Commuting on a maxi-scooter - impressions so far | GTAMotorcycle.com

Commuting on a maxi-scooter - impressions so far

Priller

So after a long thread elsewhere where I hemmed and hawed about actually buying a scooter for my Hamilton to Etobicoke commute, I've now spent about a month and a half on the rubber banded dark side, and figured I'd share a few impressions for anyone thinking about doing the same...

First off, I went with a scooter for four primary reasons: fuel economy, comfort/weather protection, storage, and ease of use in traffic. No proper motorcycle could tick those boxes without some compromise without also being an NC700 or 750. I ended up with a very low mile 2007 Burgman 400, which wasn't quite as porky as the 650 version for urban cut and thrust, but still has lots of storage (70 litres including the glove box) and can handle highway speeds.

Here's a summary:

- The highway windblast is LOUD. L.O.U.D. I thought maybe the huge windscreen would be better than my Tuono, but I've never experienced so much wind noise, even after getting a Givi Airflow. On my Tuono, if I forget earplugs, it's not a big deal. On the Burgman, forgetting earplugs on the highway is a recipe for ringing ears for days. I'm terrible for forgetting to put earplugs in, but on the scooter, I will take a 10 minute detour to get them in rather than suffer the consequences. Nothing else can be heard, including the motor. If I set the screen at the top and then hunch right over, I can get into a quieter bubble, but it's not a practical solution for any length of time. Maybe it's worse because I'm 6'1" with a long torso, so others may not struggle as much...

- The flip side is good weather protection, which keeps me mostly dry even in heavy rain. I get a bit down the back of my neck, gloves get a bit soggy, along with the outside third of each pant leg. Otherwise, I stay surprisingly dry.

- Storage is incredible, with the trunk easily swallowing a full-face helmet, jacket, gloves, airbag vest with back protector and a laptop bag. After years of carting my gear around with me, it's such a luxury to pop it all in there and walk away with only the key and my wallet.

- Fuel economy is good but not great, probably as a product of my unwillingness to keep speeds down. I'm averaging about 3.8-4.2 l/100km, but that would come down a lot if I didn't spend big chunks on the highway at 120+. At those speeds the rpms are hovering just over 7000, which is a lot for a motor that redlines at 8500, so I'm going to try some heavier sliders to see if it helps.

- Speed is enough, but not much more. Merges and lane changes need to be planned differently, as the rubber band acceleration takes some time to kick in. Tops out around 150, I think, but you wouldn't want to spend too long there...

- Handling is fun, especially as the low CG makes direction changes easy. But the small wheels and suspension built for comfort, not speed, mean dragging hard parts comes fast. Does the job, though, and zipping through traffic is easy.

Overall, it's pretty good. The windblast is by far the biggest issue, and I might try the slightly longer (just over an inch) Givi fixed screen, but it's a relatively expensive gamble if it doesn't help. Otherwise, I'm hoping the 19 gram sliders will knock a few hundred rpm off at highway speeds, both to make things easier on the motor and to help mileage.

Most importantly, my commute is typically 20 minutes quicker each way. Between the HOV lane and generally being able to slip into gaps, it makes a huge difference at rush hour. I actually enjoy the back and forth of urban riding, so it's making the commute a lot less painful overall. Not literally, though, and I hope to keep it that way .. (knock on wood!)

You might try a deflector on the screen you have.
this works as long as you secure the adjusters with bolts. ( someone else has done it on here )
51NLPrdnJ8L._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Worked fine on the CBF1000 with the previous caveat.
Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at Jul, 22    2022    6.50.38 AM.jpg
Cheap fix...locktite blue might work as well.
I have a set of Oxford had muffs that I will sell when I get back for a few weeks in November... extend your riding season big time.
1658436925920.png
Have tried removing the lumbar support for more room?
There are some options

Last edited:
- The highway windblast is LOUD. L.O.U.D. I thought maybe the huge windscreen would be better than my Tuono, but I've never experienced so much wind noise, even after getting a Givi Airflow. On my Tuono, if I forget earplugs, it's not a big deal. On the Burgman, forgetting earplugs on the highway is a recipe for ringing ears for days. I'm terrible for forgetting to put earplugs in, but on the scooter, I will take a 10 minute detour to get them in rather than suffer the consequences. Nothing else can be heard, including the motor. If I set the screen at the top and then hunch right over, I can get into a quieter bubble, but it's not a practical solution for any length of time. Maybe it's worse because I'm 6'1" with a long torso, so others may not struggle as much...

