Cleaning Rust | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cleaning Rust

iegod

I'm about to buy a used bike but I've noticed a bit of rust on the lower part of the exhaust. It's not overly worrying but I'd like to clean it up just the same once I take it into possession. What's the best way to go about cleaning this? Dish soap + steal wool? Something like Nevr-Dull? After I clean it up, what type of coating should I apply to seal it/prevent more rust?

can use polishers for exhaust that will remove rust and fine scratches... mothers product line has one. can be found at canadian tire auto section... use a cotton cloth and rub the rust out...

I've found that WD40 and extra-fine steel wool or a scotchbrite pad is good for removing rust. Spray it on, leave it sit for a minute or 2, and the buff.

I can't remember the name of the stuff but Canadian Tire and others sell a little brown jug of stuff that seals rust and prevents it from spreading. So once you clean all the loose rust off, an application of this stuff prevents more from forming. NOTE: It does turn rust black, so cosmetically it doesn't fix anything. It's paintable when dry but that doesn't help on an exhaust.

Wet sand it out. I do my exhaust about once a year.
I know it feels weird to be taking sandpaper to something you want to make shine but it works.

I'll start with 600 grit if it isn't in that great of shape, then take those scratches out with 800 then finish with 1000 grit then use autosol (best stuff in my mind) and a cotton cloth. My headers are like a mirror, not a flaw in them. My bike is an 05 and they look brand new.

Autosol and #00000 steel wool will get most surface rust out. If the rust has gone through the chrome layer there is nothing you can do.

I go to NAPA to get my Autosol.

My pipes are not chrome, they are the standard headers for an FZ6. What bike are you doing this to?

I go to NAPA to get my Autosol.

My pipes are not chrome, they are the standard headers for an FZ6. What bike are you doing this to?

Ninja 650R with LeoVince SBK exhaust. Looks like I can pick up some autosol from Home Hardware even. Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll post my before/after shots once I complete the work.

Back
Top Bottom