Cut your own replacement clipon tubes? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cut your own replacement clipon tubes?

Corsara

Site Supporter
I know Vortex and Woodcraft tubes are interchangeable, so are the tubes in the Chinese clipons (of which I own a set). Replacement tubes are very cheap, like $15 a piece...

One of the tubes bent in a crash last week, so wondering why I don't just buy some 7/8 aluminum tubing and cut my own spare bars from it? I can probably get 10 tubes for the $15 = 10 crashes for cheap :D

Any considerations, is it better to be thicker walled tubing, or thick and strong is not so good? Also should it be 6061 alloy or any aluminum will do?

Thicker walled tubing would probably help with vibration. Not sure if you'd feel the difference of mass from left to right handle bar though.

Thicker tubing might mean the fork clamp gets damaged or bent in a crash and not just the bar.

Its best to have the cheapest and easiest to replace part be the weak link.

If you dont need all 10 sets and want to sell off a couple, I'd be interested in taking some :)

Thats what I've done. wasn't sure where to get the plastic plugs for the ends though, so I punched out some alum slugs that were just a bit over sized and pressed them in the end.

If you dont need all 10 sets and want to sell off a couple, I'd be interested in taking some :)

Sure. Now waiting for the metal builders in Stoney Creek to send me the price quote. I requested 10 pieces, 10.5 inch long, 7/8 outside diameter, .125 inch thickness, 6061-T6 aluminum. I don't know what exactly to expect for price, turns out regular stores have all kinds of diameters, but no 7/8.

Thats what I've done. wasn't sure where to get the plastic plugs for the ends though, so I punched out some alum slugs that were just a bit over sized and pressed them in the end.

Do the plugs serve any purpose at all?

Not good, see below :(

------------

Good Morning,

We received your request for this aluminum tubing yesterday but this size isn’t a good size for us, we have .875” X .065” thickness only.

------------

Dear Chad,

Thanks for replying.

Unfortunately, the 0.875 x 0.125 is for a very specific application. 0.065 will not be strong enough. Any idea from where I can source some tubing with my requirements?

Thank you,

Orlin

------------

Sorry I am not sure where to direct you to at this time, 7/8” diameter can be a tough one to come across.

Ok, so for all who might be interested----tubing can be ordered online, but I found only US places that have it, so with shipping added, there won't be any savings (unless I buy tubes for clipon bars for the whole community, lol)..

Personally, I'm just going to order some woodcraft bars and be done with it. Not worth the hassle.

They have this, ALUMINUM 6061T6 ROUND TUBE 0.875 X 0.125. Under Aluminum tube round, not under aluminum pipe.

The above pasted email replies were from them (Chad, the manager of Metal Supermarkets in Stoney Creek).

Oh my bad. They show it, and I know I've gotten it from them in the past, at the Kitchener store. Maybe call them?

They have this, ALUMINUM 6061T6 ROUND TUBE 0.875 X 0.125. Under Aluminum tube round, not under aluminum pipe.

I asked for exactly that

Oh my bad. They show it, and I know I've gotten it from them in the past, at the Kitchener store. Maybe call them?

Too late for me, placed an order at bluestreak for a couple of woodcraft replacement bars. Next time I'll call other Metal Supermarkets stores, not just Stoney Creek. Well, I was a bit discouraged putting anymore effort into it when he said "7/8 is hard to come by", should have still called around.

That's silly... It's their business. I'll bet if you asked for 20,000 lbs of it they would have it in 3 days...

That's silly... It's their business. I'll bet if you asked for 20,000 lbs of it they would have it in 3 days...

20000lbs and metal supermarket, is it a fairytail, you wouldn't find snow in the winter up there, scrap yards have more metal then they do.

Last edited:
I buy steel from them. Usually next day.

http://www.speedymetals.com/pc-4570-8371-78-od-x-012-wall-tube-6061-t6-aluminum.aspx

I can give them a call. I can bring some back next time.

Thanks Yorkee, but it seems the metal is not as cheap as I thought. The alum tubing in the link you posted is perfect size, but assuming a bar is about 10 inches, and base price per inch is $1.45, it adds up to the exact same price a Woodcraft of Vortex replacement bar costs (~$15). Of course, there could be savings if, let's say, we buy 60" for $70 bucks (shipping costs?!), but seems the savings are not probably worth all the effort... unless we bend bars every day, lol :)

Back
Top Bottom