Cylinder Honing Where? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cylinder Honing Where?

Jaymod

Site Supporter
I would like to have my ex500 parallel twin honed, it’s about .004” out of round and not sure if it has taper.
Does anyone know a place near Brampton, and any idea what that service should cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't talk about out that way, but if you're up for a bit of a drive I've had lots of excellent work done at Roger Tennant automotive in Port Perry. A good old-school machine shop that knows their stuff.

0.004" out of round needs more than a hone.

I’m pretty sure what I’m looking for is called honing. From what I understand, it’s a four sided stone tool that corrects out of round, and taper.
I could be wrong, but I think you’re thinking of de-glazing (ball hone, or three blade stone) which is not really meant to remove material, just bring back the cross hatch.
Again I could be way out to lunch lol, this is just my understanding, and why I’m asking

I’m pretty sure what I’m looking for is called honing. From what I understand, it’s a four sided stone tool that corrects out of round, and taper.
I could be wrong, but I think you’re thinking of de-glazing (ball hone, or three blade stone) which is not really meant to remove material, just bring back the cross hatch.
Again I could be way out to lunch lol, this is just my understanding, and why I’m asking

You are correct. The hone freshens up the crosshatch. But you need a rebore and or cylinder replating.And new piston.

0 004" (0.1mm) is way too much for honing. Needs to be bored out for oversize pistons. Means you need the services of a machine shop. Try KMM in Mississauga. Price out parts...the question of whether this is an economically viable repair has to be asked.

As others have said, honing sets the surface finish. The stones float around whatever shape is there. You need proper machining with a cutting tool to get back to round. I'm not convinced that expense would be justified by an EX500 unless there are extraordinary circumstances. It's probably cheaper to start from a low-mileage donor engine.

EDIT:
Bondi has been around for a long time and posts prices. $80/cylinder seems crazy low to me but that's what they have on the website.

Just curious. How did you measure the bore? And with what tools?
And while we're on the hunt for information to satisfy our curiosity, how many miles, was it raced a lot, is it currently stock, why is it pulled apart etc. Getting the engine apart enough to measure taper and out of round in the bore is not normally done unless you were already planning on a trip to the machine shop.

I measured the bore by putting it on the mill and spinning a dial indicator and got +.002” front and back and “0” coming through the middle/side could have measured wrong, I will see if Q/C at work can put it on the CMM and get me real numbers. The engine is apart because I put a hole in the piston, I don’t remember the odometer somewhere between 20,000 and 30,000. No idea what happened to it before I got it. The bore walls, and piston show no signs wear.. apparently from a ninja 500 forum this motor is likely to go out of round on the way home from the dealer, just the way it is.. everything is so thin from starting its life as a much smaller engine that it twists and warps, not really a problem if you don’t take it apart. And once corrected before reassembly not a problem again as everything has heat cycled and found where it wants to be.

Use a bore gauge and micrometer.
"Just the way it is" ummm, no.
"Found where it wants to be" no.

Maybe I’m not explaining it correctly, can you explain your disagreement. In the ex500 forum there is a member that is a machinist by trade that used to run a ex500 race team, and race himself. After reading many of his posts that is how I interpreted it.. I don’t claim to know anything, just looking for as much information as possible, I love to learn.

The wording of your post comes off a bit like a grumpy old man who is too good to share his wealth of knowledge. I read most of the stuff posted on this forum and see how you normally converse so I know this is not true.

I’m getting it measured with a very accurate computer controlled machine, should have solid accurate data soon.

Measuring with a bore gauge I see about a .003” difference sideways vs front and back. Like I said, I should have solid numbers by the end of the day.

In the ex500 forum there is a member that is a machinist by trade that used to run a ex500 race team, and race himself.
You've met FOG.
He's an idiot. A very opinionated idiot. He has never run a race team. He raced a stock EX. BONE STOCK.

If you've measured a 0.003" difference front to back, it needs to be bored. No question about it.

EX's have a bad habit of tweaking when you take them apart. If you take the head off a motor that has never been apart, when you loosen the head bolts the cylinder will twist and bend.
So if you take the head off, you have to hone it (at least) and do a slow break in again, even if you re-use the same pistons and rings.
... not because "everything is so thin from starting its life as a much smaller engine"... seeing how that motor started as a GPz900, but because the EX is a cheap motor, built to a price point
... and that's just the way it is. CHEAP CRAP.

Maybe I’m not explaining it correctly, can you explain your disagreement. In the ex500 forum there is a member that is a machinist by trade that used to run a ex500 race team, and race himself. After reading many of his posts that is how I interpreted it.. I don’t claim to know anything, just looking for as much information as possible, I love to learn.

The wording of your post comes off a bit like a grumpy old man who is too good to share his wealth of knowledge. I read most of the stuff posted on this forum and see how you normally converse so I know this is not true.

You asked for advice on where to get an out of round cylinder honed. That isn't what you need.
Apparently you don't like our advice. So that's where the grumpy old man came from.

Back
Top Bottom