Cool gadget | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cool gadget

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Didn't know where to put this but kinda cool for anyone camping - traveling light on mcycle or bicycle away from civilization

It appears that full production isn't there yet. Made in Nova Scotia for $500. I can hear Kevin the dragon saying get it made in China. The price and niche market could be problematic. I'm out.

I can see a use for a government remote weather station or the like but Justin would prefer far more expensive ones made by a college friend.

Charge phones, tablets, lights, cameras, and more with this small but mighty 40 W turbine. Power gear in real-time during the day or night, or rapidly store energy for later use with Shine’s internal 12,000 mAh Li-Ion battery.

It appears that full production isn't there yet. Made in Nova Scotia for $500. I can hear Kevin the dragon saying get it made in China. The price and niche market could be problematic. I'm out.

I can see a use for a government remote weather station or the like but Justin would prefer far more expensive ones made by a college friend.

Charge phones, tablets, lights, cameras, and more with this small but mighty 40 W turbine. Power gear in real-time during the day or night, or rapidly store energy for later use with Shine’s internal 12,000 mAh Li-Ion battery.
Battery capacity in mAh is either actively sketchy or they don't understand (which may be even worse). mAh without voltage means nothing.

Other than extracting money from wankers, I don't see a big upside to this. It's not cheap, although it is true that it could generate power at night, that still requires wind so you can't count on it. Honestly, if I am disconnected enough from the world that I can't charge devices, I would not be carrying this as I don't need much (or any) power and solar is more durable, can be gathering energy while moving and it's good enough. Maybe if you had a specific mission like eco-travel vlogger so you had lots of power hungry cameras. I wouldn't trust it on a permanent weather station, too fragile.

EDIT:
Still have the shipping deadline in November but haven't achieved CSA certification yet so product design may not be finalized yet along tooling up to make thousands of them. But don't worry they throw in a free anemometer to measure windspeed. Why they are including a wind speed measuring device with a device that could quite easily measure windspeed is a bit of a mystery. If it doesn't feel windy, don't bother setting it up. If they used the turbine to measure windspeed, they could easy set off an alarm if speed got too high and it needed you to take it down (or potentially self furl the blades but that would be a far more complicated design).

Last edited:
By comparison

and

Under $100 for the set

Last edited:
Bought one of these for six bucks. Will see if it works.
31r8V008HSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

By comparison

and

Under $100 for the set
Solar will be cheaper than wind, but no way in hell that is a 100w panel. 100 watts of solar will be in the ballpark of 4 sq ft. That one is in the ballpark of 0.5 sq ft so something like 10 watts or less. Not sure where the 100 comes from. Either it is complete fantasy/fraud or they focused an energy beam on the panel and saw 100 watts before it erupted in flames.

EDIT:
Yup. Confirmed by their own stats. 6 watts maximum. No idea where the 100 comes from.

• Power: 100W
  • Operating current: 0-1200mA
  • Operating voltage: 5.V

If you get 40 watts out of that thing you will be in awesome shape. What do they say it does? 5 watts? a few hours of cranking to charge a phone?
Prolly

Edit: Might use it to charge a battery and then use the battery to charge a phone if that lets me pace myself and still get it done.

Last edited:
If you get 40 watts out of that thing you will be in awesome shape. What do they say it does? 5 watts? a few hours of cranking to charge a phone?
We have one of those crank radios at the cottage (swag from an old conference) and sweet baby Jesus it's annoying.

Keep cranking for the flashlight to turn on for...2s...maybe? Totally useless.

Do you **** your pants and forget your name if you don't mention Justin in every post? Is it like a tick? It really takes away from anything you say even when I agree with it. Just put it in your signature FFS.

We have one of those crank radios at the cottage (swag from an old conference) and sweet baby Jesus it's annoying.

Keep cranking for the flashlight to turn on for...2s...maybe? Totally useless.
I had an early crank flashlight and yeah it took both hands holding and cranking it or the light went out. It sounded like an anemic siren as well.

I carried a newer technology Dorcy crank one in the Goldwing box. It had a battery and would hold a charge for a while. To keep the battery from turning into a small brick it has to be cranked every month or so.

Considering how cheap and compact the new stuff is now it's not worth it for most users.

Niche market products have volume production problems making them expensive, further cutting sales, a death spiral.

Back
Top Bottom