Comments re fallen riders | GTAMotorcycle.com

Comments re fallen riders

nobbie48

Site Supporter
I often think there is a lot of learning potential in the fallen rider forum. The FACTS causing a crash could help others avoid similar mishaps.

Unfortunately uninformed judgmental and derogatory comments evolve and the victims or their loved ones end up hearing trash talk while they're healing or in mourning. Even facts can hurt. Does a mother want to relive the fact that at 2:00 AM after colliding with a truck, her young son's mangled body, laying alone in the dark on a cold dirty road, eventually stopped breathing?

Mods, delete if inappropriate.

I don't know whether it's the right forum to discuss mishaps, it's there to offer condolences. Perhaps there ought to be a forum on safety and best practices where situations could be discussed/debated.

Here's a good example: The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread I'm guessing this is a relatively new rider who thought he was in the good. A plethora of rookie errors in his video were pointed out by the mob, possibly a little harsh but he took the feedback honorably -- hopefully learned something that will make him a safer rider.

iirc one of the mods reminded us last year that the fallen riders section was for posting the notice and condolences only. And all other comments should be left out of it.
But I will agree with you and MM, everyone pointing out the errors in the BDoO thread was, at least for me, a good learning experience/ reminder.
Maybe a thread in the general discussion section?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

iirc one of the mods reminded us last year that the fallen riders section was for posting the notice and condolences only. And all other comments should be left out of it.
But I will agree with you and MM, everyone pointing out the errors in the BDoO thread was, at least for me, a good learning experience/ reminder.
Maybe a thread in the general discussion section?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Wing boy gave me an infraction for comments about left turning vehicles in fallen riders.

I say start a thread in general and see how it goes. I suspect if the discussion becomes about current fallen riders (unless the rider is the one posting) it will quickly be shut down, but if we keep it about close calls it should be good for all.

I was on a mission for a long time keeping the forum cleaned up. It's tough because there is no grey area. No discussion means just that. Í am going to move this to general and see if Paul wants to create something. It's a good idea. Thanks everyone.

You can't even show road rash as a PSA here without it getting moved and deleted. Good luck turning unfortunate accidents into learning moments.

We can all learn (and should) from the misfortunes of others. That is the norm in aviation.
It can only be done through analysis. Just facts; no emotions or derogation, please.

Always good to learn from the mistakes of others, even in tragic circumstances

RIP has the value of a fart into the wind
but I don't pay the server bill

mods appear to do a fine job

A “why we crash” thread would be good. Our own mishaps, narrated by the crashee, with honest feedback. If it gets out of hand or gets too infantile then lock it and forget about it. I’d certainly like to learn about what not to do in certain situations.

We can all learn (and should) from the misfortunes of others. That is the norm in aviation.
It can only be done through analysis. Just facts; no emotions or derogation, please.

The problem for the mods is where do they draw the line of appropriateness. How do you politely say the rider was stupid as is sometimes the case. A majority of the population probably thinks just getting on a motorcycle is stupid.

Aviation crashes are minutely reviewed and detailed accurate reports from experts are eventually released. Traffic crashes are too frequent for that level of investigation and we, the peanut gallery, do not have access to the detailed facts.

A lot of comments would be preaching to the converted. The benefit being desired is to get riders to think about what could happen before it happens and getting them to adjust their riding accordingly. Think and thrill are poor partners.

Placing it in the new riders section is probably why it's invisible. What is a new rider anyway? M1, M2, M with 500KM experience. If you ask rider with 2 years and 5000KM on an M2, is he going to identify himself new or experienced?

I prefer terms like novice, intermediate and seasoned with time and mileage attachments. To me a novice rider is one with less than 15,000 km and 2 years and seasoned >100K and >5 years. I draw those lines from years of riding hundreds of riders, seeing novice mistakes and seasoned rider tactics. I believe mileage and time both factor -- mileage for hands on control, time for observation and reflection.

Setup a standalone forum "Lessons Learned" with a few categories i.e. braking, cornering, accelerating, riding in the rain, riding at night.

Back
Top Bottom