Decent brands of front brake rotors that don't cost an arm/leg/kidney | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Decent brands of front brake rotors that don't cost an arm/leg/kidney

Good stuff. Let me know how they work out, as at this rate you'll be trying yours before I can try mine...

If they arrive next week I might be able to book the bike in the week after. The Brembo pads seemed like a decent price from Carpimoto too.

If they arrive next week I might be able to book the bike in the week after. The Brembo pads seemed like a decent price from Carpimoto too.
Not changing them yourself?
Simple torque wrench, some lock tight, pdf of service manual and a set of stands to take off the front wheel is all you really need.

*edit - added lock tight

Not changing them yourself?
Simple torque wrench, some lock tight, pdf of service manual and a set of stands to take off the front wheel is all you really need.

*edit - added lock tight

The bike is getting new tires and a valve check too. It’s not going to cost much to get the rotors fitted while the wheels are off. I don’t have any room in my garage to do any of this stuff anyway!

I've finally gotten around to sorting out a pretty big service for my bike that involves valves check/adjustment, new tires etc. One of the things I'm getting them to look at is the front brake judder and I'm sourcing out the rotors now just in case they need replacing. I've mentioned this judder before in another thread but this is about sourcing components now. Rotors seem outrageously priced for the ones I can get hold of. They are 320mm floating (semi floating) rotors for a KTM 1290 Super Adventure. I can get hold of OEM ones for $350 CDN which is very, very reasonable BUT every forum post I've read states they will just warp again and most owners end up replacing the KTM OEM ones with aftermarkets. So....I can't seem to source the right EBK rotors in Canada (contacted Fortnine and they don't have any), EBK from the UK would cost me nearly $700 CDN unless I'm looking in the wrong place and everything else from Motomaster/Brembo/Galfer starts to come in at $600+ and up for two. I can source brembo gold from Italy for about $400ish CDN but no idea how long that's going to take to land here.

Any other minor brands in Canada that might have rotors that fit, that are decent that are a bit more reasonably priced? Suppliers to check?

Or....do I just sell a kidney?

Thanks in advance!
I run cast iron Braketech, and i love them. Alot!!

Alrighty...mechanic (great guy, Unique Cycle if you ever need anything Kingston way) said there’s a slight warp which doesn’t affect braking power right now but if anything will happen it will only get worse. Gave me the option of just leaving it be but now I know for sure it’s there it will bug me. So...Carpimoto 318 euros later for 2 Brembo serie oro rotors and some Brembo LS sintered street pads shipped to my door. About 450 CDN I think. Way cheaper than anything I could find here. Figured new pads with the new rotors to make sure everything beds in properly.

Edit. For anyone going this route a previous poster mentioned they had issues with a credit card purchase from Carpimoto. No issues with my Rogers MC (I got it as it deals with international purchases in a different way and you end up paying less in fees as there are rebates etc).

Did your mechanic make sure the carrier buttons were clean before measuring runout, and clean the rotor surface of old pad material? Front brake judder is a common problem on my generation of Hypermotard, and people have had their rotors and pads replaced multiple times, only to have the problem return. Turns out, brake dust and road grime get stuck in the semi-floating rotor carrier buttons which locks them in place. Also, excess material from the OEM pads gets stuck to the rotor surface. Once they're cleaned out, everything is back to normal. The long term solution for us is to change from the OEM pads and keep an eye on the buttons.

Did your mechanic make sure the carrier buttons were clean before measuring runout, and clean the rotor surface of old pad material? Front brake judder is a common problem on my generation of Hypermotard, and people have had their rotors and pads replaced multiple times, only to have the problem return. Turns out, brake dust and road grime get stuck in the semi-floating rotor carrier buttons which locks them in place. Also, excess material from the OEM pads gets stuck to the rotor surface. Once they're cleaned out, everything is back to normal. The long term solution for us is to change from the OEM pads and keep an eye on the buttons.

That's a good point but yes, I freed up the rotor buttons with brake cleaner and moved them laterally to get them free and also scrubbed down the rotors with sandpaper. Before I took the bike to the mechanic I took out the bike to get the brakes nice and warm to see if the issue was just in my head but the windshield was juddering every time. Faster the speed when the brakes were applied then the worse the judder.

Back
Top Bottom