The majority of bikes on the road are no longer in production. Parts availability isn't an issue for most makes and models.
I muck with some old stuff, parts do get hard for some makes and models. Your Tiger was in production till 2006, so you should be OK for parts till about 2021 (about 15 years) -- after that manufacturers move on so youre hoping for NOS or aftermarket parts. The parts bin stuff will have xrefs, the unique to bike parts will eventually run out, then you're looking for used or reproduction parts -- that's when things get tough.

I have a few oldies, here's an example of what I needed for my 75 GL1000. I removed the Vetter fairing, floor boards, and wanted an OE style standard seat.
Stem bolts for signals -- OE price $3.50 each -- sold out. Aftermarket replacements $12 each + $25 shipping.
Grab rail, OE price $70 each -- sold out. no aftermarket, best price for used $250.
Seat OE price $250 each -- sold out. Aftermarket $500, best price for used $650.
Headlamp Assy OE price $150 each -- sold out. Aftermarket $60 for plastic copy, used OE $250 + $50 shipping for NOS.

A 1992 Suzuki TS200R.
Powervalves -- OE price $65 each -- sold out. OE imports from Japan $600US pair+ $100US shipping.

I could go on.

... when you say you're looking for parts for your old bikes, it sorta depends on how fine a point you want to put on it....
For common British bikes (Norton Commando/Atlas/Domi or Triumph/BSA twins) nearly every part to keep the thing going is available either NOS or as a pattern part.
Same for Yamaha two stroke twins (TA, TD, TR , DS7, R5, RD, RD-LC, RZ, TZ 250/350/400 )
Same for Ducati narrow case and wide case singles, round case and square case twins, (but the Ducatista is very cliquey and seem to have deep pockets) (The next series of Ducatis, the last of the Taglioni bikes, the early belt drive 900SS seems to have fallen into a void. There is almost ZERO support for parts, literature and practical experience. It is really weird)
Same for Guzzi round or square heads. Seems the Papal police still use T3 Guzzi's so all the hard parts are easy to get and comparatively cheap.Last year I bought a new, "made in Italy" top end for a 1978 T3 (2 cylinders, 2 pistons, 2 ring sets, 2 wrist pins and gaskets) for $800. If you're looking for a pair of concourse floor boards, or front crash bar for a T3? You're probably not going to find one.
... I can keep any of these bikes safe, running and reliable, even in hot rod form
BUT if you're looking for an original left side cover for a 1978 Yamaha Canadian 3J7 model RD400 you're SOL (The Canadian one was different that year).
Or if you need a crankshaft for THAT bike you'll have to talk to me, AFIK I'm the only one that rebuilds that crankshaft. (cue maniacal laugh here)
There's no pistons for the air cooled Yamaha's, but we all know how to modify Banshee quad pistons.
I'll tell you it's pretty easy to keep most "popular" vintage bikes going/running/safe/reliable, back to the late '50s , early '60s bikes. The problems arise when we start calling them "collector pieces"
Maybe it's the people I associate with. We're all vintage bike hoarders.

When you start talking about more obscure stuff, this all goes out the window...
I've been looking for a pair of mufflers and a right side cover for a 750 Laverda, like the bike Evil Knevil used to ride before he was sponsored by HD, for a few years now.
If anyone had any leads on that.....

... when you say you're looking for parts for your old bikes, it sorta depends on how fine a point you want to put on it....
For common British bikes (Norton Commando/Atlas/Domi or Triumph/BSA twins) nearly every part to keep the thing going is available either NOS or as a pattern part.
Same for Yamaha two stroke twins (TA, TD, TR , DS7, R5, RD, RD-LC, RZ, TZ 250/350/400 )
Same for Ducati narrow case and wide case singles, round case and square case twins, (but the Ducatista is very cliquey and seem to have deep pockets) (The next series of Ducatis, the last of the Taglioni bikes, the early belt drive 900SS seems to have fallen into a void. There is almost ZERO support for parts, literature and practical experience. It is really weird)
Same for Guzzi round or square heads. Seems the Papal police still use T3 Guzzi's so all the hard parts are easy to get and comparatively cheap.Last year I bought a new, "made in Italy" top end for a 1978 T3 (2 cylinders, 2 pistons, 2 ring sets, 2 wrist pins and gaskets) for $800. If you're looking for a pair of concourse floor boards, or front crash bar for a T3? You're probably not going to find one.
... I can keep any of these bikes safe, running and reliable, even in hot rod form
BUT if you're looking for an original left side cover for a 1978 Yamaha Canadian 3J7 model RD400 you're SOL (The Canadian one was different that year).
Or if you need a crankshaft for THAT bike you'll have to talk to me, AFIK I'm the only one that rebuilds that crankshaft. (cue maniacal laugh here)
There's no pistons for the air cooled Yamaha's, but we all know how to modify Banshee quad pistons.
I'll tell you it's pretty easy to keep most "popular" vintage bikes going/running/safe/reliable, back to the late '50s , early '60s bikes. The problems arise when we start calling them "collector pieces"
Maybe it's the people I associate with. We're all vintage bike hoarders.

When you start talking about more obscure stuff, this all goes out the window...
I've been looking for a pair of mufflers and a right side cover for a 750 Laverda, like the bike Evil Knevil used to ride before he was sponsored by HD, for a few years now.
If anyone had any leads on that.....
I'll check my contacts on your wish list, here is mine:

GL1000 grab rail, 1975

XV920R complete OE exhaust (not MAC).

Triumph TR25W/(or BSA B25) 1969
Both fenders, alloy or steel. must have detents for front forks.
Left side cover
TLS 8" brake cable (from factory trials bike) with in-line switch
Chrome Whitworth riser bolts

TC125 (8 spd prospector) 1974
carb spacer
Seat pan and foam

Back
Top Bottom