Clean current injectors or buy new from China? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Clean current injectors or buy new from China?

Rossi86

Site Supporter
I have never sent fuel injectors to be cleaned professionally so don't know what the process involves and what the fees would be for 4 injectors? I think the current injectors might be clogged beyond cleaning, they would need to be taken apart completely and back-pressured to remove traces of anti-slosh tank foam. On eBay I see fuel injectors from China $50-60 for a set of 4 for a 2003 gsxr1000, anyone ever try these?

Buying used, I'd run the risk of clogged like mine; and new from dealer, forget it, for a set of 4 almost $1000

Just cleaning?
.... and you are not doing it yourself because ?

There are u-tubes on how to do it, some with inadequate safety precautions being observed :| but they can give you the right idea,
basically you take it off and pump liquid carb cleaner through it, will become very obvious if it is still plugged or not,
unless you have some rocks in there or it's broken that will work.

I had some K75 injectors cleaned at taylor diesel 15 years ago. Apparently they clean and then flow test them for pattern and volume. They didn't provide any sort of test report though so who knows. IIRC 3 injectors was ~$100. It didn't solve my problem (crap ability to start when below freezing) so who knows if they even needed it in the first place.

Personally I would be all over cleaning before chinese injectors (unless you can get a recent review for the injectors you are considering). There is no reason that china injectors have to suck, but as they are obviously price point driven, I wouldn't be surprised if they did. That price is way too cheap.

There are ppl in the paddock that get their cleaned every year. IIRC at, as Grey Ghost said, diesel shop.

The anti slosh foam isn't supposed to break down, what kind of fuel have you been running?

... and how did chunks of it get past the fuel filter?

Just cleaning?
.... and you are not doing it yourself because ?

There are u-tubes on how to do it, some with inadequate safety precautions being observed :| but they can give you the right idea,
basically you take it off and pump liquid carb cleaner through it, will become very obvious if it is still plugged or not,
unless you have some rocks in there or it's broken that will work.

I tried cleaning with break cleaner and air compressor, it didn't work; this method worked on the 2008 gsxr1000 injectors (8 of them) that had similar symptoms, the the fuel pump was swapped on both bikes. I've watched youtube vids all methods show forward cleaning with a solvent. Unless there is a method to take them apart with some pressure backflow it likely won't work.

When I opened the fuel pump it was full of anti-slosh foam material and the filter had a small hole. So all smaller particles went through. Solvent won't do much, it needs the filtretes removed with back pressure to get rid of that stuff.

There are ppl in the paddock that get their cleaned every year. IIRC at, as Grey Ghost said, diesel shop.

The anti slosh foam isn't supposed to break down, what kind of fuel have you been running?

I always run shell 91, but the 2008 race bike with anti-slosh foam had race gas in it for sure at some point. The pump was there, and now on the 2003.

... filter had a small hole.
That's more then just a small point :|
That's closer to the one I plunged off the floating dock into the lake. Fuel filter is part of the 1000$ fuel pump assembly on 3 of my bikes.

Figure+78-6+Cross-section+of+a+typical+port+fuel-injection+nozzle+assembly.+These+injectors+are+serviced+as+an+assembly+only%3B+no+part+replacement+or+service+is+possible+except+for+replacement+of+external+O-ring+seals..jpg

That's what I thought, one whole unit that can't be taken apart. I might just buy the cheap China ones, and at worst I lose $60. Or keep an eye for a used set coming off a running bike just being parted out, if they've sat for too long with gas in them, they're done. Tried a set from another racer on the paddock for the 2008. You could smell the gas had gone bad in them and they were even worse than mine, the bike wouldn't start at all, likely zero fuel was going through them...

Back
Top Bottom