Decal Removal | GTAMotorcycle.com

Decal Removal

Merkid

Any suggestions on how to remove faded Honda factory decals from a tank on a 41 year old bike?

I used a hair dryer, some goo gone, a plastic scraper which I wrapped in a rag and LOTS of patience...mind you, my bike is a 2015 so it isn't that old...good luck...

Be careful. Even 41 years ago, they were probably clearcoated on top of them. Carefully feel the edge of the decal. If it's a sharp edge that feels like the edge of a sticker, you have a chance. If it's smooth/rounded without a sharp, definitive corner, it has clearcoat on top of it, and those can't be removed without damaging the clearcoat.

In other words ... prepare to have the tank completely repainted.

Any suggestions on how to remove faded Honda factory decals from a tank on a 41 year old bike?
Honda used waterside decals under 3 stage lacquer on a lot of road bikes, they cannot be removed.

If you're repairing a damaged decal, simply apply the new over the old. If you want the tank to be as authentic as possible, have a waterside printed for you, artwork is all over the net, might cost a couple of bucks. Then clear over and finish using UV protective lacquer.

Suggestion: avoid dry fix vinyl labels. They are easier to find but look cheezy on a nice old bike.

Last edited:
Got it done today with 'ifiddles' suggestion of a heat gun except the plastic scraper I used started to warp so resorted to using a metal version. I ended up scraping some of the underlying paint but the new decal set covered that up well.

Thankfully there was no other coatings to work against me.

I went so far to clean the tank's old paint up and shot some clearcoat over it all to finish the job.

thanks for all the suggestions... (y)

WD40 for any leftover glue residue. Spray. Wait 2 minutes and rub with a rag. Repeat as required.

Back
Top Bottom