Corrosion protection comparison test | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Corrosion protection comparison test

Maybe a case from a computer you're about to scrap? It's not painted on the inside. I just gave all my old ones away..

Good idea, thanks. I have a bunch of old computer case slot covers somewhere, maybe I can use them. Otherwise, I'll just grab a case when I see one on the curb, people trow them out all the time.

Just found this thread and wanted to say that E.B. Peerless in Mississauga also sells ACF-50 aerosol by the can. Corrosion Authority will forward you along to them if you ask about buying a can or two.

If buying a whole case, it is much cheaper to go directly to Corrosion Authority. I use this stuff on my cars and was finding the aerosol cans don't go too far and are kind of expensive. I found that it is also sold in a 32 oz bottle that comes with a refillable pump spray bottle. Since EB doesn't stock this they would only sell me a whole case and would take a week to get it in.

I sent Corrosion Authority a message and the next week (about 3 business day later... there was a weekend in between) he delivered right to my work for free, the case was $40 less, and he threw in some free samples. Great person to deal with.

Just found this thread and wanted to say that E.B. Peerless in Mississauga also sells ACF-50 aerosol by the can. Corrosion Authority will forward you along to them if you ask about buying a can or two.

Great info, thanks. I'm still on my first aerosol can because I use it sparingly and a little goes a long way, plus I have a can of Boeshield too, but it's good to know I can just go and buy a can when I need it.

Great info, thanks. I'm still on my first aerosol can because I use it sparingly and a little goes a long way, plus I have a can of Boeshield too, but it's good to know I can just go and buy a can when I need it.
I'm probably over applying mine. I know it will definitely spread out a lot over time.

I'm probably over applying mine. I know it will definitely spread out a lot over time.

Well, it expands after application and is also pretty good in getting into all nooks and cranies by capillary action, so it takes some practice not to overdo it. However, there's no harm in applying too much except when it drips on the floor. It doesn't seem to harm anything it comes in contact with, including paint, plastic, rubber, electrical contacts...

Didn't read the whole thread but Aviall carries ACF-50. Around $10 a can in Nov 2010.

1840 Alstep Dr
Mississauga‎ Ontario‎ L5S
Canada

Didn't read the whole thread but Aviall carries ACF-50. Around $10 a can in Nov 2010.

1840 Alstep Dr
Mississauga‎ Ontario‎ L5S
Canada
That's a really low price. EB Peerless sells the 13oz aerosols for $16.95+tax. Even after a discount because I bought a whole case direct from Corrosion Authority the 32oz bottles cost me $29.50 each (including tax).

Can I rust proof my car using these or should I just stick with Krown?

I'm no expert on which is more effective but cars, bikes, and airplanes are all made of pretty similar materials so I use it on my cars.

I wonder how much I would need to cover the whole car, might end up being the same price if I just bring it to Krown

I think Krown-type rust protection is a different animal. Thicker, stickier and applied in places and in a manner unsuitable for DIY. Use ACF-50 or WD-40 for regular spot protection and leave the once-every-two-years all-surface coating to Krown. My 2 pennies.

Cool thread. I work in aviation so these products are always at my disposal. I use AV30 (dinitrol) under my car. It goes on thin then hardens up. It leaves a film that is hard to clean off so i use it in places where you won't see it. LPS 3 is a good one too and is easier to clean off. I use LPS 2 on all my control cables. ACF-50 is excellent product even to clean corrosion. Any Aircraft parts place will carry it. Aviall, Aerosupplies, EB Peerless are all near the airport.

Last edited:
AV30? Where can a regular Joe get his hands on that stuff? Any more details, like how does it work on already rusted parts, would also be appreciated. Thanks.

AV30 is made by Chemetall. Full name is Ardrox AV30. I believe it is very very expensive. The regular Joe would get it from Aviall. It sprays on thin, bubbles up and penetrates and dries tacky then hard. I wouldn't recommend for already rusted parts because it leaves a thick hard film when it dries completely. There are other 'AV' type sprays (AV8) which are thinner like WD40 or LPS2 which would be better for cleaning rusty parts first. If you're near Brampton I can give you some AV30 to try. You should wear a mask or stand upwind while using it though... it will coat your lungs!

Last edited:
That chemical sounds like an overkill, even from my perspective :). I's also apparently not a lubricant, so it won't be in the same category as the others tested and it's applicability on motorcycles would be severely reduced. Thanks for the offer though, I'll have you in mind if I decide to run another test. AV8 and LPS2 sound interesting too...

I've been using DuPont™ Teflon™ Multi-Use as my only chain lube for the past 50,000Km or so. I also use it for lubing stuff around the house. It will definitely be in the lineup if I do another test.

I was interested in some of the other ones as well like the Penetrant and the Snow and Ice prevention one. The Multi-Use leaves a fairly visible film on painted surfaces but I am also curious to see how it does. Might hold up decently as an under carriage spray since it creates a waxy seal.

Re: What S100 had to say

Interesting!!
I understand both sides of the issue.
A backyard test done with good intent and letting his buddies know what he observed and felt.... No harm done ????
A company offended by his findings since this was not under controlled materials and a controlled environment. Hell !! .. I would be mad if this was my product that I manufactured and some guy snubs it on the net!

Although I strongly feel that items 2 and 3 as described in the letter given to you are EXACTLY the same as what you did. Uncontrolled tests reported by bikers.
I would rather the company come back and prove S100 CP against the other competitors products in a salt spray booth with 3 identical motorcycles

If you want controlled tested products certified to a Military Specification (MIL-PRF-16173) you can easily purchase them. (LPS,RUSTVETO,AV30 etc)

Personally.... I am an engineer working on aircraft and would use aircraft grade corrosion protection when required. But on my bike and lungs FORGET IT!!! Especially when you can coat your bike in WD-40 for $2.00 worth and its good for the winter in an unheated damp garage!! That stuff is harmless to everything.!! Hell... Arthritic people apply it to their joints and claim it works LOL

Excellent reading about all this !! PS Vlad, do the test again with one more test specimen coated in diesel fuel!! Lets see who wins!
Cheers
Paul

Last edited:
Re: What S100 had to say

How about good old motor oil? I am sure that has some good protection qualities

Back
Top Bottom