Concrete falling from Gardiner again | GTAMotorcycle.com

Concrete falling from Gardiner again

Seriously when are they gonna break this thing down?? I dont even want to imagine the traffic disaster for the 15 years they take to rebuild it.. It's like the 401 at yonge..seems like that job will NEVER be complete.

Seriously when are they gonna break this thing down?? I dont even want to imagine the traffic disaster for the 15 years they take to rebuild it.. It's like the 401 at yonge..seems like that job will NEVER be complete.

Never..

For those who ride on the Lakeshore, perhaps it's time to reconsider the route. It doesn't sound like these are huge pieces falling (not like Autoroute Ville Marie in Montreal) but likely big enough to seriously insure or kill a motorcyclist.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ling-from-gardiner-expressway/article4367929/

I don't really consider this news..

Its mentioned on the Toronto news at least a few times a year, despite regular inspections and controlled chipping away of weak spots. No financially feasible way to save this aging hulk. Time to raze this relic/eyesore and possibly consider a tunnel instead.

Time to raze this relic/eyesore and possibly consider a tunnel instead.

That's not really realistic.. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Dig I would expect them to explore some kind of option combining Lakeshore and additional lanes and maybe some below-grade roadway for noise abatement and sight lines. Realistically though, Toronto has little money to do anything but maintain what's there. It would be a lot cheaper to just replace the bridge deck on the current structure.

Well, I subscribe to the adage 'either pay me now or pay me a lot more later'. And this current configuration will be a money hole that just becomes worse.

If you ask me, the traffic nightmares down there and perpetual repairs/construction has put a huge curb on travelers & tourists visiting the waterfront area. This exodus of revenue has a huge spiral effect if not corrected (word has gotten out). Bite the bullet and make a tunnel..lets face it, at-the-surface roads aren't an option given current density in that area.

Well, I subscribe to the adage 'either pay me now or pay me a lot more later'. And this current configuration will be a money hole that just becomes worse.

If you ask me, the traffic nightmares down there and perpetual repairs/construction has put a huge curb on travelers & tourists visiting the waterfront area. This exodus of revenue has a huge spiral effect if not corrected (word has gotten out). Bite the bullet and make a tunnel..lets face it, at-the-surface roads aren't an option given current density in that area.

+1

But they should have started a tunnel or alternative route before they sold off all the adjacent land to condo developers. Now they have painted themselves into a corner and will end up shutting down the Gardener and Lakeshore to revamp the route. There is no longer a trench and fill tunnel option, but rather some deep tunneling machinery which is insanely expensive for this red tape tangled city. Whatever is going to happen will only happen when ongoing maintenance exceeds the cost of a full scale demo, traffic chaos and eventual acceptance of a toll based solution to fund it.

Either that or when law suits pile up.

as it was said:
timeframe
$$$ to be spent
quality of work

you can only have 2 of them at a time

Boston opted to bury their downtown highways. The project was called "The Big Dig". Take a look at how much it cost them and how long it took.

I don't know what the ultimate solution for the Gardiner is, but if Boston is any indication, any estimate of the cost of a tunnel and the length of time it takes to build needs to be multiplied by 10.

Boston opted to bury their downtown highways. The project was called "The Big Dig". Take a look at how much it cost them and how long it took.

I don't know what the ultimate solution for the Gardiner is, but if Boston is any indication, any estimate of the cost of a tunnel and the length of time it takes to build needs to be multiplied by 10.

All true.

But, I beleive the Boston experience provides potential for learning & improvement on future plans in other cities and was pretty much a worst-case for a lot of the things that can go wrong. Costs do come down as the processes and logistical issues are optimized, automated and improved.

Even locally, look at the Becky Project in NF for the hydro tunnels, lots of delays and cost over-runs there, and also not exactly the same scenario, being a hydro project and not a road, but the engineering expertise and workers have been brought into the area why not utilize their experience on another nearby project.

The Big Dig's ultimate cost is looking like $22 billion..and I think time will show it's a very flawed project and will require expensive maintenance. Honestly, it's a pipe-dream. The city can't conjure up $1 billion for a subway..where are they going to get $22 billion? The Gardiner may be ugly and a little embarassing..but for the cost, nothing will get done to replace it. I think the best they can do is replace the bridge deck or realign it with Lakeshore in some way.

This City is still focused on getting rid of cars.
They purposely try to make it more difficult and or more expensive for driving in the 416.
They want everyone to use the TTC. It's the same ideology from the 70's.

That means they will not spend any money on the Gardiner to make it easier for drivers.
The more traffic the better in their minds because ppl will use Go or the TTC.

Yet, we have more cars on the roads and still a crappy transit system.
What is the cost to take the TTC these days, $4 each way yet?

WOW! They say $30billion but it will be closer to $50 billion.
Well if this does happen I will be moving from the 416.
If they try this watch the Conservatives just gobble up more seats in the next election.

The other question to consider is what will the TTC fare be, $5 each way.

I remember when a TTC metro pass (unlimited use monthly) was $28.00. Seems like it was only about 20 or so years ago.

I have some aluminum TTC coins for the subway...does anyone know if they still work? They were bought about 20 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom