D30 or SAS-TEC back protection | GTAMotorcycle.com

D30 or SAS-TEC back protection

Michael0124

Site Supporter
Just ordered a hi-viz Scorpion Vortex Air jacket for summer commuting, and looking to upgrade the thin foam in the back to ce2.

I've never tried the Scorpion recommended SAS-TEC piece but it seems bulky and not as ventilated in comparison to the D30.

Anyone have experience with the SAS-TEC piece? I've used D30 and I liked it, not sure if I should get that or use what Scorpion suggests. The D30 is 15mm smaller on both length and width, so fitment is pretty close.

I Would appreciate some feedback regarding comfort, ventilation, etc. from anyone who's used it.

Thanks in advance!

Can you stretch and buy an airbag? I am not convinced about any piece of foam being all that helpful when you hit stationary objects.

I have a Held Shelter II back protector (in a vest, not for a pouch in a jacket) that uses SAS-TEC. It's far stiffer than the D3O when it's cold, but softens up quite quickly from body heat. I have a D3O one that I use in a Dainese street leather jacket, and it's much floppier. A bunch of the ventilation holes needed to be cut out as half were closed from a crappy injection mold, but either way, I notice zero difference in cooling in the real world between the two. I probably feel more secure in the SAS-TEC, but it's a lot thicker and longer. Held claims 7.5 kN residual force, which exceeds CE2...

I have a Held Shelter II back protector (in a vest, not for a pouch in a jacket) that uses SAS-TEC. It's far stiffer than the D3O when it's cold, but softens up quite quickly from body heat. I have a D3O one that I use in a Dainese street leather jacket, and it's much floppier. A bunch of the ventilation holes needed to be cut out as half were closed from a crappy injection mold, but either way, I notice zero difference in cooling in the real world between the two. I probably feel more secure in the SAS-TEC, but it's a lot thicker and longer. Held claims 7.5 kN residual force, which exceeds CE2...
I had to cut out most of the holes on mine as well. Probably pretty common.

Can you stretch and buy an airbag? I am not convinced about any piece of foam being all that helpful when you hit stationary objects.

That's a big stretch lol...pads are under 100, airbags are significantly more. Better, absolutely, but not a member of the "f'n baller club" so out of my budget unfortunately. Considering how hard I got hit last year the pad definitely minimized the damage so I have faith in its ability to protect.

Thanks, that was what I was worried about, it seems really stiff and wasn't sure if it would mold to my back like the D30 does. I have an Alpinestars Nucleon ce2 that looks similar and that is stiff until body heat softens it up. I'm guessing it's similar then. As it'll be my comfy commuter jacket I want something, well, comfy lol.

Both options are decent, I have some SAS-TEC stuff, much stiffer, and I mostly use the new ventilated V2 D30 Stuff.

Forcefield make a good back protector, much stiffer than either of the other 2.

I have that forcefield piece, used it in a Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket that I sold last year. It's bulky, not so comfy but seems like the best protection of its kind. Already tried to fit it in the Scorpion but it's too big for this jacket. It now resides in my "armoured" Joe Rocket hoodie that I only wear when riding locally (store runs, no highways, etc.)

I had to cut out most of the holes on mine as well. Probably pretty common.

Same, I think it's pretty common on the D30, not a huge deal to me.

Thanks for the feedback all, still figuring it out but I might just get the SAS-TEC as it's what is recommended. Good to know it does get soft and mold to your body as it heats up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom