Could Motorcycles become Too Quiet? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Could Motorcycles become Too Quiet?

Dude, I've never met you, but I've read many of your posts here. If I ever get into a verbal altercation at a bar, I want you on my side. :thumbup:

It would be like that bar scene in Good Will Hunting where he verbally destroys the d-bag with the ponytail "How do ya like them apples!?" ;)

On topic there was a recent movie called The Dilemma staring Vince Vaughan, Kevin James, Winonna Ryder and Queen Latifa. The movie is about how you would tell your best friend about his wife's affair. The characters in the movie struggle to handle the infidelity situation whilst participating in a race against time and competitors to develop an audio feedback system which makes an electric Dodge muscle car sound and feel like it's V8 gasoline counterpart.

[video=youtube;thSmYr9jsZk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thSmYr9jsZk[/video]

With electronically-generated noise, you have a lot more in the way of options to make your bike's "sound" uniquely your own.

You'll even be able to pipe it directly to personal earbuds at any volume you like so you can still get that loud effect without also forcing everyone else within several city blocks to also "appreciate" your bike's sound.

Some of us can't settle for a girl who fakes it.

With 8 different kinds of Vance and Hynes, plus all the other exhaust manufacturers , and dozens of air intake possibilities I don't need some nerdy doo-dad to pretend I'm riding a real motorcycle. I can get a sound that's "uniquely my own" without the pretending.

From a dirt bike perspective, I have to say the absence of engine sound is pretty good. Less people will complain about it, and we'll probably have more motocross tracks.

As the advancement of battery power improves from scooters to motorcycles, what do you think of the possibility of motorcycles travelling roads in relative silence?

I've read the back and forth on loud pipes which has been beaten to death. But, could bikes become too quiet?
I drove an electric forklift (fairly quiet) for a couple years for work, and it wasn't uncommon for the guys on the line that all knew better to set out in front of me as I drove... but I've seen this happen in factories where the forklift was engine powered.

Even if this IS implemented, it's only a matter of time before the sound is "tuned out" and we're back to square one. We have the senses that we need to stay safe, we just have to consistently use them.

Last edited:
I was thinking more from a safety stand point. Again, I'm not preaching loud pipes save lives here. But, I've been startled by cyclists, e-scooters and even some golf carts on occassion. Golf carts have been common hazzards recently while heading from the trailer to the water this summer. This is on public roads from the park to the beach. Also had a few close calls during the evening around the neighbourhood and downtown with e bikes and cyclists.

Combustion powered vehicles (With very quiet mufflers I will add) still emit some noise. Typically engine and/or tire noise. Sometimes, cooling fans. As a pedestrian, I can generally tell when a vehicle is approaching without having to see it. I can also hear engine noise from motorcycles. Sometimes even some drive line noise.

Anyways, appreciate the input.

Back
Top Bottom