compression test on a 99 r6 help? | GTAMotorcycle.com

compression test on a 99 r6 help?

Simply.Smooth

to do a compression test do I unhook the gas tank , fuel lines , ignition coil & spark plug then hook up the gauge into the spark plug , hold the throttle open & crank the engine ?? Do i do it with the motor cold or hot ?

Cold engine, fuel supply disabled, ignition disabled, all spark plugs removed so that there is no compression in any cylinder other than the one being tested.

Hooking the bike up to a car battery may also be a good idea. After all that cranking the tiny bike battery will be weak.

What has been described, is industry-standard across the board. That's how it's done.

The booster battery might be needed only if your stock battery isn't very strong or isn't fully charged. Spinning the engine over with compression only on one cylinder doesn't take a lot of effort and isn't particularly demanding on the battery.

edit: Kawasaki recommends to do this with the engine warmed up. There are two problems with that. #1, if you are trying to diagnose why an engine won't run, you can't warm it up, because it won't run. #2, on the particular bike that I am looking up the service manual for, it takes 3 HOURS to gain access to the spark plugs! You might have started off with a warmed up engine, but by the time you finish stripping down the bike enough to gain access to the spark plugs, it won't be ... The R6 is no picnic for getting to the spark plugs, either ...

Last edited:
What has been described, is industry-standard across the board. That's how it's done.

The booster battery might be needed only if your stock battery isn't very strong or isn't fully charged. Spinning the engine over with compression only on one cylinder doesn't take a lot of effort and isn't particularly demanding on the battery.

Not according to the service manual I have. The manual also warns not to crank your starter for to long as you will overheat it. Testing his compression is not a big job. According to my SM 1/ Warm the bike up 2/ put the bike in neutral 3/ remove spark plug and insert compression gauge. For the other spark plugs disconnect the ignition wires. 4/ Twist your throttle to full and press the start button until the gauge is no longer increasing. 5/ Remove compression gauge, reinsert spark plug, do not attach ignition wire, move onto next spark plug.

The op can try your way but it's the opposite to what my sm says to do.

To the op, why are you checking compression??

The most effective test to check engine sealing is a leak down test.

Back
Top Bottom