Cruising during State of Emergency? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cruising during State of Emergency?

QVBD

Hi all,

With the new extended State of Emergency dates, I still see people riding their motorcycles, which I hope are in essential services. Has anyone been cruising? I fully support flattening the curve but wonder where solo riding falls in this new climate.

At the moment, in Ontario, there's no restriction. Meeting up with other people is the issue, not the riding itself.

Bear in mind that there's no worthwhile places to go - they're all closed. Attractions are all closed. Can't stop at a restaurant. I don't think drive-thru is supposed to serve someone on a motorcycle although I haven't tried it (nowhere to put what I bought at the window anyhow), nor someone walking through.

The other concern is that if you break down or crash, you now have to interact with other people, and you may be tying up valuable health care resources.

I've still been going out - went out earlier today - BUT ... "be careful", no silly risks ... bike leaves my garage with a full tank of fuel, I do a non-stop loop, and come back to my garage. There is a risk when using filling station nozzles ... I'm filling at home from a jerry can, that way I only have to deal with a filling station nozzle much less frequently.

This may change if we go on full lock-down like other places have done.

I may have said this before, if riding is your thing it might provide some mental health benefits during stressful times. It is a calculated risk, you could crash or break down which present other challenges (including being in a hospital Emerg room). On the other hand you might not kill a household member (because they sniffle too much, or wear too many animal prints).

Ride at safe speeds, on a well sorted bike and and travel in full gear. I don't think it's hard to maintain social distancing and proper hygiene while out for a ride - as long as you don't need a paramedic or tow truck.

Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm packing food - lunch, and if necessary based on length of ride, dinner.

Also packing beverages both cold, and hot in a thermos.

Have gloves for gas pumps.

No need to stop anywhere else, personally.

FWIW some drive throughs are now willing to serve people on foot...and getting served on a motorcycle has never ever proven to be a problem for me in the past.

Started packing toilet paper as well now too considering my last big ride last weekend the biggest issue we experienced was finding a bathroom - murphys law it ended up being a bit of an, uh...emergency. Worst case now, if need be, I'll park somewhere on the side of the road and run into the woods. No different IMHO than any car driver in a similar situation now honestly. Something for everyone to keep in mind if they're out riding, or even driving - public bathrooms are becoming extremely hard to come by.

@PrivatePilot that works if you're a guy...a bit harder for girls, especially when wearing overpants and jeans LMAO that's why all my rides so far have been within town...i have the world's smallest bladder i swear :D

as for public bathrooms becoming scarce, just saw an article about Ford pleading with places that are open to let truck drivers and delivery drivers use their facilities...his quotes sounded like he was on the verge of tears...if i remember correctly you're a truck driver (as is my hubby) so i feel for you guys...

as for public bathrooms becoming scarce, just saw an article about Ford pleading with places that are open to let truck drivers and delivery drivers use their facilities...his quotes sounded like he was on the verge of tears...if i remember correctly you're a truck driver (as is my hubby) so i feel for you guys...

Very much a big issue. Denied access to bathrooms yesterday to even wash my hands before eating at a fast food joint, much less relieving myself.

Today, this..

IMG_3074.jpg

It's been an issue for a long time, denying access to drivers. But now it's gone almost universal. It's nuts - there are some drivers out there having no choice but to take dumps in parking lots between the trailers.

Ironically...it's us same guys who are actually making it able for these places to be still working...and they can't even have the decency of letting us in to relieve ourselves anymore.

Afaik, no specific restriction within the province. Socially frowned upon by many. Viewed as a harmless escape by many riders.

I kinda agree and disagree. I'm riding to work, classified as an essential worker, i know I've made this point before and it's not popular one with some, but are we are going to start mocking cyclists and Transit riders for possibly causing a risk factor to the Hospitals also. Where do you start and stop saying what is safe and what isn't. I'm sure the pedestrians around the downtown core would love for the Uber and Taxi drivers to be banned as well.

Doing ramps and hooligan runs however i do see a difference.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the hammer coming down by the province some time soon for travel of any kind (4 or 2 wheel) pleasure wise.

Very much a big issue. Denied access to bathrooms yesterday to even wash my hands before eating at a fast food joint, much less relieving myself.

Today, this..

It's been an issue for a long time, denying access to drivers. But now it's gone almost universal. It's nuts - there are some drivers out there having no choice but to take dumps in parking lots between the trailers.

Ironically...it's us same guys who are actually making it able for these places to be still working...and they can't even have the decency of letting us in to relieve ourselves anymore.
Saw this in the Sun from Rob Ford about the situation:

No problems so far. If I pitstop to stretch, water. I just stay away from people and talk with anyone at a distance.
But umm unscheduled outdoor bathroom breaks have been much easier with less people around.... :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:
The roads are very empty and it's been amazing, except for speeding abusers in the city.

Ironically, this morning on Newstalk 1010, they were talking about the number of speeding tickets has increased, and one commentator mentioned he has seen more people running stop signs and red lights.

The speeding I get. That is people who normally speed, but now with less traffic are MUCH more noticeable, and likely higher speeds.

Running red light or stop sign is VERY risky, at the best of times

I’m a member of a local car club and many want to get out for a drive etc. The club itself can’t organize any runs or meetings. We are keeping in touch via video chat/conf calls, emails, chat groups etc.

But, it’s tempting to meet up with a friend or two and go for a drive.

And I have gone on a few drives when the sun it out and the top down. But, I haven’t met up with any of the others or attempted to.

I gotta tell you, it helps getting out of the house and take in some roads less travelled. via car or bike.

Might be shunned upon but, I’m still risking it for my sanity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My only concern with better weather, and more riders getting out, they might start to congregate and hangout at the various locations around the city. Right now I think we are flying under the radar but if **** like that starts, it might get someones attention.

My only concern with better weather, and more riders getting out, they might start to congregate and hangout at the various locations around the city. Right now I think we are flying under the radar but if **** like that starts, it might get someones attention.
Maybe a few more thousand bodies piled up will get a lockdown. Is not real enough for most people yet. All they are exposed to is social media and empty streets.

Something for everyone to keep in mind if they're out riding, or even driving - public bathrooms are becoming extremely hard to come by.
If you're not sure how to handle this, take a dog for a walk. They will teach you.

Ironically, this morning on Newstalk 1010, they were talking about the number of speeding tickets has increased, and one commentator mentioned he has seen more people running stop signs and red lights.

The speeding I get. That is people who normally speed, but now with less traffic are MUCH more noticeable, and likely higher speeds.

Running red light or stop sign is VERY risky, at the best of times
Can't speak for other areas but the region of Toronto has been abysmal over the last 3 years. Drivers piling into red lights to complete turns and then you lose half or almost an entire advance green waiting for the cars to clear. Stop signs? We have those still? Could have fooled me the way people just casually jaunter through 4 way stops at 15km/hr and slam on the brakes and give you the finger if you had right of way.

I understand police resources are constantly being cycled etc but honestly, the people who enforce these things in the city/province should be ashamed. My real concern here is that we're creating a habit which is going to be a real ***** to revert down the road.

If your a truck driver broker and want your rates to go up now would be the time to strike
bring everything to a halt and get your rates up to where they should be for you
oh by the way I drive truck myself but i'm a company driver I'm paid loaded empty moving down the highway or sitting in a parking lot

Seems many people can't see the forest for the trees. The chance of being infected with covid (at the time of writing this) is 0.03% and the fatality rate is give or take 3% of those infected. So about 0.001% chance of death from covid. SOURCE
The plague infected and killed about 50% of the population and human filth was a direct cause of it. So truckers aren't allowed to use restrooms to prevent the deaths of 0.001% of the population, but risking something that has killed 50% is the answer? I understand that the plague was bacterial and that there are antibiotics to cure it, but bacteria change at epic rates, and are getting more resistant to antibiotics.
Truckers should use the restroom before unloading (the trailer). If the place won't let them use the restroom, don't unload (the trailer).

If you're not sure how to handle this, take a dog for a walk. They will teach you.
Sorry, I don't think I'd do well walking around and sniffing others' butts during the pandemic.

Back
Top Bottom