CTMP Aug 29 with Riders Choice | GTAMotorcycle.com

CTMP Aug 29 with Riders Choice

Sebi

Don't call me Shirley
Site Supporter
Who went? What did you think of the track and overall day?

For me, it was my first time at CTMP and wow, what a track. It's unfortunate that we only got 1 session in before lunch and will all the crashes and long downtime. Is that typical for CTMP? By the third session I started getting more comfortable with the track and increasing the pace. Most fun I've had on a bike thus far :D

Fast, flowing track that most riders love, but it's unforgiving of mistakes. I haven't done a general track day there for years and don't plan to in the future (recall our conversation at Grand Bend last week ...) but it seems common to hear reports of major incidents. Race weekends have fewer crashes than track days (probably some combination of better training, more experience, better separation of rider and bike capabilities, and less general stupidity because the riders are more focused on riding); it's still bad when it happens.

I always take a notch off at Mosport just to keep some margin of safety to avoid crashing.

I always take a notch off at Mosport just to keep some margin of safety to avoid crashing.
Yea, I agree. There were some sketchy (at best) passes being made that were totally unnecessary. It's a track day, not a race. I think more people should carry that attitude you mentioned into Mosport; ride a notch below to give you some safety margin. It's a track you ride to simply enjoy yourself. Pushing at Mosport is a bad idea if you're not planning on racing or are indifferent to the very real possibility of writing your bike off and putting yourself in a hospital. We didn't care about lap times or going fast that day; just having fun and bringing the bikes back safe (both of which we achieved! Well, Mike's Triumph's motor may have protested the latter...)

A Triumph blew up? LOL

Mosport is hard on equipment. Full throttle near max revs most of the time. Anything that can vibrate off, will. Last time I went (VRRA a couple years ago) I came in from practice to find that a swingarm spool had vibrated off. Who checks those??

If I recall..last yrs riders choice day at mosport was a **** show....to many wannabe racers with no regard to any one else safety...ambulance got more lap time than I did...

Hey Sebi. We were pitted opposite you just a little farther down. Mosport is an awesome track but you need to bring your A game and ride good equipment. I have done quite a number of days there all with Pro 6. This was the first time with Riders Choice. A few comments that I would make. Tech was not that thorough. I think things were missed for sure. One of my friends was hit by something coming off a bike. I know you can't catch everything but just kicking foot pegs and exhaust pipes is not doing a good inspection. Passing rules were not put in place in the different groups and that for sure can lead to some serious problems. Allowing passing in corners in the beginner and intermediate groups is inviting disaster. It can't be stressed enough that it is a track day and everyone needs to be respectful out there. I ran in the expert group and did not encounter any issues as riders there are comfortable with close passing in corners. On a normal day you would usually get 3 sessions in the morning and 4 in the afternoon. We got a total of 5 all day because the ambulance was tied up with injured riders and the track can't run if the ambulance is not available. Pro 6 always has 2 ambulances on standby and sometimes 3 if it's really busy. Since there was only 1 available then track time is lost while we wait for injured riders to be attended to which in a sense is not fair to all the riders who paid for the day. I hope all the riders that were injured are ok. I seen some of the bikes that crashed and they were definitely not ok. Crashing at Mosport with the high speeds that you carry at that track will definitely hurt you and can total your bike. It is supposed to be a fun day and the checkered flag means your session is over not you won the race. I was still glad to have the opportunity to ride the track. Unfortunately my bike failed me and only got 3 sessions in for the day. (2 coils went bad fixed now.) Off to TMP Sunday but I think that's it for the year.:(

CTMP log says track was closed for 30 mins

To boot 3 of the crashes were not rollable wrecks which delays recovery (T1, T4 and T9)

I decided to go last minute - after being away from the track for 2.5 years it was a blast - ran into a few familiar faces but didn't ride till the lunchtime.
Anyone see me in old retired leathers with DUA on the back?

Back
Top Bottom