Considering getting a Different bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Considering getting a Different bike

CriticalCore

Wow that was fast - only had the Fz07 for about a year, and the ninja 300 for 6 months.
I've liked the power boost on the Fz, the torque is exciting if not rarely usable going the speed limit.

With my renewal coming up in Sept, I don't expect a price drop, have gotten my full M but even then I'd like something less than 200 per month.
So far looked at an R3 or maybe ninja 400 if one can be found, but really I'd like something that I wouldn't mind dropping on a gravel or dirt road.

A dual sport or supermotto that can go on asphalt and off-road ideally, doesn't have to be suitable for long rides of 3+ hours. Live relatively close to Vos Motors so a Yamaha or Suzuki would be highly preferable, will hop on over there Saturday to sit on a few bikes, at worst I'll probably grab a 5+ year old 125 to gather some years for insurance.

Ah Height wise at 190 cm or 6 ft 3 I believe,

Looking for any recommendations on what would be suitable!

Last edited:
I just went from a ninja 300 to a cb500x (I'm 200, 6'2). I'm under 30 and have only been insured for 2 years. Paying $100 a month atm. My understanding is after 3 years of coverage and 30 is when prices drop for bigger bikes (500+ cc). I think there's really only 2 options for minor off roading and our size, cb vs versys 300. I picked the Honda mainly cause I didn't enjoy revving the crap out of the engine, Esp if you intend to put a slip on. Also the 'slight' power difference is really noticeable. Ninja had to bang down a gear or 2 to get from 100-120, whereas my cb pulls in sixth 100-140 easily. Just my 2 cent.

Does indeed look tall enough to be comfortable! A couple @ GP bikes I'll be able to sit on & check out, also a Honda ride event being in late August will possibly have a few to test out. Definitely ticks my boxes though, interesting how preferences changed so quickly to value comfort more. Wasn't considering long distance rides but on something like this I believe it'd be great.

Last edited:
If you are talking about the CB500x - yeah it can do distance - I did cross Canada this June ..500-880 km per day but I think it's too small for you.

KLR650 should be on your radar for fit and more capable off pavement ...cheap insurance.

If you are looking at cheap-cheap insurance, 250cc and under is where it's at. Most bikes won't complain about your weight, it's the height that will need accommodating, and for that the most important is inseam as that's the hardest and most expensive to alter on a bike.

Both Suzuki and Yamaha offer taller 'enduro' type bikes in the small cc market, the DRZ200 and XT225. Sure they are putt-puts and you're not going to be doing any highway touring. I'm 200lbs and can reliably hit 65MPH on my Suzuki 125, the 200cc+ bikes should hit 80MPH when pressed hard.

You can pickup low km bikes for $2500 and new ones for $4500+ tax. They hold their value well too, 3 year old bikes are fetching $3500.

Now, there is a tradeoff. These are not canyon carvers or touring bikes -- something you could do on an R3 or Ninja, You can hit the dirt, you can ride them like a motorcycle, and they are extremely cheap to operate and insure. My kids learned on similar bikes and (TW200), managing limited power and learning how to ride road and terrain (off road) made them better riders.

bmw f800gs

they've been making them for many years so if budget is a concern you should be able to find a cheap one.

The only problem I see with either the CB500X or the KLR650 for off-road is the curb weight :/ either one of them weighs more then my 3 cylinder sport bike so that can't be great. Low curb weight is what makes for a motorcycle that can go off-road. Anything can ride on a dirt road and if not that would make it pretty useless because it won't make it out of my driveway.

btw: Light weight motorcycles are expensive.

You should get something small with ABS, like a small Ninja or CBR, that needs a lot of shifting, and is difficult for beginners to ride on the highway.

Take it on the secondary roads, and learn the powerband well. The primary aims are to learn to ride, and to learn to ride safely.

Work it until you can ride it on the highway, and learn what type of riding you like. Use it to get your full M.

Then, look for a bike for the type of riding that you like.

You should get something small with ABS, like a small Ninja or CBR, that needs a lot of shifting, and is difficult for beginners to ride on the highway.
"only had the Fz07 for about a year, and the ninja 300 for 6 months" <- he already tried that, & so far the dirt bikes being recommended are heavier then either of the street bikes he has already owned.

Is the goal here changing your riding habits/style up or cheaper insurance? If insurance is the main reason, how much are you paying now? Ultimately after taking a loss on your FZ07 including the taxes you paid on it, now your going to go buy another bike again including taxes etc. Are you really going to end up saving much?

You have a great bike for this stage of your riding career. I'd think long and hard about it before making a switch.

Is the goal here changing your riding habits/style up or cheaper insurance? If insurance is the main reason, how much are you paying now? Ultimately after taking a loss on your FZ07 including the taxes you paid on it, now your going to go buy another bike again including taxes etc. Are you really going to end up saving much?

You have a great bike for this stage of your riding career. I'd think long and hard about it before making a switch.

Yes this is also an option lol, will gather a few Ins. quotes before going through with it. Different riding style & cheaper insurance ideally, $200 monthly till Sept now.

I think I know what the problem is, you really need 2 motorcycles and one of them needs to be an all out dirt bike.

I was impressed with Burgman. I thought Goldwing was a couch with a motor, but Burgman truly was.
The Burgman is a turd compared to the hi tech wing. Seriously?

An all out dirt bike will scratch that itch to ride something exciting and not cost you a fortune for insurance or risk your license, will make you a better street rider too.

such a child. :rolleyes:

••••

He's 6' 3" - he likely wants something that he actually fits. Africa Twin works but $$

At 6-3 he should be able to fit any full sized bike and make the dabs really count.

Back
Top Bottom