COVID19 and Motorcycle shopping | GTAMotorcycle.com

COVID19 and Motorcycle shopping

kruzuki

A bit of a rant:

I’m currently shopping for a new bike.
I had the day off today so I stopped at a local dealership. The sign on the door said they are showing bikes by appointment with a salesperson only and customers have to wear PPE in the store. So I phoned from the parking lot and they weren’t busy so I went in. They were generous enough to supply masks and gloves at the door.
Ok, I have no problem with all this. A business has a right to protect itself and I’m all for that and protecting myself as well, especially where people are touching things. I know it’s not business as usual.

BUT, the receptionist, the parts guy who walked past me while I was in the foyer, and the salesman sitting at his desk were not wearing any PPE at all.

I pointed that out to the receptionist who mumbled something about ‘protocol’. I simply said “That’s dangerous” and walked out the door.
Don’t people get it?
I’ll buy somewhere else.

A bit of a rant:

I’m currently shopping for a new bike.
I had the day off today so I stopped at a local dealership. The sign on the door said they are showing bikes by appointment with a salesperson only and customers have to wear PPE in the store. So I phoned from the parking lot and they weren’t busy so I went in. They were generous enough to supply masks and gloves at the door.
Ok, I have no problem with all this. A business has a right to protect itself and I’m all for that and protecting myself as well, especially where people are touching things. I know it’s not business as usual.

BUT, the receptionist, the parts guy who walked past me while I was in the foyer, and the salesman sitting at his desk were not wearing any PPE at all.

I pointed that out to the receptionist who mumbled something about ‘protocol’. I simply said “That’s dangerous” and walked out the door.
Don’t people get it?
I’ll buy somewhere else.
What workplace has all of the staff wearing masks? Outside of healthcare, I haven't seen one yet. Basically if someone gets it, the workplace gets shut for two weeks (or cleaning/staff testing to speed it up a bit)

Currently employers are not required to make staff wear PPE. Fine. Don’t. But I ain’t shopping there for now.

I went to the LCBO afterward and all staff on the floor wear PPE. Plus many other stores I’ve been to.
I’m just pointing out the logic of their protocol is foolish. I’m more than happy to follow their request and modify my shopping experience so I can shop in their store. Show me the same respect as a customer.

Hey, I’m a live customer with money to spend. I’ll spend it where I choose.

Currently employers are not required to make staff wear PPE. Fine. Don’t. But I ain’t shopping there for now.

I went to the LCBO afterward and all staff on the floor wear PPE. Plus many other stores I’ve been to.
I’m just pointing out the logic of their protocol is foolish.
Almost everything PPE related to Covid is foolish. Retail is exposed to tons of people so they try and minimize the public infecting them, but very little is done to protect the public from the workers nor to protect the public from each other. The cashier wears gloves but only changes them every how long? I have never seen one change gloves so probably something like hours to the whole day on one set of gloves. That just means that everything gets transferred from customer to customer for hours at a minimum. As for masks, fit sucks and half the employees I see are covering mouth only or have it under their chin entirely. If you aren't going to take it seriously you only make the tiniest improvement but you may feel you have the moral high ground.

If this was something like Ebola with a longer incubation, we would be wiped out by now. 99% of the protocols are well meaning but only slightly better than a show.

I agree with everything you said. Gloves are stupid, I still touch my face. We all do, all the time. You can’t help it. Masks are 99% bull crap, useless, false security. I have a beard. I’m not shaving it so a mask works better just to appease you.

Don’t tell me to do something to protect yourself but not take the same actions to protect me. It’s hypocritical.

This would have been the first time I put on a mask or gloves. I work front line social services. I’ve been out working in the thick of this the entire time and no one in my office wears PPE, we keep our distance.

My employer is requiring all staff on the main floor (where clients have access to) to wear face masks, gloves optional unless we need to touch a client's car, which are supplied to us. All clients entering are screened then offered masks and gloves, but are not required to wear them at this point. Most do, though.

I have to agree, it's mostly smoke and mirrors but if it helps protect in the slightest I continue to wear the mask. Sadly, I've had enough of my longish beard and the mask so I've trimmed it down to get a better fit.

The only one that bothers me (even outside of Covid19) is when someone handles money and doesn't wash their hands after.
I know where those five have been!

.........I know where those five have been!

I havent had a 5'er dance for decades. What secret hole do you go to get those?????

Asking for a friend.

I havent had a 5'er dance for decades. What secret hole do you go to get those?????

Asking for a friend.
Well, it's been decades for me too. When they start looking younger than your daughters, you know it's time.
Places i remember? The Shield and Sword in Brampton, the Ganny in Port Hope and the good old Bridgeport Ballett in Waterloo. Lol.

Perhaps the business pre-screens its employees in manners you aren't aware of.

Mine has installed temperature cameras and funnels employees through one entrance when they clock in. Currently masks are only required in the bathroom/locker room areas and cafeteria where you have the most people with the least amount of room. Kitchenettes etc are 1 person only.

Visitors have been restricted to business critical only, everything else is done over email or Zoom. Anyone who visits gets temperature checked and must wear a mask, i believe gloves are optional.

EDIT: in thinking about it perhaps they did it for the image, guests may not want to be greeted by a sales guy in a Hazmat suit.

EDIT: in thinking about it perhaps they did it for the image, guests may not want to be greeted by a sales guy in a Hazmat suit.

If they do take precautions, they should post them for customers to see and they would have said something to me when I showed concern. They didn’t.

All things considered, I’d feel safer at this time if they were wearing something. I expect it and would not be surprised. As I said, none of the staff I saw were wearing PPE. Not just the sales guy.

