Contemplating a new ride for 2020. Suggestions? | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Contemplating a new ride for 2020. Suggestions?

There goes the butthurt.
No one's butthurt. You're just coming off as always making an excuse not to listen to the advice from current/former HD owners so therefor not looking interested in one.
It's only the start of February so Kijiji/etc selection is low. No reason you need to get one right now. Wait a few months and keep an eye to see if the right thing pops up or plant a price in the ear of one you like that's listed now (could very call you up after it keeps sitting another couple months unsold). You keep aying HD owners won't budge on price but I've seen lots come down after some time sitting (and life happens, whether it's a sudden home repair needed or their wife cracks up the car, etc). Giv'r time lad.

wish I hadn't participated in this thread
figured I'd end up on a Street Glide one day

then I get digging and find the engine
is 2 flywheels held together with the rod pin pressed in

is this all HD engines?
even my POS Jap cruiser has a one piece machined crank with single rod pin

Last edited:
No one's butthurt. You're just coming off as always making an excuse not to listen to the advice from current/former HD owners so therefor not looking interested in one.

Advice is one thing, but the "you just cant afford one" ******** along with the claims to just "not worry about it" does not jive with my idea of due diligence.

Due dilligence being key...because I do not want to end up like this guy.

While I've been doing that due diligence I came across another gem that will be haunting future owners of low mileage Milwaukee 8's decades from now - the now infamous "Sumping issues" with these engines. Engines failing catastrophically at 1200km because of a manufacturing defect that causes them to scavenge themselves right out of oil to the point the engine seizes is just inexcusable. Pretty funny watching the apologists saying "You're riding it wrong!" as a response as well. Check out that whole thread I just linked to - it's a good read.

So 15 years from now I could be looking at a HD again and be left starting at this issue wondering if it was fixed, or if that's another ticking time bomb scenario.

Anyhow, the more I've learned about the cam chain thing in the last month of searching the more I've realized that the whole thing is a potential can of worms that I'm reluctant to open, nor do I want a bike in which I have to partly tear open the engine every year or so to inspect it's internals.

Is this all a deciding factor? Yes, absolutely, nor will I be an apologist for a flawed design that can't even be permanently fixed (by installing gears vs the chain) on 100% of the bikes on the road (because of the runout issues) once and for all.

In the end...I wouldn't buy ANY motorcycle that isn't going to be reliable, no matter what the name on the side, yes, including a metric.

You keep aying HD owners won't budge on price but I've seen lots come down after some time sitting (and life happens, whether it's a sudden home repair needed or their wife cracks up the car, etc). Giv'r time lad.

Reality is we're on the edge of price increase season for bikes, not decreases. The reason I'm selling my bike now and buying a replacement is because I don't want to deal with it once riding season is here - I want to be riding, not dealing with endless Kijijji window shoppers when it comes time to sell my bike, & nor paying *more* for my next bike because the owner knows as soon as the first warm day arrives everyones mind turns to 2 wheels again. I got a heck of a deal on what I'm pretty confident will be my new ride because this same situation - the market hasn't picked up quite yet, buyer needs to sell bike to pay for new one, etc.

Last edited:
Keeping us in suspense.... What is the new ride?

Keeping us in suspense.... What is the new ride?

I'm not counting my chickens until they hatch. Should be able to share some photos tomorrow once the deposit is on it and the paperwork is signed. ;)

I'm not counting my chickens until they hatch. Should be able to share some photos tomorrow once the deposit is on it and the paperwork is signed. ;)
Didn't you get burned by a GTAM member scooping a Volt you were interested in? Post pics when you can.

Didn't you get burned by a GTAM member scooping a Volt you were interested in? Post pics when you can.

Yep, al the more reason I'm not posting SQUAT about it until my name is on it...because when I shared too much info about the Volt here after doing a ton of due diligence on it and posting the results here along with the price...someone (perhaps not coincidentally) raced to try to buy it out from under me.

Even posting a picture here will lead back to the ads posted online for those savvy enough to know how to search for something that way. ;)

I got $20 on a Grom with a side car.

LOL. Sounds like fun actually as long as nobody sees you actually riding it. ;)

Anyhow, on second thought... I'll let the secret out of the bag. I bought a Harley. Here's a pic.

Yep, al the more reason I'm not posting SQUAT about it until my name is on it...because when I shared too much info about the Volt here after doing a ton of due diligence on it and posting the results here along with the price...someone (perhaps not coincidentally) raced to try to buy it out from under me.

Even posting a picture here will lead back to the ads posted online for those savvy enough to know how to search for something that way. ;)

LOL. Sounds like fun actually as long as nobody sees you actually riding it. ;)

Anyhow, on second thought... I'll let the secret out of the bag. I bought a Harley. Here's a pic.
Blech. I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Due dilligence being key...because I do not want to end up like this guy.

