[CTV News] Motorcyclist shocked her insurance is discontinued | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

[CTV News] Motorcyclist shocked her insurance is discontinued

Do you know a way how we can force this legal test? I got dropped by Aviva this year and I'm mad on them but mostly I'm afraid that other insurance companies might see it as a good example and follow Aviva's steps.. as a result, we might find ourselves in a situation when only a couple of insurance companies offer insurance to riders with less than 5/6 years of experience
Aviva isnt the only one. I got quoted $77 a month full coverage on a new Ninja 400 as an add on to my auto policy. A few weeks later I get an email from my broker,
"Please note that as of June 10 the underwriting rules changed for Economical insurance and I can not add a motorcycle to your policy because you have less than 3 years of motorcycle experience"

Aviva isnt the only one. I got quoted $77 a month full coverage on a new Ninja 400 as an add on to my auto policy. A few weeks later I get an email from my broker,
"Please note that as of June 10 the underwriting rules changed for Economical insurance and I can not add a motorcycle to your policy because you have less than 3 years of motorcycle experience"

And this is what I'm afraid of.. especially that looks like all these decisions are not based on any data and looks like they don't really check data.. as a person who works in IT, I'm so frustrated that they don't use their own data to make decisions.. it is so easy with modern technology and looks like they just don't care..

Its a joke, im 36 y/o with a perfect driving record and get denied insurance on a policy thats already active, on a dinky 400cc bike.

And this is what I'm afraid of.. especially that looks like all these decisions are not based on any data and looks like they don't really check data.. as a person who works in IT, I'm so frustrated that they don't use their own data to make decisions.. it is so easy with modern technology and looks like they just don't care..
They don't care, most see MC insurance as a necessary evil, they only keep MC and sled insurance in their portfolios so they don't lose the accompanying home and auto policies. The MC market is very small, too small for them to invest resources -- most will know their payout to premium ratios as a whole, not many know the market or where they are taking on risk.

I don't have any hard data, but it's pretty clear that insurers are making good money on MC policies despite their ineptitude at evaluating risk. If you look at states/provinces where payout data is transparent (like Quebec), you can make some overall assumptions. In QC, the probability of a payout to a MC rider is about 1/5 that of a car. Average payouts are double. Do the math -- they make a ton on MC insurance.

I can't blame Aviva if they're losing money on motorcycles, but if I find they're in financial trouble I'll kick them out as my house insurer.

It's a PITA for consumers when rates jump sure, but... AVIVA isnt' the only game in town. F-em.
Years ago the insurer I had pretty much everything with decided to jack my automotive rates by almost 50%
I called and inquired as to why, looking for some sort of justification... I had been claims free for YEARS.
I was given a less than satisfactory answer made up of what I can only describe as weak mumbo jumbo.
After securing alternate coverage with another insurer I called mumbo jumbo inc. back and cancelled EVERYTHING.
Later I read in the news that mumbo jumbo inc. had incurred huge losses playing in the investment markets.
I can only assume jacking ins. premiums was an attempt to dig themselves out of a hole.

If there's any solidarity withing the motorcycle riding community everyone with AVIVA should call them up and cancel.
If for no other reason than to send a symbolic message.

'Sort of a "You can't fire me... I quit"

I cancelled my car policy with Aviva. Started shopping around before my renewal after hearing about this crap last year. Thankfully my bike is under another company already.

****** off about vintage insurance too. Tried to find some for a 1988 Kawasaki Ninja 750R and it was blacklisted by a well known Broker with a vintage program. The bike is over 30 years old and still it's not insurable for some reason that they couldn't tell me. It was insurable with them 2 years ago as my dad has the same bike and they renewed for him this year as well. Feels like they're just making up rules as they go along.

I'm with Echelon through Riders Plus. Thought for sure I was going to get hammered but premium unchanged from last year.

She says she is a good rider, no tickets. Good for you.
I'm a ATGATT rider, so maybe just me, but anyone else notice the 'yoga' pants ( think that's right ) and the running shoes?
And it's only AVIVA that canceled her insurance. Are there no other insurance companies that want her business?
Yeah **** shoes...no socks....disaster ..
.....some will learn the hard way.

Interesting, the TV reporters in the original post asked CMA their opinion on the insurance situation
:ROFLMAO: as if Marilynn would know or care about street bike insurance.

Yeah **** shoes...no socks....disaster ..
.....some will learn the hard way.
She's riding up and down her street for a quick video for CTV, I think it's more than ok attire. Hopefully that's not how she rides most of the time but eh, it's a personal choice. She claims to come from a motorcycling family so I'd say it's reasonable to assume she knows the risks involved. Everyone has a different appetite for risk

They dropped me aswell last year, in spite of even going from a 650cc to a 500cc with ABS and 2 years extra experience, they increased my rates over 20% just because of not having 6 years exp. I feel at 6 years experience they will say I need 10 Years, and at 10 years will say I need 15Years+ a clean record, anything to keep raising it to benefit their odds. At the time I wanted to sell the bike and just get a dirt bike, broker told me a break in insurance would raise the prices and affect me later, and off road insurance doesn't count. So how the &^%$ do you get experience and lower the rates under 6 years, def a catch22 on all ends.

Aviva customer service was absolute garbage for a truck claim we had last year. My advice is to get out of any Aviva policy you might have.
I want to use much stronger language.

guys try td insurance they gave me the best QUOTE 1268$ for all year for my r3( m2 with 3 years experience no tickets)
been with ANIVA for 3 years its a shame what they done. Other companies like intact gave me a quote for 3k way to much.

guys try td insurance they gave me the best QUOTE 1268$ for all year for my r3( m2 with 3 years experience no tickets)
been with ANIVA for 3 years its a shame what they done. Other companies like intact gave me a quote for 3k way to much.
It's sad that 1.3k is considered good for an R3. How old are you, if you don't mind me asking ? 3k for an r3 is just plain ridiculous.

25 with a clean record anivia had the best quote by far for the past years hopefully people can get the same price the payed with aniva

Figure it out in $ per kilometre at the end of the riding season and you will know if you got a good deal or not.

Workmate is with AVIVA, they were wondering how to drop them. He renewed his policy May 1, costly to cancel?

Wow, yet I'm insured with Aviva with an FZ 09 ,living in Mississauga and even with all their changes my rate continues to fall. I've got full coverage including my whole health index bought for $1,276.

That being said I've been paying out the *** for years, so maybe its about time I'm getting proper rates.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Interesting thread. Last year Aviva tried to terminate my bike policy on my zx6r. I'm 44yrs old but only had my bike license for a few years.

I called them and threatened to switch my other policies if they wouldn't renew the bike. I had two cars and three houses with them. I'm not sure if I got lucky but they agreed to keep the bike.

Back
Top Bottom