Condo Parking - Any Tips? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Condo Parking - Any Tips?

Kibosh3

Hey guys,

I'm going to be moving closer to downtown in the next couple months. The only problem that I have is trying to find a solution to my parking woes.
So far I've come up with a few ideas (some more feasible than others):

- Look for nearby public storage to park it instead
- Buy another parking spot underground and park a beater van large enough to accommodate bike in back.
- Build a box in the underground parking in front of my car to accommodate my bike

My bike's too pretty to have thieves not want to take it. And at Allen & Sheppard, it would only be a matter of time lol

Ask permission if you can drill/bolt a chain on the floor/wall if not then just make sure you're in good hands with your insurance.

put a Harley Davidson cover on it. No one will peek under the cover now.. lol!

Find a better place to live in Downtown. Tonnes of nice condo in downtown Toronto. At my buddy's place near the harbour front, his rents only $1,600 for a 700sqft place. The indoor parking has a bunch of Harleys, Ducatis and only one Jap bike, think it was an older R1.

Not sure what your ride is, but if other bikes around yours are similar or more expensive. I think I would feel quite secure parking it there.

I have a bachelor apt in North York (aka "the chick shack"), and my solution was FULL insurance. Funny, nobody seems to give a rats ***** over a Honda CB750 Nighthawk, so it's remained untouched until now. If I rode around on a SS, I probably would find a small storage locker (self storage) and suck up the $75-100 per month charge. The other solution is find a smaller building. The building I'm in only has 4 floors (about 50 apartments), and the underground fits about 20-25 cars. Simply less traffic and less people.

If your spot has a wall, park the bike behind the car if possible and get theft insurance.

heres a tip.

Dont do it ( or get full insurance )

Another vote for this. If you have one of the nicest bikes in the parking of a large downtown condo, it's just a matter of time. Doesn't matter if you chain it, or put an alarm, or cover it. My buddy had his brand new GSXR-600 stolen the spring after he got it and he had it secured with a chain that had links almost as thick as my index finger. Modern bolt cutters work really well.

So either come to terms with losing your bike and you get get full insurance, trade down to a less nice bike or find a place that's already full of Ducati 1199s, Hyabusas and BMW 100RRs. As we say in camping... "You don't need to be faster than the bear, you just need to be faster than the guy next to you"

Hey guys,

I'm going to be moving closer to downtown in the next couple months. The only problem that I have is trying to find a solution to my parking woes.
So far I've come up with a few ideas (some more feasible than others):

- Buy another parking spot underground and park a beater van large enough to accommodate bike in back.
- Build a box in the underground parking in front of my car to accommodate my bike

My bike's too pretty to have thieves not want to take it. And at Allen & Sheppard, it would only be a matter of time lol

Nearby storage will cost you just as much as renting another space and putting a beater van in it. I don't know if anyone here's actually followed through with doing that, so be the first :D

Any of the other options and they will still get to it. They are
relentless and will take it otherwise. Most thieves will actually stake you out for a week or two and get to know your scheduled before they take it like they did mine. I had an scorpio i900 alarm, chain, cover and they still took it.

While I don't live DT, I can sympathize with you folks.... (seems like a dangerous place to park) .... While nothing can save you or your bike, if someone has their eye on it .... I am a little surprised that considering the amount of money these Condo's cost, and the related parking spots.... nobody is demanding a state of the art surveillance system.... (Unless I am mistaken, and this already exists?)

BTW, having full insurance is definitely a good idea, but, make a claim on your lost ride, and watch your rates go sky high because of the claim, and, because "You live in a high risk area" It's a tough situation...

I'd think loading a bike out of a beater van every time you wanted to ride and then loading it back in, say, when you get home late at night after a long ride, or even worse, after a short ride, would be more of a PITA than any other solution.

Talk to the condo management beforehand and see what they are willing to accommodate by way of locks/chains/etc. Also make friends with the building security people so they know who you are and this will know if someone who is not you is messing with the bike should they see it.

Consider switching to a less desirable to thieves bike like a sport touring or super-moto or something. They are looking for stuff they can fence easily. I never worried about my Z750 in the parking garage and I don't worry about my Vulcan, neither are worth the effort to steal.

Back
Top Bottom