Clutch cable replacement | GTAMotorcycle.com

Clutch cable replacement

bengali548

Hey guysMy 08 ninja 250 just hit 15000 clicks and I was wondering
1) when should I replace my clutch cable to avoid it snapping
2) is the cable expensive
3) is it a relatively easy replacement
4) I dont have the Kawi manual is there any other specific part I should be worried about at this mileage

4) I dont have the Kawi manual is there any other specific part I should be worried about at this mileage

OEM cables should last well over 50,000 kms with regular care/lube.
No it's not expensive
it's extremely easy to replace

At 15,000 kms - I wouldn't be worried about anything at all.

In replacing any cable -here's a useful trick. DO NOT just loosen the connectors and yank the cable out! Take the new cable -attach it to an old cable end (tape it end to end and make sure it's secure) the pull form that end. This way -you get the right cable length -cut n connect. The new cable cable winds itself thru the bike -from the old cable path -you dont have to play find the cable too much. If you can, or if you have that little jig thingy -lubricate the new cable internally. You can get the jig thingy at Pricess Auto for $4 or so.

Hope that helps.

Buy a cable now
Route it alongside the current one
hide the ends somewhere neatly and properly in the frame
when your current on fails, simply connect the two ends of the new cable
remove old cable

you will probably sell the bike before you need to replace the cable, or you will bail and snap it.

also, if you find yourself needing to adjust it often and are running out of adjustment, that may be an indication of a good time to replace it. just don't be fooled by hot days.

Clutch cables virtually always snap at the brake lever end. You can see from underneath if any cable strands are beginning to fray. That would be a sure sign of cable failure.

I have an 08 ninja 250 as well with 26,000kms and i just had my clutch cable nearly snap on me right where RetroGrouch mentioned, right at the brake lever.

It happened fast. I was out riding and was about 40 minutes from my house when i noticed. i went to park the bike and with the clutch pulled in i could still feel the engine pulling slightly. so i looked at the clutch lever and sure enough the cable was shedding. So i rode home but by the time i got there i could barely shirt gears and i'd have to turn the bike off at every stop light because otherwise it would just stall.

but fixing it was a breeze. a new cable it $30 and it took me 30 minutes to replace it.

Back
Top Bottom