Couple Questions About Fixing Fairings | GTAMotorcycle.com

Couple Questions About Fixing Fairings

I have a 1989 VTR 250 that needs a bit of help.

I wanted to buy some touch-up paint and I have the paint code [Honda NH196 Ross White] but I cant seem to find anywhere to buy it locally. I'm planning to use ABS cement to repair the minor damage on the fairings but I can't seem to find any ABS cement that dries white at Home Depot / Canadian Tire.

Appreciate any advice / tips on this!

i'd plan on painting the cement. scuff it up well.
sweet ride!

ABS cement does not dry white. I've had somewhat decent luck by mixing up my own "ABS cement" using acetone and a piece of a busted-up fairing from any motorcycle (they all use similar resin compounds). It will probably be black, and you will have to paint it.

The ABS solvent cement that is meant for gluing water pipes together, doesn't seem to work as well. It's probably meant for a different resin compound.

ABS cement does not dry white. I've had somewhat decent luck by mixing up my own "ABS cement" using acetone and a piece of a busted-up fairing from any motorcycle (they all use similar resin compounds). It will probably be black, and you will have to paint it.

The ABS solvent cement that is meant for gluing water pipes together, doesn't seem to work as well. It's probably meant for a different resin compound.

If nothing else cement in a can is designed for huge surface area, even thin film and little mechanical loading. A fairing repair doesnt meet any of those conditions.

OP, mad mike recently posted a good repair guide for fairings. Search for acetone and you should find it quickly.

Back
Top Bottom