Compressed air | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Compressed air

I have my compressor on a smartplug that I can control via any of my Alexa's anywhere in the house, including the garage. If I need air I just yell at Alexa to turn on the compressor and 30-45 seconds later I've got at least 40PSI ready to go which is fine for 75% of what I use my compressor for. For air tools and such, I can wait that extra few minutes for it to hit 110.

I would never leave it on - it's been my experience that a fully leak proof system does not truly exist and having the compressor come on in the middle of the night when our bedroom is directly over the garage isn't something my wife thinks highly of. Don't ask me how I know.

I don't think you are a typical use case for air compressors. I have no expectation for the tank to hold anything when I'm not using it. 24/7 on-demand compressed air for a residential setting is... unusual. The closest equivalent I can think would be a hospital compressed air system
My ~20 y/o 8 gallon compressor has been plugged in since day one. I never shut it off, except every couple yrs when I drain the moisture from the tank.
25' - 50' - 50' hoses all connected, all the time. Every threaded part / bit has teflon tape (as mentioned in a prior post....it's key).
It comes on maybe once every 9 months, if that.

if the comp is stationary
I'd suggest a wall mounted reel
and pipe thread connected whip hose from the comp to it
no quick couplers

quick couplers get worn and leaky when dragging the hose around the floor
only place you need one is where you connect the tool
change it when it leaks

I don't think you are a typical use case for air compressors. I have no expectation for the tank to hold anything when I'm not using it. 24/7 on-demand compressed air for a residential setting is... unusual. The closest equivalent I can think would be a hospital compressed air system

I have the CT Maximum 15 gal. unit similar to this, connected to a 50' hose reel. They don't leak, so far anyway.

Really no need for air on demand for me. If I'm working in the garage and will need air first thing I do is don ear muffs and then turn on the compressor. By the time I get my tire gauge, pull out the hose, check a few tires the compressor has built up enough pressure to use.

As an FYI, hospital medical grade oxygen comes from a bulk liquid O2 tank. Any small compressed air tanks you might see are typically used for patient transportation.

I was thinking the same thing - a no leak system of on demand 24/7 air maybe a bit of a pipe dream. That said maybe a ball valve prior to the quick con on the tank would extend the leak down time.

I was thinking the same thing - a no leak system of on demand 24/7 air maybe a bit of a pipe dream. That said maybe a ball valve prior to the quick con on the tank would extend the leak down time.
If you put a valve before any fittings, you should be down to one compressor run a year or less.

Back
Top Bottom