CR Bike Reliability Report | GTAMotorcycle.com

CR Bike Reliability Report

CafeRay

The new Consumer Reports Motorcycle reliability report data has been posted, this time it was much bigger with over 12,000 responses from 11,000 riders.

In terms of owner satisfaction, the ranks were:

1. Victory (notable high ratings for handling)
2. Harley Davidson (notable high ratings for handling)
3. Honda
4. BMW
5. Can-am
6. Ducati
7. Yamaha (dinged for comfort)
8. Triumph (dinged for comfort)
9. Kawasaki (dinged for comfort)
10. Suzuki (dinged for comfort)

High cost of maintenance was flagged by owners for Harley, BMW, Can-am and Ducati.

In terms of brand reliability: percent repairs and serious problems, as reported by owners:

1. Yamaha 11%
2. Suzuki 12%
3. Honda 13%
4. Kawasaki 15%
5. Victory 17%
6. Harley Davidson 26%
7. Triumph 29%
8. Ducati 33%
9. BMW 40%
10. Can-am 42%

So this is strange, there is almost an inverse correlation between satisfaction and reliability. Apparently to reach high customer satisfaction, you need a comfortable bike that breaks a lot.

Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda and Kawasaki are among the more reliable motorcycle brands. Conversely, Triumph, Ducati, BMW and Can-Am are among the more repair-prone brands. That's what we found based on the feedback of more than 11,000 subscribers reporting on over 12,300 motorcycles purchased new between 2008 and 2014. The graph shows the percentage of motorcycles from each brand that we predict will need a repair by the fourth year of ownership. Our statistical model estimates failure rates for 4-year-old motorcycles not covered by a service contract and adjusts for mileage driven over a 12-month period. The mean annual mileage is around 3,800 among all motorcycles included in this analysis. Differences of fewer than 10 points between brands are not meaningful. Note that models within a brand may vary, and design or manufacture changes may affect future reliability. Still, choosing a brand with a good repair estimate can improve your odds of getting a reliable motorcycle.

So owners of the cruisers are more happy because of comfort and the sport/sport tourers were not because they are not made to be like a couch. I would like to see the data on repairs based on mileage as I am sure some of the cruisers have far less miles on them in the 4 years of ownership than some of the non cruisers which would justify higher repair costs just because they are ridden more.

The mean annual mileage of 3,800 miles (6115 km) is not much!

So owners of the cruisers are more happy because of comfort and the sport/sport tourers were not because they are not made to be like a couch. I would like to see the data on repairs based on mileage as I am sure some of the cruisers have far less miles on them in the 4 years of ownership than some of the non cruisers which would justify higher repair costs just because they are ridden more.

The mean annual mileage of 3,800 miles (6115 km) is not much!

They adjust data for mileage, but 6,000km average is higher that the typical bike in Ontario.

The Japanese brands are all bikes, including their tourers and cruisers. There is a huge variability for this reason in satisfaction.

But, breaking is breaking. A more objective number.

Last edited:
I've seen Honda go out of its way with some older bikes. #3 in both rankings.

Perhaps Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki consider theirs to be more "disposable"?

Interesting that Victory is right at the heels of the Japanese brands. I am kind of surprised by how poorly Triumph fared considering how long that parallel twin has been in production. Is there a particular engine or model dragging down their reliability.

I've seen Honda go out of its way with some older bikes. #3 in both rankings.

Perhaps Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki consider theirs to be more "disposable"?

Go outside of the Japanese brands, and fail rates double (triple). I doubt 11,12,13 or 15% is any real difference.

Good on Victory passing BMW and Harley despite being the relative new guys on the block.

Interesting that Victory is right at the heels of the Japanese brands. I am kind of surprised by how poorly Triumph fared considering how long that parallel twin has been in production. Is there a particular engine or model dragging down their reliability.

No individual model data, not enough responses.

The percentage of Can-Am owners writing in with problems is pretty high!

That's very interesting. I'll have to pick up a copy of CR this month. I like their car issue also. They don't always factor in the reasons a vehicle sells well in spite of a bad frequency of repair record. Things like easy of maintenance and parts availability escape them. I do all my own work so as long as I have cheap parts access I'm happy.

I will be interested to see if Indian ranks anywhere near Victory in terms of reliability. I am a fan of the new Scout.

That's very interesting. I'll have to pick up a copy of CR this month. I like their car issue also. They don't always factor in the reasons a vehicle sells well in spite of a bad frequency of repair record. Things like easy of maintenance and parts availability escape them. I do all my own work so as long as I have cheap parts access I'm happy.

That's basically it what you see there, I have an online subscription.

How did the cruisers beat sport bikes for handling?

Lower expectations

Inexperienced riders. They buy a cruiser, and then rave about the "power, handling, and brakes". No real clue...

I think their definition of handling is more like "ease of handling". Sport bikes generally cut better corners, are more quick ratio on steering and have highly responsive brakes but that doesn't make them easy to handle, particularly with the horrendous riding position.

Its what the owners report on a survey, so it really just highlights culture and loyalty.

0.jpg

Dat ankle.....

Though I've seen the video, he just walks away with a smile

Back
Top Bottom