Crashed.. now bike drifts to right | GTAMotorcycle.com

Crashed.. now bike drifts to right

Hi there,

I went down a few weeks ago on gravel. It was very low speed, maybe 40km/h (if that).

I fell on the right side, and the front handle bars where pulled completely (locked) to the right as the bike hit the ground.

At first, I thought the damage was mostly cosmetic (scratched plastics), but I noticed that the bike is drifting slightly to the right when the bars are pointed straight.

Could it be that the steering column is bent? The crash was strong enough to break the rightside mirror, front fairing, and the fairing cowl underneath.

Any idea what it could be, and how much it will be to fix?

Thank you.

id say check the wheels. First thing is to balance and tru the rims and tires after any crash. You may have bent the rim or have unbalanced tires.
Just cause it was a slow crash and it doesnt seem too harsh of a ride. But dont be surprised if other parts need fixing/replacing

If you dont know what to do, just take it into a shop and get it checked professionally.

Its not really expensive to do; it is usually the labour that will cost more. (about an hour at most if nothing big is damaged)
then the costs of replacement parts is added if necessary.

forks twist in triples..
Bar hits ground and turns forks to right...untill tab on lower triple hits steering stop...then lower triple cannot move anymore...but top triple is still being forced more to the right by handlebar hitting ground. This results in upper triple being twisted more to the right than the lower one. It happens often and easily. Loosen verything up, and straighten it all out. Re tighten and it'll be fine.

forks twist in triples..
Bar hits ground and turns forks to right...untill tab on lower triple hits steering stop...then lower triple cannot move anymore...but top triple is still being forced more to the right by handlebar hitting ground. This results in upper triple being twisted more to the right than the lower one. It happens often and easily. Loosen verything up, and straighten it all out. Re tighten and it'll be fine.

If that doesent work, I would suggest taking off your forks completely and see if one or both are bent. Really easy to tell when the forks are off.

If you coast with no input on the bars does the bike still pull? If so I'd be looking at the *** end. Also loosen the front up anyways as stated above. Even if you can't see any visual tweaks.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I tried riding it without holding the handlebars and it still pulls to the right. It is very slight, but it is there.

I think I'm going to take it to a shop to get it checked out. Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom