Deals Gap at Thanksgiving | GTAMotorcycle.com

Deals Gap at Thanksgiving

PaisaMed

Who's planning on going to the Gap? Looks like great weather. I was planning on trailering my bike down leaving Toronto on Wednesday.

I just got back on Friday. 5,600 kilometres.
ALQmDgy.jpg

We also went to Wheels Through Time, Barber Vintage Festival, Memphis, Corvette Museum, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the Anchor Bar.
I'll see if I can edit the route link in here later.

that photographer "killjoy" kinda caught me off guard when i was down there. he should give riders a heads up "photos in the next corner"
I could've dragged my knees "wishful thinking" for the shoot.LOL
I encourage riders (not new riders" to head down to the Smokey Mountains. As you can tell, it was a blast!

Yup thats why I try to never take I75
Google will say its shorter but by no means better.
The only way I take I75 is if the weather is bad along I79 / I77
The only major city you go through is Pitt and you can easily use 376 to get around that.
It's a toll road and are suppose to send fee in the mail.
Will wait and see.

Yeah the cruiser in behind you in the pic is doing a big no no at the Dragon. Stay on your side of the yellow line!!!

I'm back from the Gap and after having trailered my bike down there and back both on Labour Day weekend and this past Thanksgiving weekend, I am considering a bit of a radical idea and was wondering if anyone had similar thoughts.

I'm thinking for riding my bike down there on May 15-18, 2020 and then leaving it in mini storage 5 kms from Hartsfield Jackson airport in Atlanta. I called the facility today and they said it's $51 per month with no minimum but the first month is $1 and there is a $24.95 administrative set up fee. Delta Airlines runs cheap fares to Atlanta as it's their hub and I can fly return for $410 Cdn. My car round trip uses just under $500 of gas and my last two U haul trailer rentals have been $101 and $119 respectively. You can fly Saturday morning and return Sunday night and probably get 1,000 kms of quality riding. I have chosen Atlanta over the Knoxville airport (McGee Tyson) just because the airfares are much more economical. I would fly down 3-4 times over 90 days in the summer and then would plan to go down late August and ride the bike back over the labour day weekend.

Anyone ever considered this?

Atlanta traffic is almost as bad as Toronto. That would be my worry.

Yeah the cruiser in behind you in the pic is doing a big no no at the Dragon. Stay on your side of the yellow line!!!
Yeah, I bugged him about it. His response was that it's a double line and he was on his lane's line, leaning in, and had good visibility ahead. With that big bike he needed the full lane width, wore out his pegs feelers and occasionally dragged hard parts, but made it through. Next time he's going to bring a bike with better clearance, so we can travel faster if we like.

My worry for that area, is people like the ones we met, who had just gotten licensed, bought brand new bikes and then trailered them over to the tail for their first ride together.

It's kind of like skiing Saudan Colouir at Whistler, but with much more danger.

Officer: "So tell me what happened?"
Cruiser Rider: "Well, my tire was on my side of the yellow line. I had lots of time to avoid the accident and a clear line of site. My big, heavy cruiser handles like a scalpel"
Officer: "So half of your motorcycle was in the oncoming lane? I'm glad you're taking responsibility for your riding and the semi/corvette/other cruiser you just hit"
Cruiser Rider: "Well, my bike bike needs the whole lane width, I wore out my feeler pegs and was dragging hard parts"
Officer "Yeah, nothing you could do, clearly the bike is at fault here"

Be safe out there. Most of the time it's someone in your lane. On a bike, it doesn't matter who was right.

Re bike storage down south... I have found that almost all the time, YYZ to Knoxville is less expensive than to Atlanta, even if the Knoxville flight changes planes in ATL. And no security lineups at the smaller airports. Landing at Knox puts you right where you want to be, Atlanta means 3 hours of crap riding on each end of the trip. Check into it. I've considered it but would not even think about doing that at ATL.

Officer: "So tell me what happened?"
Cruiser Rider: "Well, my tire was on my side of the yellow line. I had lots of time to avoid the accident and a clear line of site. My big, heavy cruiser handles like a scalpel"
Officer: "So half of your motorcycle was in the oncoming lane? I'm glad you're taking responsibility for your riding and the semi/corvette/other cruiser you just hit"
Cruiser Rider: "Well, my bike bike needs the whole lane width, I wore out my feeler pegs and was dragging hard parts"
Officer "Yeah, nothing you could do, clearly the bike is at fault here"

Be safe out there. Most of the time it's someone in your lane. On a bike, it doesn't matter who was right.

Or
“I had to lay ‘er down to avoid a crash!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom