Cleaning female bullet connectors | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cleaning female bullet connectors

timtune

Site Supporter
Any tips? I'm about to go through the whole harness (1976 Honda) before it goes back on. The males are easy but like in life the female is a different story.

how about those air brush cleaning bristles?....inexpensive & comes with a few sizes. good for cleaning different types of tiny holes.
+ motor spray/electronic cleaner

Last edited:
Where would you get those?

I think they might be to gentle- I assume for an airbrush they're nylon or similar plastic. I really think a wire bristle is needed. I've used bits of rolled up sandpaper but it sooooo tedius.

I'm really hoping for bitzz to chime in with the magic solution.

Would dangling the ends in a ultra sonic cleaner bath work?

just google air brush cleaning bristles....you will get crap load of options. You can find them in art supply stores but looks like amazon & walmart has the same or similar products. they are good for scrapping off dried paint.

Split shaft with a small strip of sandpaper inserted. Chuck the shaft in a drill and it should be quick.

Anything that'll fit the connector and the dremel, or fine wire brushes, or at the Princess:

Screenshot_20211029-101206_Samsung Internet.jpg

When in doubt, Princess Auto.

images

images

Any tips? I'm about to go through the whole harness (1976 Honda) before it goes back on. The males are easy but like in life the female is a different story.
I use .17cal barrel brush, fits perfectly into bullet connector. Use a low speed drill or twist between your fingers.

When I put connectors back together, I coat them with GB OxGard. It's great because it works with Aluminum, brass and copper-- you will never need to clean a connector again.

I gotta throw this out once more - what about the ultra sonic cleaner? If it worked it would be the perfect solution for someone as lazy as I.

How bad are they? Maybe just contact cleaner and a q-tip would do.
Not sure yet. I'm going through a few harnesses I have to find the best one. Regardless they're all circa mid 70 so I assume cleaning will be in order.

Take the mating male connector and cover it in dielectric grease, then plug and unplug it a few times. You'll be fine.

I gotta throw this out once more - what about the ultra sonic cleaner? If it worked it would be the perfect solution for someone as lazy as I.
Your issue with bullet connectors is oxidation, this is not easily removed with ultrasonic cleaning, it does come off easy with a wire brush and a mild acidic cleaner. If the connectors are aluminum, you will need the wire brush as the powdery aluminum oxide is an insulator. Brass is less a problem, you might get away with just contact cleaner.

The most foolproof is to cut off the bullets and replace with new brass. Not hard, not expensive, just tedious. But do is cleaning .

Back
Top Bottom