Cost breakdown for track day ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cost breakdown for track day ?

Ghostrider619

I don’t know much about track days but how much am I looking to spend on one track day - Not including motorcycle and gear costs. Been wanting to do it at least once to get it off my bucket list.

You know what they say: If you have to ask ....

Just go for it.

So far from what I know Riders choice does $175 for shanonville track day and $75 to transport track bike. Just looking for more information from the experienced.

Depends if you want to do a track day or do a weekend track school (which is the general suggestion if you’re new to track riding). I’ve been pricing this out for next year and this is the rough budgeting I’ve come up with assuming you’re on your own bike and gear. You can track pretty much any bike but you will need a leather 1/2pc suit, gauntlet gloves, riding boots, etc. I don’ think there is any GTA organizer that lets you ride with textiles.

Riding school (e.g FAST) is $475/day. A normal track day is usually in the $150-200/day range.

Then you need to track prep your bike. Requirements vary but generally you will need to swap out your coolant for distilled water, tape up all mirrors/lenses, and possibly safety wire a few things like your oil plug + filter. Relatively simple but if you need to pay a mechanic to do this add another $100-$150 for labour. Also consider that most organizers have some sort of inspection process. Don’t plan to show up with a bike running bald tires, used up brake pads, and a wonky head bearing. You may also want to do a fresh oil change + brake bleed depending on how old the fluids are.

Then you need to get your bike to the track. U-Haul rents trailers for $15-$30/day if you don’t have access to a van or truck. Some people will ride to the track but if you end up crashing you are stranded, also you’re adding another 2-3 hours roundtrip of riding to get to most tracks around the GTA.

Besides that its just food and accommodations if you aren’t doing it as a day trip. Take into account that you will burn through your consumable parts much faster than on the street. Tires, brakes, fluids, etc. Don’t expect to still be doing a valve job every 42,000km if all that mileage is on the track.

Its not cheap but you can do it on a budget. Learn to do your own mechanical work, split a trailer / transportation with another person, etc. and it becomes more economical. Not crashing also helps keep costs down (suggested).

Depends if you want to do a track day or do a weekend track school (which is the general suggestion if you’re new to track riding). I’ve been pricing this out for next year and this is the rough budgeting I’ve come up with assuming you’re on your own bike and gear. You can track pretty much any bike but you will need a leather 1/2pc suit, gauntlet gloves, riding boots, etc. I don’ think there is any GTA organizer that lets you ride with textiles.

Riding school (e.g FAST) is $475/day. A normal track day is usually in the $150-200/day range.

Then you need to track prep your bike. Requirements vary but generally you will need to swap out your coolant for distilled water, tape up all mirrors/lenses, and possibly safety wire a few things like your oil plug + filter. Relatively simple but if you need to pay a mechanic to do this add another $100-$150 for labour. Also consider that most organizers have some sort of inspection process. Don’t plan to show up with a bike running bald tires, used up brake pads, and a wonky head bearing. You may also want to do a fresh oil change + brake bleed depending on how old the fluids are.

Then you need to get your bike to the track. U-Haul rents trailers for $15-$30/day if you don’t have access to a van or truck. Some people will ride to the track but if you end up crashing you are stranded, also you’re adding another 2-3 hours roundtrip of riding to get to most tracks around the GTA.

Besides that its just food and accommodations if you aren’t doing it as a day trip. Take into account that you will burn through your consumable parts much faster than on the street. Tires, brakes, fluids, etc. Don’t expect to still be doing a valve job every 42,000km if all that mileage is on the track.

Its not cheap but you can do it on a budget. Learn to do your own mechanical work, split a trailer / transportation with another person, etc. and it becomes more economical. Not crashing also helps keep costs down (suggested).

Thank you for detailed info. I will sign up for the track school for next season.

I usually got a 4 days out of a set of tires so about $100 for tires (1/4 cost of a new set), $30 for bike and genny fuel, $50 fuel in vehicle, $150-250 on track entry, lunch/bars/Redbulls. A day would end up costing between $400-500 and get really pricey if you crash ;)

I don’t know much about track days but how much am I looking to spend on one track day - Not including motorcycle and gear costs. Been wanting to do it at least once to get it off my bucket list.

personally, I would use a schools bike to start - what is the value of your bike?

A fat wallet is almost mandatory lol.

A new to td rider will learn more on a 300, than they will learn on a 600. imo.

check this out for a well prep'd track/race bike at a reasonable cost. Someone should check out this bike before its gone. yeah baby !

Last edited:
Good advice here

Unless you have a friend to introduce you to it all it can be cost prohibitive just getting the proper gear to be able to 'try it'

Best option is FAST and pay the premium to use their gear and bike to be able to decide if you get a thrill/enjoyment from it all.

After that come back here and seek counsel on options on how to do it more often and at minimal cost and exposure.

I would suggest buying a trailer and a tent if you plan on doing track days on a regular basis. If you have space to store a trailer, great! it definitely pays for itself in eliminating the u-haul rental fees.

about $140-180 track access (some track day providers allow you to pre-register in advance to save)
$40 - 60 gas, driving to-and-from track
$20 food. I pack a healthy lunch and bring lots of fluids to stay hydrated
$20 gas for your bike (a 600cc will use about 1 full tank or a bit more depending on your riding pace)
$5 painter's tape -if it's a street bike haha.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Cost of all this depends on how deeply you get addicted.

I've wanted to ride Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit in Australia since I first started following racing.

I just got back from two days on track there.

I don't care what it cost.

What no one has told you is that you'll end up saving your annual insurance premium because after the track, riding street kinda sucks.

What no one has told you is that you'll end up saving your annual insurance premium because after the track, riding street kinda sucks.

Going to guess a lot of TD riders also ride on the street

How much does that work out per lap? :unsure: more or less then 100$ per.
Depends on which lap you toss it into the weeds. Bogie is an awesome track, but it is notorious for red flags.

if want to trailer your bike.
cost of the hitch, the wiring harness, the ball mount (make sure if need a drop or rise), uhaual rental for the day (get the uhaul trailer the night before and return after the track day. 24hr rental is around $15 plus tax plus tailer insurance if you want
don't forget to change your coolant.
There is an intro to track days provided by Toronto Motorsport Park in Cayuga. Keep an eye out for the date next spring. Its half a day if I remember correctly and the cost was alot cheaper than other intro courses.
I was all ready this year but my work schedule and family vacation didn't match up with the track days.
2020 for sure!

Thank you for detailed info. I will sign up for the track school for next season.
For your first time that's probably the best idea. Racer5 gives you lessons, 3 days on the track, and gear for about $1300.

Once you complete their course, you can do their track days, using their track ready bikes, their tires and brakes for $370 -600 depending on the bike size.

Have been thinking about this myself - current bike (CB919) seems like it would be well suited to it, but I won't be too upset if it gets bent in half. However half of my gear is a bit ratty and wouldn't cut it for the track. I have a JR Speedmaster 5.0 2 pc but it is a bit aged, is getting gear inspected a thing? (I don't mean will it pass tech, I mean like... getting someone to assess/repair it)

Cost of all this depends on how deeply you get addicted.

I've wanted to ride Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit in Australia since I first started following racing.

I just got back from two days on track there.

I don't care what it cost.
Any pictures?

Back
Top Bottom