Have you tried going the other way and cutting or removing your windscreen?

I used to have huge windscreens on my old bikes to solve the noise and buffeting issue till I figured out that having no windscreen and having a clean flow of air on the helmet is actually a better solution. Now all my bikes have no or low windscreens. Also, they look much better as well.

The only problem is you'll get more bugs splattered on your helmet and jacket...

Here's a sportscreen you can buy from Fortnine:

windshield-smoke-d3115s.jpg

I used to have huge windscreens on my old bikes to solve the noise and buffeting issue till I figured out that having no windscreen and having a clean flow of air on the helmet is actually a better solution. Now all my bikes have no or low windscreens. Also, they look much better as well.

The only problem is you'll get more bugs splattered on your helmet and jacket...

Here's a sportscreen you can buy from Fortnine:

windshield-smoke-d3115s.jpg

I was wondering the same thing. Going short instead of tall was how I fixed the noise on my FZ6. Cut about 4-6 inches off the top and dropped the blast from head to my torso.

You might try a deflector on the screen you have.
this works as long as you secure the adjusters with bolts. ( someone else has done it on here )
With the Airflow screen (see pic below), adding a deflector would make it three pieces, which would be asking a lot, I think. Maybe if I get the single-piece screen and it's still just a bit too short...

I have a set of Oxford had muffs that I will sell when I get back for a few weeks in November... extend your riding season big time.
Those or something similar are definitely next for the cold mornings...

Have tried removing the lumbar support for more room?
No need. The fully back position is about right, any more and I'll be leaning forward to the bars.

Believe me, I'm a short screen obsessive. The Tuono is actually a great example, as the flyscreen is perfect for directing windblast about into my sternum, with my head out in clean, quiet air. But I'm a lot closer to the screen on the Aprilia. I think the problem with the scooter is I'm simply too far back, and so dirty air is almost unavoidable. The Givi I have is actually adjustable, looks like this (fully extended):

1658444156653.png

I actually got it because I thought I could use the lower position to keep my head in clear air and the upper position to stay out of rain. But full up or full down makes almost no difference, despite being about 4-5" of adjustment. Full up does give me the edge of a bubble to hide behind if I sort of twist and crouch down like Quasimodo, but that lasts about 10 seconds before it really sucks. Plus, I look like an absolute weirdo.

What you have inspired me to do, though, is remove the top bit altogether and see how that works. It'll be about 3" lower than fully down, and maybe will help smooth the airflow at helmet height. May also help fuel economy, and look cooler.

The scooter I think looks coolest is the Honda Forza, but 300 was just a bit small for 120 on the QEW (plus the long and low look means storage space is much smaller). It comes standard with a hilariously small screen that I think looks fantastic. Hints of the red bike from Akira:

1658444909001.png

Also try removing the mirrors and going for a test ride. I was shocked at how much noise they contributed to my VStrom. Bar end mirrors are a cheap replacement that don't cause the roaring.

Also try removing the mirrors and going for a test ride. I was shocked at how much noise they contributed to my VStrom. Bar end mirrors are a cheap replacement that don't cause the roaring.

I really hope that's not it. The mirrors are legitimately amazing (keeping in mind I've spent most of my life on sportbikes with elbow inspectors), and incredibly useful when the highway gets dense with traffic. If it is, maybe I could find some that are more aerodynamic...

