Cold Weather Running Question (and history) | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cold Weather Running Question (and history)

Here's how to tell if you have the original (stock/OEM) vs. slip-on vs. full exhaust (based on 5 minutes of googling, I could be wrong):

OEM headers look like this:
1698273615810.png

OEM muffler looks like this:

1698273719847.png

If your headers look like the above and your muffler does not, then you have a slip-on system. These typically do not require re-jetting, but many people do for optimal performance.

If neither look like the above, then you have a full system. These typically do require re-jetting.

I'm at work, and don't have the bike with me today. This is the closest I have to a photo of the headers. The bike with the front facing the camera is the 03, and you can see the cross section of the header like on the on Relax posted.
So it seems it's slip-on. I wondered what slip-on meant. This makes sense.

Attachments

• 20230501_223611.jpg
    20230501_223611.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
  • Summer - NoSaddle LR.png
    Summer - NoSaddle LR.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
A 2003 Hindle pipe was 4 into 1
The 4>2>1 came out in 2012/14 era

Look at the header, if there are springs holding together it's probably a Hindle. If it has spigots at the head it probably aftermarket. If it has flanges, but no spigots, it's probably stock

Why turn the choke off so early if it's still running like crap? Valve timing/clearance differences can obviously affect how an engine runs.
I've only ever used the choke until the bike can idle without it. Is that not how it's meant to be used? (not sarcasm)
I've never been formally taught anything motorcycle related. I'm self-taught, and have no friends who ride.

I've only ever used the choke until the bike can idle without it. Is that not how it's meant to be used? (not sarcasm)
I've never been formally taught anything motorcycle related. I'm self-taught, and have no friends who ride.
I use choke until the engine is happy. Depending on how cold-blooded the bike is, normally full choke for a minute or so, then half choke while I ride away. If it wants to die when I give it throttle, it needs choke for more time. Once it gets heat in it and is happy to accept throttle (normally less than five minutes of riding), turn choke off and check to make sure it doesn't die with quick throttle. No choke required for the rest of that ride.

I use choke until the engine is happy. Depending on how cold-blooded the bike is, normally full choke for a minute or so, then half choke while I ride away. If it wants to die when I give it throttle, it needs choke for more time. Once it gets heat in it and is happy to accept throttle (normally less than five minutes of riding), turn choke off and check to make sure it doesn't die with quick throttle. No choke required for the rest of that ride.
Okay, when summer riding with my 03, and with the 01 last winter, as soon as it would hold an idle without choke (usually 30 seconds to a minute), the bikes run great. No hesitation. What you describe is similar to how my 03 runs in the cold, so I guess it's not that bad or unusual? I'm just spoiled by how great the 01 ran in the cold?

I've never liked driving/riding with the choke on, or even the high idle on FI. The way I see it, if the motor needs the choke, it's not ready to be run.
Thats fair enough too. I just don't feel like waiting beside the bike for so long. If it's cold enough out, it can take quite a while at idle to get warm enough to turn off choke.

Ok....Well no one has mentioned the Fuel position being in "Prime" when Bike has been sitting for a long time. Have you tried starting your Katana that way, then switching over to "ON" after running for a bit? See if that is the actual issue. Prime just allows the fuel to Potentially flow to the Carbs at any time. You have to Prime Dry carbs with Fuel before you even start it up.

Ok....Well no one has mentioned the Fuel position being in "Prime" when Bike has been sitting for a long time. Have you tried starting your Katana that way, then switching over to "ON" after running for a bit? See if that is the actual issue. Prime just allows the fuel to Potentially flow to the Carbs at any time. You have to Prime Dry carbs with Fuel before you even start it up.

He swapped the carbs from one bike to the other, so there should be no operational differences.

Back
Top Bottom