Denali Datadim D4 Help | GTAMotorcycle.com

Denali Datadim D4 Help

Wingboy

Site Supporter
Need help here.Bought Denali D4's with the datadim relay.They are mounted on my 2009 Ducati MTS 1100s. Trigger wire is on the hot lead on the high beam,Switched power is from the oem heated grip circuit.I am positive both leads are good.
With the Denali power switch on and the headlite on low beam,the D4's are off.With the headlite on hi beam,the D4's are on.(i think they are at 100%)
The D4's should be on with low beam but at 50%,but i have nothing.
This is driving me nuts.I know the trigger wire to the hi beam is good,because if i disconnect it,i have nothing.

First pic...hi beam. Second pic low beam.
98b535be-38c2-4265-99f5-87e09dce57a6-original.jpg

56302b59-b1be-44a2-af83-962ab02c8ad6-original.jpg

Yes. The datadim relay plugs into that connector.

K, I was thinking the one might be plugged into the other :|

LED works on reverse bias voltage only, so any extra diodes installed in the wrong direction or polarity reversed wiring will create a no joy problem.

... so basically if I read the manual correct, your Datadim device is just not working but everything else works as it should?

Without the datadim, they should be on anytime the ignition is on. But only at full power. Maybe I'll try putting the single intensity relay back in and see what it does?

Would make it so much easier to trouble-shoot if they just showed you what's inside the little black box :|
... they never want to show you what's in the little black box :cautious: it's probably a Zonk.

I have Denali's. I first wired mine to be like your trying to do. They were so dim on half power I decided whats the point? I want to be seen so why would I want them so dim. Mine are now wired full power all the time. If I'm coming towards you you WILL see me. They are very bright.

29d96e92a543ef5c8cfb14a300c5bae7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29d96e92a543ef5c8cfb14a300c5bae7.jpg

Are those D2's? There is no way i would subject surrounding traffic to full D4's.I think they are a lot higher lumens.

Are those D2's? There is no way i would subject surrounding traffic to full D4's.I think they are a lot higher lumens.

Yes D 2’s. Yea that’s a good point. They aren’t cheap but worth in IMHO.

I have Denali's. I first wired mine to be like your trying to do. They were so dim on half power I decided whats the point? I want to be seen so why would I want them so dim. Mine are now wired full power all the time. If I'm coming towards you you WILL see me. They are very bright.
No they won't. They won't see anything. What do you do when you blind someone and they run into the ditch? The smart ones will simply drive at you as they know you are on the road. It's a lose, lose proposition.

No they won't. They won't see anything. What do you do when you blind someone and they run into the ditch? The smart ones will simply drive at you as they know you are on the road. It's a lose, lose proposition.

Who said anything about them being blinded?
Mine are tilted down a bit. Had my wife drive the car in front of me to see how the lights worked out. She said they were not blinding at all. Just perfect. Very bright.
I’ve ridden 000’s kms behind other riders that I know. They are very impressed with the lights. Never get cars flashing their lights at me.
As I stated you will see me coming.

Who said anything about them being tilted down?

Someone will see your post and think "Hey that's a good idea", and since you didn't state that you turned yours down, they won't either.

Who said anything about them being tilted down?

Someone will see your post and think "Hey that's a good idea", and since you didn't state that you turned yours down, they won't either.

Didn’t think it was necessary. As per installation instructions. Plus some common sense.

Did you get this working? What about a different switched power supply as it seems that’s not giving the datadim the instruction to keep the light on at low power while the high beam switch overrides that instruction for 100% power. Did you switch your grip heaters on to see if that makes a difference (which part of the OEM grip heater circuit did you tap?).

Did you get this working? What about a different switched power supply as it seems that’s not giving the datadim the instruction to keep the light on at low power while the high beam switch overrides that instruction for 100% power. Did you switch your grip heaters on to see if that makes a difference (which part of the OEM grip heater circuit did you tap?).
Good input. Thanks. The bike has Oxford grip heaters directly on the battery with the Oxford load protection. The oem heater line is unused. I just used a positap on the 12v lead that i think powers the heater relay.

Last edited:
Are there other pins on the relay? Are you sure you're on the right one?

Do you have a 110 to 12v power supply that you can use to provide power, and check if it's that connection?

Good input. Thanks. The bike has Oxford grip heaters directly on the battery with the Oxford load protection. The oem heater line is unused. I just used a positap on the 12v lead that i think powers the heater relay.

Ok, I was just wondering as it seems the datadim isn’t receiving info that the low beam is on which would be the ignition switched power supply but it is receiving info that the high beam is on from the high beam switch lead.

Ok, when i turn the bikes HighBeam on, the lowbeam goes off. They are not both on at the same time. Maybe i should try wiring it to the tail light for switched power. The Denali instructions say that the lowbeam hot lead could be used for switched power.

Back
Top Bottom