Reactions: Ash
I've owned a few (4) burgman 400, except for a short time on the first one all of them had a Laminar Lip installed, and for me the wind noise is less than without the lip. But, I'm 5'9" and less of my head would be exposed to the wind than with your head. As for sliders, I installed them on all of my Burgmans starting with my 08. Before doing the install I recorded the preformance of the Burgman before and after the install. I used 18 gram weights. As mentioned above 5'9" 175 lbs. I recorded the speed @ 5k rpm, 6k, and 7k. Difference at 5k +16 kph, at 6k +31 kph, at 7k +33 kph. Did the same testing with my 12 Burgman and results slightly better. I should see similar results given your larger mass when using 19 gram weights if you can find them. Check if your burgman had a recall notice for the rectifier. Had that replaced for free on my 08 and 12. The clutch design was changed after 07 to deal with dust build up which caused chattering on accelerating from a stop.

I've owned a few (4) burgman 400, except for a short time on the first one all of them had a Laminar Lip installed, and for me the wind noise is less than without the lip. But, I'm 5'9" and less of my head would be exposed to the wind than with your head. As for sliders, I installed them on all of my Burgmans starting with my 08. Before doing the install I recorded the preformance of the Burgman before and after the install. I used 18 gram weights. As mentioned above 5'9" 175 lbs. I recorded the speed @ 5k rpm, 6k, and 7k. Difference at 5k +16 kph, at 6k +31 kph, at 7k +33 kph. Did the same testing with my 12 Burgman and results slightly better. I should see similar results given your larger mass when using 19 gram weights if you can find them. Check if your burgman had a recall notice for the rectifier. Had that replaced for free on my 08 and 12. The clutch design was changed after 07 to deal with dust build up which caused chattering on accelerating from a stop.

Lots of good info! Thanks.

I'm doubting my choice of a 19 gram slider (should've gone 18, I think), but I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of holeshot in exchange for lower rpm at speed. For reference, I'm 100 lbs heavier than you, so the poor thing is working hard at launch. If I can drop over 500 rpm at ~120 true speed (~130-135 on the speedo), I'll be very happy, though.

Per the recall, mine is a 2007, which precedes the issue with the rectifier from what I can find. The year does suggest that I'll need to update the clutch, though I had my eye on a Mallossi unit and bell that should sort the issue. Seems to be a popular mod, though it's hard to know if it actually improves things or just looks cool...

Just my own two cents - I am the same height as Priller and I have always found bikes with at least modest windscreens to be less fatiguing than bikes without (except handlebar mounted screens). Adjustable screens are 👌

Just my own two cents - I am the same height as Priller and I have always found bikes with at least modest windscreens to be less fatiguing than bikes without (except handlebar mounted screens). Adjustable screens are 👌
It's a balance, for sure. Any truly naked motorcycle I've ridden has had a lot more buffeting and dirty air than something with a fairing and screen (though not this scooter as-is!). But for me, bigger screens aren't always better. If it weren't for the abysmal tank range, I could tour happily on my Tuono, despite the relatively small flyscreen, as it smooths the airflow nicely and isn't loud or bouncy at all. The Burgman with the screen fully extended is verging on feeling like a barn door for me already, and adding the needed 4-5"+ inches of height is an insane amount of screen acreage to push through the air.

Per the recall, mine is a 2007, which precedes the issue with the rectifier from what I can find. The year does suggest that I'll need to update the clutch, though I had my eye on a Mallossi unit and bell that should sort the issue. Seems to be a popular mod, though it's hard to know if it actually improves things or just looks cool...
Some 07 Burgmans were fitted with the 5 shoe clutches which address the problem of the clutch chatter. It it weren't for the parts shortages I would not recommend Mallossi clutch and pulleys if your Burgman has the newer clutch. The chattering coming from the clutch on pre 08 Burgman was a dust buildup from wear on the clutch. On my 08 it would occur if I had been doing alot of city riding and doing tight donuts where the clutch would be stressed. Taking off the clutch cover and using compessed air to blow out the dust solved the problem. Highway riding helped keep the dust down by causing a draft on the vent on the botton of the clutch cover which would pull the dust out. Wear a dust mask and be mindfold of which way the wind is blowing if doing outside. The clutch dust is like talc. Get caught downwind of it you'll look like pigpen in the Peanuts cartoons.

Back
Top Bottom