Death, Races, Broadcasting | GTAMotorcycle.com

Death, Races, Broadcasting

anth1414

Site Supporter
maybe its just me.....

but i was sort off put off by the fact that for the very first time i saw anything having to do with motorcycle racing on TSN.

so i ask the question, why did it take a death at a moto gp race to get some air time on tsn?

do we think that if the car racer didn't die last week that this moto gp death would have even be talked about on tsn?

i have always been one to question the air time that motorcycle racing gets on shows like TSN and SPORTSNET.

i know why they dont, but my problem is i have a hard time accepting the fact that they only cover moto gp when people die.

if you decide that moto gp is not something you want to cover...due to audience size,demographics,sponsorships ect. then do not cover it at all.

it seemed very distasteful to me. very unclassy. they shouldnt pretend that they care, because clearly they do not.

i dont follow moto gp. to be honest i dont know who the young man that died was. but what i didnt do was plaster all over facebook and twitter how much i will miss him.

if you are a fan, GREAT. you have every right to be sad and upset that someone in the sport that you follow died. but if you don't follow moto gp, don't pretend like you do.

discuss??
thoughts??

I find it very distastful that they have so many vids out and are showing it. Can you imagine being a family member or friend of him seeing this?

My dad used to always say Europeans watch racing to see who wins while North Americans watch racing to see who crashes. Tie that in with the old NA news adage "if it bleeds it leads" and it's not surprising it got air time. It was sensational and morbid. That's what sells here.

I don't mind TSN or whoever telling what happened in a purely news reporting standpoint.

What I do get annoyed with is when the usual stick and ball sports reporters opine on the safety of motorsports. Stick to hockey please.

is it distasteful to broadcast any natural disaster? get over yourselves. dont like what u see on tv? turn it off. simple. lol

maybe its just me.....

but i was sort off put off by the fact that for the very first time i saw anything having to do with motorcycle racing on TSN.

so i ask the question, why did it take a death at a moto gp race to get some air time on tsn?

do we think that if the car racer didn't die last week that this moto gp death would have even be talked about on tsn?

i have always been one to question the air time that motorcycle racing gets on shows like TSN and SPORTSNET.

i know why they dont, but my problem is i have a hard time accepting the fact that they only cover moto gp when people die.

if you decide that moto gp is not something you want to cover...due to audience size,demographics,sponsorships ect. then do not cover it at all.

it seemed very distasteful to me. very unclassy. they shouldnt pretend that they care, because clearly they do not.

i dont follow moto gp. to be honest i dont know who the young man that died was. but what i didnt do was plaster all over facebook and twitter how much i will miss him.

if you are a fan, GREAT. you have every right to be sad and upset that someone in the sport that you follow died. but if you don't follow moto gp, don't pretend like you do.

discuss??
thoughts??

Motorcycle racing is boring to 99% of the sport watching audience. Death and crashes are interesting to 100% the sport watching audience.

Unfortunately that's true. Traffic grinds to a halt with all the rubberneckers....and it turns out to be someone with a flat.

I don't mind TSN or whoever telling what happened in a purely news reporting standpoint.

What I do get annoyed with is when the usual stick and ball sports reporters opine on the safety of motorsports. Stick to hockey please.

Yeah, pretty much my opinion.

TSN has (had) been showing Canadian Outdoor MX and Canadian Superbike racing for years.

Last edited:
It's television. What does "caring" have to do with it?

Here's how it works. A company broadcasts sound and images that will attract as many people as possible to view or listen to them. They also charge companies money, to broadcast sound and images about those companies in particular. They call this advertising. The more people they have watching or listening, the more they can charge for that advertising. It's especially effective if the people watching and listening can't tell the difference between the programming and the advertising.

In this model, "caring" about what's broadcast really isn't important or even relevant.

Nothing produced for and by the media is worth a ****.It's how you deal with them in your heart that matters.But then if you had no contact with the media,it woudn't matter.Would it?

TSN has (had) been showing Canadian Outdoor MX and Canadian Superbike racing for years.

+1. I work in this business and it all comes down to Rights and its complicated. Thousands of Lawyers make a very good living on it :)

Speed has exclusive in North America for MotoGP and AMA so TSN cant show it - even clips - without Speed's permission and most likely a fee. Formula 1 is a little different as Speed only have the US rights for Live but North American rights for rebroadcast, thats why live F1 is/was blackout on Speed and TSN has the rights to the ITV feed for live distribution in Canada. I assume its still the case although I havent looked at it for a few years.

I dont think TSN has deep enough pockets to acquire MotoGP rights given the small potential Canadian audience, they will loose money. They probably get rights to Canadian MX and Superbike racing quite cheap.

That said its all about ratings

I cancelled cable so that I could afford motorcycle insurance. Don't miss the TV one bit actually

In case you haven't noticed, in North America we are the 'iggers of the transportation industry and the sports/enternainment industry.

i hate TSN they do not cover any racing from MOTOGP series and even their F1 coverage is half ***,, god forbid if the race goes over the 2 hr limit they just cut it off.. i liked it much better when Speed was covering the F1 races at least we used to get the pre race and post race interviews.....

this is why i only watch the BBC broadcast of all motogp and f1 races... they do it like a full blown Hollywood production broadcast.

i hate TSN they do not cover any racing from MOTOGP series and even their F1 coverage is half ***,, god forbid if the race goes over the 2 hr limit they just cut it off.. i liked it much better when Speed was covering the F1 races at least we used to get the pre race and post race interviews.....

this is why i only watch the BBC broadcast of all motogp and f1 races... they do it like a full blown Hollywood production broadcast.

LOL. The TSN broadcast IS the BBC feed.

LOL. The TSN broadcast IS the BBC feed.
Oh Really, i tought DC and Martin Brundle work exclusivly for TSN.... thanks for the clarifiction

By bbc broadcast i mean the actual bbc sport channel broadcast, they have a full 1 hr pre show followed by post racing interviews which we never get to see on TSN...

Back
Top Bottom