While I've been doing that due diligence I came across another gem that will be haunting future owners of low mileage Milwaukee 8's decades from now - the now infamous "Sumping issues" with these engines. Engines failing catastrophically at 1200km because of a manufacturing defect that causes them to scavenge themselves right out of oil to the point the engine seizes is just inexcusable. Pretty funny watching the apologists saying "You're riding it wrong!" as a response as well. Check out that whole thread I just linked to - it's a good read.
Both those links the two owners seem like idiots. You can keep finding references to support your passive aggressive stance towards HD's and riders, and not owning one, all you like. There are plenty of other HD riders with nothing but great experiences. ?‍♂️

Both those links the two owners seem like idiots. You can keep finding references to support your passive aggressive stance towards HD's and riders, and not owning one, all you like. There are plenty of other HD riders with nothing but great experiences.

I agree.
There are many many happy Harley owners and they seem just as good from a reliability stand point as most other manufacturers.
I’ve ridden a couple of Harley’s a few years ago and don’t like them because they don’t suit my needs or what I’m looking for in a bike. They can’t make everyone happy, but that’s no reason to hate on the brand under the guise of reliability issues or for some random reason that you read on some obscure forum somewhere on the internet.
To each their own. Just be honest about your reasons for not liking a brand and don’t belittle people for liking something that you don’t.
It’ll be a much nicer world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both those links the two owners seem like idiots. You can keep finding references to support your passive aggressive stance towards HD's and riders, and not owning one, all you like. There are plenty of other HD riders with nothing but great experiences. ?‍♂️

Now that they are making the lowrider S again, there is hope I will be able to pick one up down the road used for a bargain :)
Only harley to really make me giggle

Also looking forward to test riding the new lineup this year, havent ridden the new softail platform

I remember when you joined and you only rode a HD because it was what you liked, which is cool. Now you've joined the fanatical apologist club. Disappointed.

Anyhow, I'm done with the HD pissing match. I'm making purchasing decisions based on facts and realities, not hopes and prayers. If I don't feel like I can reliably hop on a bike and ride it to the west coast and back without having to worry about something major mechanical stranding me, like I said, whatever name is on the side of the bike, it ain't for me.

On another note, my VTX is officially sold and is on a trailer headed to Barrie with it's new owner. I can't say I'm not a little sad.

I agree with this too.

HD is the most popular cruiser by a wide margin -- even with dependability challenges you can't fool everybody. HD have more sales than all other MC makers combined in North America. Pretty good considering their sales are highly concentrated in the heavy cruiser segment - they do not participate in Standard, ADV, Dual Sport, Motocross, Sport Touring, or SuperSport classes. Yes, they outsell all those makes operating in all those classes combined.

I have said this before, they don't make a bike that appeals to me, I'm neutral -- neither a fanboy or a hater. But I do respect the fact they make a product that's good enough to own the market and that a lot of riders place their trust in HD.

1581130385175.png
At the end of the day we all buy what we like. If maintenance and repair costs were a worry to everyone there would be a lot fewer HDs on the road and probably no BMW, KTM, Ducatis.

I go by the Law of Wood. Let the little head do the decision making on girlfriends and garage toys -- let the big head figure out the payment plan.

I'm starting to think that cheap bike you rode isn't the reason you were given the cold shoulder by Harley owners.

I have lots of friends I ride with who ride Harleys.

None of them would even contemplate making a statement about a fellow riders bike being "cheap". Because their not stuck up ********.

I have lots of friends I ride with who ride Harleys.

None of them would even contemplate making a statement about a fellow riders bike being "cheap". Because their not stuck up ********.

So you're telling me they're all good guys? But with the second face you wear here Harley guys are snobs? You're FOS.

I remember when you joined and you only rode a HD because it was what you liked, which is cool. Now you've joined the fanatical apologist club. Disappointed.
So I am part of your haters club because I called you out on your BS. Someone's got butthurt!
And keep your fake backhanded approval to yourself.

So you're telling me they're all good guys? But with the second face you wear here Harley guys are snobs? You're FOS.

Lots of great HD owners. I call quite a few close friends and riding buddies. Rode to Sturgis with one of them last summer for that matter.

IMG_0599.jpg

Lots of snobs as well. The ones probably like you who sit in the parking lot at the local Tim Hortons and sneer at the guys pulling in on metrics. Because they "Can't afford" a Harley. Come to think of it, there was lots of them at Sturgis too, sneering at me on my Metric dare having ventured into HarleyLandia on my "jap bike". Rode past a few thousand of them with their bikes on trailers on the way there.

I rode my bike to trailer week and gave zero fucks about what anyone else thinks about what I ride.

But as others have said and I'd agree with, there's snobs in lots of segments of riding, so sure, it's not exclusively a HD thing, but you guys sure seem to get your panties in a twist if a "jap bike owner" points out the any weaknesses in your brand of choice.

I'll post what I bought tomorrow and you can have a field day tearing my new jap bike to shreds.

In the meantime can we all fight about Android versus iPhone or something instead now?

Ummm think your security guy estimate is a bit optimistic - this was at 2017 and Harley has not had a thrilling sales performance the past 2 years.

motorcycles_ydabepa_0.png

Harley-Davidson reported the lowest quarterly sales since shares of the motorcycle leader started their long slide in 2014. December-quarter revenue from its motorcycle unit was 6% worse than Wall Street’s already pessimistic forecasts, while earnings fell short of expectations by 15%.

carry on :coffee:

Back
Top Bottom