I agree with everything you said. Gloves are stupid, I still touch my face. We all do, all the time. You can’t help it. Masks are 99% bull crap, useless, false security. I have a beard. I’m not shaving it so a mask works better just to appease you.

Don’t tell me to do something to protect yourself but not take the same actions to protect me. It’s hypocritical.

This would have been the first time I put on a mask or gloves. I work front line social services. I’ve been out working in the thick of this the entire time and no one in my office wears PPE, we keep our distance.

That is why they want you to wear a mask....so that you don't give it to them. If you think masks are 99% bull crap.....then you should run the show for the dealerships you go into. I get the hypocritical part. But wearing a mask for 15 minutes isn't a big deal is it?

I'm still amazed at people who think masks are a "waste of time".

Yes, anything short of a properly fit N95 isn't going to protect YOU if someone sneezes in your face or something. Got a beard or haven't checked it for air leakage? Gonna be a waste for SELF protection. A surgical or fabric mask isn't going to do a whole lot to protect you from others either.

But any mask that provides a barrier, being it a home made fabric mask or loose/improperly fit (but still covering your nose and mouth) N95 is going to protect OTHERS if you're an unknowingly positive asymptomatic carrier. That's what masks are all about.

Now, if everyone wears a mask to protect others (not themselves) when in close quarters (inside buildings, etc) or where social distancing is a challenge (or impossible) to maintain, suddenly we have a very effective system of preventing spread.

People need to grasp this.

Last edited:
My employer is requiring all staff on the main floor (where clients have access to) to wear face masks, gloves optional unless we need to touch a client's car, which are supplied to us. All clients entering are screened then offered masks and gloves, but are not required to wear them at this point. Most do, though.

I have to agree, it's mostly smoke and mirrors but if it helps protect in the slightest I continue to wear the mask. Sadly, I've had enough of my longish beard and the mask so I've trimmed it down to get a better fit.

We are lucky our shop is air conditioned, just wait for the humidity to show up later this summer and see how long non a/c shops still adopt their techs to wear masks. Our dealership gives everyone a mask a day to wear, and unlimited amount of gloves and hand sanitizer. It's expected for customers when they come into our world to at least wear the same protection(we provide if they don't have).

as a person who has actually worked in a biohazard microbiology lab with germs, I think touch with your hands is more dangerous than a person w/o a mask and no cough. hands touch everywhere...they are adept at spreading germs. only my opinion.

That is why they want you to wear a mask....so that you don't give it to them. If you think masks are 99% bull crap.....then you should run the show for the dealerships you go into. I get the hypocritical part. But wearing a mask for 15 minutes isn't a big deal is it?
As I said in my original post, I have no problem wearing a mask into the store while I shop. But I expect them to be wearing them too. They are dealing with the public and who knows what they’ve been exposed to all day.

My office is closed to the public. We sanitize all the time and physically distance ourselves at half-staff capacity.

And when I say masks are bull crap I’m meaning from the perspective that most masks people wear aren’t the correct type to stop viruses and they are often worn incorrectly. Not that people shouldn’t wear them.

Last edited:
I'm still amazed at people who think masks are a "waste of time".

Yes, anything short of a properly fit N95 isn't going to protect YOU if someone sneezes in your face or something. Got a beard or haven't checked it for air leakage? Gonna be a waste for SELF protection. A surgical or fabric mask isn't going to do a whole lot to protect you from others either.

But any mask that provides a barrier, being it a home made fabric mask or loose/improperly fit (but still covering your nose and mouth) N95 is going to protect OTHERS if you're an unknowingly positive asymptomatic carrier. That's what masks are all about.

Now, if everyone wears a mask to protect others (not themselves) when in close quarters (inside buildings, etc) or where social distancing is a challenge (or impossible) to maintain, suddenly we have a very effective system of preventing spread.

People need to grasp this.

This is good info.

We continue to be very selective when out shopping. If there are large crowds or lineups we just stay away and go another time. Go for 5 or 10 minutes after opening time and you miss the early bird lineup and just walk into a virtually deserted store. Wear a mask, keep your hands away from your face, sanitise hands when back at the car and wash hands thoroughly upon getting home. Every place we've been most employees were wearing masks, but sometimes not correctly.

Unfortunately, half of the shoppers everywhere are not wearing masks and these people are the main reason, I think, for the still relatively high rate of infections in Ontario. As there are minimal travellers returning to Ontario at this time if everyone wore a mask for 4 - 6 weeks then the virus would be virtually eradicated.

Mine has installed temperature cameras and funnels employees through one entrance when they clock in. Currently masks are only required in the bathroom/locker room areas and cafeteria where you have the most people with the least amount of room. Kitchenettes etc are 1 person only.

Visitors have been restricted to business critical only, everything else is done over email or Zoom. Anyone who visits gets temperature checked and must wear a mask, i believe gloves are optional.

Ironically my workplace requires masks and the only place it's not mandatory is the locker area, washrooms and lunchroom.
I lost my mind at this.
In the work floor it is easier to social distance.
The dummies I work with think there's a magical barrier once you enter the lunchroom that covid cannot penetrate.
Then the amount of people that toss their mask before they leave, passing a ton of people.

Damn. I hate people

So yeah, I think even the corps are doing it for show. Or else they would make masks mandatory from entrance until exit.

**They also take our temp as we enter the building.

I have no problem using the ppe.
I wear it if I have to go out.
To me, this will be the new norm.

And to the point of closing businesses and disinfecting....that only happens if it's a confirmed cases.
I guaran-damn-tee you that some companies send their "suspected" covid + cases home, and don't bother asking for a covid test result.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom