CSBK 2021 | GTAMotorcycle.com

CSBK 2021

TK4

Four doubleheaders (possibly a fifth) and no Shannonville ?

Attachments

• CSBK2021.jpg
    CSBK2021.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 28
CSBK did well with this, given all that is going on. I like the heads-up that, "hey, we don't know, but we're trying, be ready to race in May if we can be".
No Shannonville is a great shame, but we all know that there are reasons for that which are out of CSBK's control. Maybe in 2022 that particular wound will be healing.

Last edited:
CSBK did well with this, given all that is going on. I like the heads-up that, "hey, we don't know we're trying, be ready to race in May if we can be".
No Shannonville is a great shame, but we all know that there are reasons for that which are out of CSBK's control. Maybe in 2022 that particular wound will be healing.
What reasons ? Inquiring minds need to know.

Crazy. I haven't paid much attention to CSBK for years, as it's not an easy series to care about west of Ontario, but it was synonymous with Shannonville back in the day. Hopefully they can heal the rift, as it's by far the best place to watch a race...

Crazy. I haven't paid much attention to CSBK for years, as it's not an easy series to care about west of Ontario, but it was synonymous with Shannonville back in the day. Hopefully they can heal the rift, as it's by far the best place to watch a race...
Indeed it is - especially compared to Calabogie, where most of the track is inaccessible to spectators.

Unfortunately, the relationship between the new owners of Shannonville/RACE/SuperSeries and many established stakeholders has been ... acrimonious. They want things done their way and won't even consider otherwise, and it just isn't done that way. I know that someone from the regional-level roadracing community was planning to have a year-end meeting with them to discuss a number of issues. That should have happened by now, but I haven't heard of any outcome. At this point, I can only see this getting resolved by a number of parties who don't see eye to eye, apologising to each other and then moving forward the way things are supposed to be done, and I don't see that happening. Or ... bankruptcy. Again.

• Sad
Reactions: TK4
At this point, I can only see this getting resolved by a number of parties who don't see eye to eye, apologising to each other and then moving forward the way things are supposed to be done, and I don't see that happening. Or ... bankruptcy. Again.

What a shame. It's such a cool track, and should be the hub of motorcycle racing in Ontario. Granted, turns 1 and 14 could be a bit safer, but compared to Mosport/CTMP and Calabogie, well...

I don't know the issues that led to bankruptcy in the first place, or whether the new group has any legitimate claim to make changes. I do know that the old business model for tracks isn't hugely sustainable, and the new approach seems to rely on catering to well heeled car owners. On a purely selfish level, I'd love to see Shannonville do well just so they can improve the surface etc. But I also want to see a healthy national racing series (that I do wish would find places west of Ontario to make it more national, though I understand how difficult that is, bordering on impossible...)

And well-heeled motorcycle owners. But you don't endear yourselves to that group by getting things wrong (the trackside-vendor issue was a particularly contentious one last year - I won't be back until it changes) and then banning long-term well-respected riders (who could be your future customers) from facebook and from future event participation because they said something negative (i.e. pointed out that there was an issue ...) on social media. I could name names. But I won't, not here. The people who need to know, can figure it out for themselves.

I've managed to not get banned ... but it has been by pointing things out here and elsewhere, and hoping it filters back, as opposed to direct communication (frustrating, didn't accomplish anything ... I tried) or via their facebook page (insta-ban), while NOT spending one red cent there.

Indeed it is - especially compared to Calabogie, where most of the track is inaccessible to spectators.

Unfortunately, the relationship between the new owners of Shannonville/RACE/SuperSeries and many established stakeholders has been ... acrimonious. They want things done their way and won't even consider otherwise, and it just isn't done that way. I know that someone from the regional-level roadracing community was planning to have a year-end meeting with them to discuss a number of issues. That should have happened by now, but I haven't heard of any outcome. At this point, I can only see this getting resolved by a number of parties who don't see eye to eye, apologising to each other and then moving forward the way things are supposed to be done, and I don't see that happening. Or ... bankruptcy. Again.
Who went bankrupt? Last I heard Mr. Gautier is in Naples Florida enjoying his retirement.

No one yet. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "again". I just don't see a way out of the current situation. Maybe I'm wrong.

That's unfortunate about Shanny. Its not the greatest track in Ontario for a rider, but as a spectator I think its one of the best as regardless of the track layout you pretty much have an un-obscured view of the whole facility; except for that little section behind the trees. Spent a few really good afternoons sitting in those stands

Calabogie is a bit of a strange one for a spectator. There are not many places to view from apart from those balconies in the paddock area and the building at turn 2. It would be nice if they put a little path in that let spectators onto that bank in the bowl area. There is a great view of bikes coming down off the hill and right through to turn 20. I always thought they could also put in a little stand right back against the trees between 2 and 3.

That's unfortunate about Shanny. Its not the greatest track in Ontario for a rider, but as a spectator I think its one of the best as regardless of the track layout you pretty much have an un-obscured view of the whole facility; except for that little section behind the trees. Spent a few really good afternoons sitting in those stands

Calabogie is a bit of a strange one for a spectator. There are not many places to view from apart from those balconies in the paddock area and the building at turn 2. It would be nice if they put a little path in that let spectators onto that bank in the bowl area. There is a great view of bikes coming down off the hill and right through to turn 20. I always thought they could also put in a little stand right back against the trees between 2 and 3.
There is a path up onto the bank above the Quarry turns, I've walked up there a few times to watch. You can see riders come into 15 and down the hill through 16 all the way to the turn onto the front straight.

I know that someone from the regional-level roadracing community was planning to have a year-end meeting with them to discuss a number of issues. That should have happened by now, but I haven't heard of any outcome.

Update on this because I'm not sure if the person spearheading this (Bev Ackerman) is a member here. They've evidently had some discussion. The trackside vendor won't be back. (Good.) The red-flag rule discussion is evidently being taken up with the FIM. I'm not sure why there's anything to discuss but whatever the case, presumably that's going to be fixed. (All they have to do, is either put it back to the way it was: rider who causes a red flag gets disqualified, or include the second part of the FIM rule that they didn't include last year: all riders have to ride their bike under its own power back to the paddock within 5 minutes of the red flag being thrown (we'd have to mod that to say "of riders being released from a red-flag stoppage" or something similar) to be classified as a finisher - which basically has the same effect.)

They are planning to have an episode of Pat Gonsalves "Track Announcers Notebook" (online zoom meeting) in the near future, not scheduled yet. At the moment they are soliciting questions to ask in advance. For those not on facebook, post them here, I or someone else will get them to Bev. And yes, "why no CSBK round at Shannonville" is already a question that he is aware of (LOL)

Thanks for the update, Brian.

No questions from me, just hoping it can be worked out to everyone's satisfaction. Sounds like progress is being made. CSBK without Shannonville and Shannonville without CSBK just feels wrong.

Here's hoping we can get back to watching races sooner than later!

Back
Top Bottom